Dressing in Paris in Sept.

momofmeg

I don't want to hijack Esther's thread anymore so I just thought I would ask-and cavier gal I remember you saying last year you bought brookstick skirts for wearing in Europe.

I have a couple of cotton ones-since it is so hot in Paris is Sept.- do you think that would be a good thing for a day's excursion?

We are going to take that bus into Paris from LaHarve. I imagine we will be gone most of the day as the ship docks at 7am and leaves at 11pm.

I don't want to hijack Esther's thread anymore so I just thought I would ask-and cavier gal I remember you saying last year you bought brookstick skirts for wearing in Europe.

I have a couple of cotton ones-since it is so hot in Paris is Sept.- do you think that would be a good thing for a day's excursion?

Skirts will be great for Paris in September. Remember they wear black, black and more black. Pastel, flowery skirts would not be a good choice. I have several black skirts that are very lightweight and perfect for Europe in the fall.

Broom Stick shirts are great as are sleevless dresses which may have a matching jacket or shrug in both Paris and Rome. Remember that to enter churches in Europe one must wear "proper attire". No bare arms, shorts or mini-skirts and most cathedrals enforce this policy. Also, you will make a PIT stop on the tour bus. European WC's are different than in the USA. It will be much easier with a skirt on and their won't be much of a line! You will see what I mean when you get there.

Do plan on mix and match pieces in black, tan and navy. Capri's, jumpers or skirt outfits are great and can go right to the dining room when tours return late. bring, especially a light jacket or coverup that can go over many outfits. Buses get really cool with the AC.

what abou one of those "ethic print" skirts? I have one that is mostly black.

I don't think we will visit any churches this trip-this is a cruise and Paris is like 3 hours from LaHarve so we will be on the bus most of the day-I guess we will there probally 4 to 6 hours at the most-so I doubt we will tour any churches not enough time-Versailles is a palace right?

Actually, momofmeg, I generally pack linen or a blend for my skirts for Europe for summer for city sightseeing. If I was on the Italian or French Riviera or Lido in Venice, I would go a bit more boho.

I like a mid calf or below the knee length (great for churches, etc) and I have several lightweight twin sets with the cardigan that has 3/4 length sleeves. The bottom are tank tops which is great for the heat and then I can just throw on the cardigan as I need to.

I also will pack of nice capris.

Shoes are important as the streets are uneven and you will be walking a lot. There is a good thread on that very subject right now. I bring at least two pair of good walking shoes and swap them out. I am not one who would ever wear athletic shoes of any kind except to the gym or for my morning run.

I have never done a ship excursion as I prefer to plan my own time and schedule. I would research what you want to see and find out if tickets are available to confirm ahead of time to avoid waiting in line.

I pack in a limited range of colors as nanatravel says so I can mix and match.

Two suggestions: (1) think about takikng a language class since you have so much time to prepare. It would be fun and also is appreciated by those that live in the countries you are visiting. (2) When you are warned about pickpockets in places like the Eiffel Tower, BELIEVE IT! I am a seasoned traveller and was expertly ripped off the ET a few years ago. I did try to report it but the police could have cared less. It was a hassle to cancel all the credit cards and such as they took the entire wallet. I truly never felt a thing:o.

Actually, momofmeg, I generally pack linen or a blend for my skirts for Europe for summer for city sightseeing. If I was on the Italian or French Riviera or Lido in Venice, I would go a bit more boho.

I like a mid calf or below the knee length (great for churches, etc) and I have several lightweight twin sets with the cardigan that has 3/4 length sleeves. The bottom are tank tops which is great for the heat and then I can just throw on the cardigan as I need to.

I also will pack of nice capris.

Shoes are important as the streets are uneven and you will be walking a lot. There is a good thread on that very subject right now. I bring at least two pair of good walking shoes and swap them out. I am not one who would ever wear athletic shoes of any kind except to the gym or for my morning run.

I have never done a ship excursion as I prefer to plan my own time and schedule. I would research what you want to see and find out if tickets are available to confirm ahead of time to avoid waiting in line.

I pack in a limited range of colors as nanatravel says so I can mix and match.

Two suggestions: (1) think about takikng a language class since you have so much time to prepare. It would be fun and also is appreciated by those that live in the countries you are visiting. (2) When you are warned about pickpockets in places like the Eiffel Tower, BELIEVE IT! I am a seasoned traveller and was expertly ripped off the ET a few years ago. I did try to report it but the police could have cared less. It was a hassle to cancel all the credit cards and such as they took the entire wallet. I truly never felt a thing:o.

