7 Mile Beach

would like to know if you got off the ship at grand cayman and just got a taxi on your own to take you to 7 mile beach, do they drop you off at a public access. somewhere that has some facilities. didn't know if the cruise lines had some agreement with some hotels. or is it better to get an excursion?

Just grab a taxi/bus--there are plenty! and tell them you want to go to the beach! Every public access point has some sort of "facility"--bathrooms, snack bar and chair and umbrella rentals! Just keep your eye on the returning traffic--sometimes it gets so backed up, that you may need to leave the beach a bit early, to avoid missing the ship! There will be buses/taxis hanging around the beach areas for the return trip, too.

Defintely just grab a taxi. You can also negotiate with them if you want to go anywhere else. I really wanted my boyfriend to see the Sea Turtle Farm (it's great!) so we went there first. (Sorry, can't remember what we paid) and then he dropped us off at the beach. We were dropped off right by a little hut selling drinks (and blaring music), and you could pay a few dollars to rent a chair or an umbrella. I'm sure you could also ask to be dropped off in a quieter area.

My parents went on the same day, but didn't go to the Turtle Farm first. We didn't see them on the beach (it is, after all, MORE THAN 7 miles long), but they said they were in a fairly quiet area.

There are definitely taxis/van at the port and you will not have any trouble in getting one. When we were there, we grabbed a van which was filled with other cruisers and it made it a little cheaper than taking a taxi with just our group. There are different places in which you can get dropped off (can't remember where we went - maybe the Marriott, but not totally sure) :-) The taxi/van drivers can definitely give advice as to the hot spots. You could also ask your fellow cruisers to see where people are headed. But wherever you go, you will enjoy! Its a beautiful beach - and one of my favs!

I was just there last week keep in mind most of the beach was destroyed from hurrican but its getting rebuilt but looked to me most was closed.;)

Thanks for the tip! Can you give more details? Most of the beach was closed or most of the hotels were closed? The info that I have read on 7MB said that the beach itself actually got bigger because of the hurricane. I am planning my first stop in Grand Cayman, and I would really appreciate any additional information. :) Thanks!

Was there in April. Just took a taxi and asked to go to Sea Grape Beach. The water here in GC is unbelievable. It is the clearest that I have seen. It is at the top of 7 mile beach. WONDERFUL!!! Great facilities and a great beach bar with your typical beach bar food. Just remember, traffic coming back to ship is horrible. Give yourselves an hour to get back. If you do this on your own and not through the cruise line, they DO NOT wait for you.

All of 7 Mile Beach is public. Even the big fancy hotels have to allow for the general public to have access to the beach through their properties. :)

A cab driver will know where to take you that will have public restrooms, or whatever else you may need.

Seven Mile beach is absolutely gorgeous. It's famous for good reason!

T

You can take a taxi to the beach no problem, I went there in