I have great walking slide sandals but we want to do the bus through the cruiseline-because we don't want to be left. I don't want to swim to Ireland.

I was thinking crinkle cotton broomstick skirts because linen does not stay looking nice on me in heat. I would wear that to dinner on ship but probally this day we will eat therein just one of those simple cafes or grab something from the lido resturant or room service when we get back. I think I will probally be too tired for dinner and we may miss our dinnertime anyway doing the excursion.

We do hope to sometime do a tour of France and Italy but that will be another trip and probally 10 years in the future-as we only do a nice trip about every 5 years and hubby wants to go to Hawaii after this. We also want to go back to Alaska-maybe we will do all this if we live long enough!

Esther I loved the little dancers in your photos-made me think of Riverdance!

I love Chico's Travelers separates. I have black capris, slacks and skirts and they worked well for Paris. In Sept. 2004 we were there right about the middle of the month for several days and it was chilly! In fact, it was more chilly in Paris than London or Austria that trip. Be sure you bring a light jacket.

Non Parisians look just that and it doesn't matter what you wear as long as it is tasteful. My first trip to Paris I listened to all the Paris fashion talk on the very informative Fodor's board and thought I should try to fit in, that is, to wear black and white and heels. That was not necessary. I didn't even try to wear the heels, just my very comfortable black patent 3 strap Birkenstock sandals. Paris is full of travellers and they wear lots of different styles. Paris is the perfect city to walk, so bring your most comfortable shoes or sandals and enjoy.

Try to get to Ste. Chapelle if you have time!

Okay Esther said it would be really hot-if it is cool-no problem I will just wear a pantsuit.

I had planned to bring some sort of jacket-I figured I would need it in Ireland.

I guess I could just pack something in cotton and wear it if needed. I hope it will be cool-the heat really drains my energy.

Okay Esther said it would be really hot-if it is cool-no problem I will just wear a pantsuit.

I had planned to bring some sort of jacket-I figured I would need it in Ireland.

I guess I could just pack something in cotton and wear it if needed. I hope it will be cool-the heat really drains my energy.

Versailles is a palace right?

Yes. Versailles is a palace built in the early 17th century as a hunting lodge by the French kings, then expanded by Louis XIV in the 1680's. Louis was called the Sun King and held court at Versaille, which was made to show how rich and powerful he was. There are some beautiful rooms like the long Hall of Mirrors, and the Salon de Hurcules with true frescoes on the ceiling.

Last I heard the EU was putting money into restoration, but it is quite a splended place regardless. The architecture is incredible and there are some great examples of Baroque art that are breathtaking.

The gardens and fountains are fabulous as well!

If you do visit it, you will never forget it.

Enjoy your "dream cruise"!

~e

I have great walking slide sandals but we want to do the bus through the cruiseline-because we don't want to be left. I don't want to swim to Ireland.

I was thinking crinkle cotton broomstick skirts because linen does not stay looking nice on me in heat. I would wear that to dinner on ship but probally this day we will eat therein just one of those simple cafes or grab something from the lido resturant or room service when we get back. I think I will probally be too tired for dinner and we may miss our dinnertime anyway doing the excursion.

We do hope to sometime do a tour of France and Italy but that will be another trip and probally 10 years in the future-as we only do a nice trip about every 5 years and hubby wants to go to Hawaii after this. We also want to go back to Alaska-maybe we will do all this if we live long enough!

Esther I loved the little dancers in your photos-made me think of Riverdance!

I think you re on the right track. I just did this same trip in April of this year. We did the "Paris on your own" day trip and it definitely is at least 2 1/2 hours to get there from LaHavre. It took us almost 3 1/2 with traffic to return so you are very smart to use the cruiseline. Turned out they had to hold the ship for us as well as two other excursions due to traffic. They would not have done that if it was not a ship-sponsored trip. Apparently there is only one main road in and out so you have no choices if there is traffic. Plus, some people took the train and guess what? They were stuck on the train for over 3 hours. Some missed the ship and had to catch up with the ship at the next port!

First off, the problem with wearing Linen is that you will be all wrinkled by the time you get off the bus. Skip the linen as I would definitely go with a comfortable, flowy skirt. A tank top and cardigan is perfect in case it gets cool. If it stays warm, just throw the cardigan over your shoulders.

Most important was definitely the comfortable shoes. Sneakers are definitely a no-no, but otherwise be comfortable. To be honest, I had trouble distinguishing stylish tourists from natives. I had worried before hand about being very stylish and trendy to fit in, but found that the same fashions being worn here are also the same there. Was surprised at the amount of jeans, just about everyone had them one! Others may disagree, but that was my observations.

I don't think we will visit any churches this trip-this is a cruise and Paris is like 3 hours from LaHarve so we will be on the bus most of the day-I guess we will there probally 4 to 6 hours at the most-so I doubt we will tour any churches not enough time-Versailles is a palace right?

Versailles is supposed to be beautiful! I went to palaces in Berlin and Prague, but Paris is still one of my dream trips!

Versailles - Just be sure that you know what is actually open and what is under renovation. The Hall of Mirrors, one of the highlights of Versailles was and I believe still is under construction. I was not wowed by Versailles. I must have built it up too much in my mind. We had been to the Residenz in Wurzburg and maybe we were spoiled by that? There is another palace that Versailles was based upon, it is smaller, and less toured, http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/ I think I'd rather do that. Of course, that's easy for me to say having done Versailles. Also, for some odd reason, I had the impression Versailles was removed from the hustle and bustle, but it is not. It's very built up around the grounds.

Thanks guys- I still have a year to think and plan-you have been a big help and maybe the smaller palace is better.

mdmom-I just love beautful things especially in enterior decorating-so if you say this other palace is just as beautful-I may love it just as well-Versailles is just the one we hear about alot!

Joelmarj-because of the bus trip and the possibly hot day-I figured linen would be out for me-now if we were staying in Paris-it would be differant as I could go back to my hotel and change if need be-but with the bus trip that won't be possible.

Ehpride thanks-I know you went to Europe a couple of years ago-I think you said? We would like to go back sometime in the future and do a land tour-if we ever do that-Meg will probally go with us- as that won't be an anniversary celebration--we almost did this this time-as our orignal cruise was cancled so the JOS could go in drydock-I have always wanted to do a cruise in Europe and the TA's are a great value and this particualr ittenary by doing also a couple of ports in Canada-there are only 3 sea days in a roll. We did not want to do a 7 straight sea day TA.

Thanks everyone!

And if you don't want to leave Paris, who would?? then you can visit Musee Jacquemart-Andre near Montmartre or Musee Carnavalet in the Marais. http://www.parisnotes.com/museums/parismuseums.html

If I were in Paris for more than 5 days I'd do a day trip, but if I were only there 5 days I would not. Paris has so much to offer and so much atmosphere. I did not sit and people watch nearly enough, next time I hope we will.

If you like to read, I recommend the mystery series set in Paris, Aimee Leduc mysteries, by Cara Black. You can easily read them in a night or two and they are terrific. My favorites are Murder in the Marias (1st in series) Murder in the Sentier and Murder in the Bastille, but they are all great! They give you a different feel for each of the arrondisements. I love Paris!

http://www.carablack.com/

And if you don't want to leave Paris, who would?? then you can visit Musee Jacquemart-Andre near Montmartre or Musee Carnavalet in the Marais. http://www.parisnotes.com/museums/parismuseums.html

If I were in Paris for more than 5 days I'd do a day trip, but if I were only there 5 days I would not. Paris has so much to offer and so much atmosphere. I did not sit and people watch nearly enough, next time I hope we will.

If you like to read, I recommend the mystery series set in Paris, Aimee Leduc mysteries, by Cara Black. You can easily read them in a night or two and they are terrific. My favorites are Murder in the Marias (1st in series) Murder in the Sentier and Murder in the Bastille, but they are all great! They give you a different feel for each of the arrondisements. I love Paris!

http://www.carablack.com/

So you are saying Versailles is out from Paris huh? I guess then it may be too much for a short daytrip then.

Well, you know-when our first cruise got canceled I ws looking at tours and I found one that included airfare, transfer to hotel and the hotel stay for $1500 a person-5 days in Paris-with continennatal bkfast-no other meals-it did include a couple of tours though.We can't take that much vacation time next year but we thought possibly we could do that tour another time with our daughter.

I am sure it is nothing great-the hotel or anything-but since that won't be celebrating a big anniversary-just seeing more of Paris with our daughter, that will be okay.

Our daughter has always wanted to go there. We took her to Britian and Belguim when we went there 7 years ago-she did not really appreciate the trip-and we would have already gone back overseas to go to Ireland but she didn't want to-I guess Paris sounded more "romantic" to her. (ofcourse if she goes with good ole Mom and Dad how romantic can that be?)

She really wanted to go with her friends-but none of them had parents who would foot the bill like us and they did not have the money. So she always ended up just doing a cruise with us-that was the compromise-as she did not want to go to Ireland - so we would just do a cruise.

But now that she is an adult, if she wanted to go and pay her way, we would go with her. I will wait and see Versailles then.

I have seen it on TV-either HGTV or TLC had a series on castles and palaces of the world and I saw Versailles then, along with Hampton Court and Kensington and even Biltmore House was in the series. All those I have been to in person-just not Versailles since I have not been to France.

Momofmeg - Versailles is a definitely do-able day trip from Paris, about 40 minutes each way on the RER from the heart of Paris.

You can check all your hotels w/ those package deals at www.tripadvisor.com Just remember to add in the additional airfare since most of those offers are from NYC.

I have only ever stayed in 2 star hotels w/ AC in Paris and they were fine. You just need to do your homework first.

If I can get airfare to Europe for about $600 in summer - this summer NOT do-able at all! - then I'm gone. Or if I can get to Great Britain near a Ryan Air hub and I have a few months to plan, I'd do that and fly from Great Britain to the rest of Europe.

I promised 2nd oldest dd Europe for her 16th birthday but I did say it would have to be observant of my airfare price guidelines. I'd like to go again in Sept. or maybe April/May. We homeschool, so we can be a bit more flexible. But she also plays varsity sports, and volleyball seems to be prevailing so maybe April/May is better for a trip. If we have to wait for summer, then airfare might be more difficult to find at my target price.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help, but I guess I'm not talking anything about cruises on this thread anymore! Sorry! :rolleyes:

Oh, Fodors.com Europe talk board is a wealth of info too!

Momofmeg - Versailles is a definitely do-able day trip from Paris, about 40 minutes each way on the RER from the heart of Paris.

You can check all your hotels w/ those package deals at www.tripadvisor.com Just remember to add in the additional airfare since most of those offers are from NYC.

I have only ever stayed in 2 star hotels w/ AC in Paris and they were fine. You just need to do your homework first.

If I can get airfare to Europe for about $600 in summer - this summer NOT do-able at all! - then I'm gone. Or if I can get to Great Britain near a Ryan Air hub and I have a few months to plan, I'd do that and fly from Great Britain to the rest of Europe.

I promised 2nd oldest dd Europe for her 16th birthday but I did say it would have to be observant of my airfare price guidelines. I'd like to go again in Sept. or maybe April/May. We homeschool, so we can be a bit more flexible. But she also plays varsity sports, and volleyball seems to be prevailing so maybe April/May is better for a trip. If we have to wait for summer, then airfare might be more difficult to find at my target price.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help, but I guess I'm not talking anything about cruises on this thread anymore! Sorry! :rolleyes:

Oh, Fodors.com Europe talk board is a wealth of info too!

Thanks but I imagine-that will be awhile away. At one point we thought we might do a short tour before our cruise and our daughter fly over with us and then she would fly home and we on to our boarding our cruise but my husband will be working for another company then-he has been "out sourced" which although he keeps his senority-he loses his saved vacation days. He will not even get to take a vacation next year until the time of our cruise. I think besides the cruise, he will have like 3 more days or something like that-he would like to save one or two so he can take a longweekend.

I did see where you can go to Paris in one of those flight/tour packages at Christmas time for even less-I guess that is not a popular time for people to go. I bet it is probally freezing then-but who knows we might could swing going then next winter or the following winter.

I've never been to Paris in the winter, only the summer, but I'd go anytime. There are so many indoor things to see/do that you'd be fine. I wouldn't be tempted to stay out so late at night and it would probably be a more restful trip. In fact, many seasoned travellers prefer the off season because the tourists are fewer and the crowds less. I'd go in the winter in a heartbeat! :)

I've never been to Paris in the winter, only the summer, but I'd go anytime. There are so many indoor things to see/do that you'd be fine. I wouldn't be tempted to stay out so late at night and it would probably be a more restful trip. In fact, many seasoned travellers prefer the off season because the tourists are fewer and the crowds less. I'd go in the winter in a heartbeat! :)

well it was half the price-$800 instead of $1500. Plus at tha ttime of year my hubby has days off anyway for Christmas so he would need lsee vacation days. thanksgiving was more reasonable also though not half price.

Our daughter will be working with school system too so thos etimes would work for her.

Archived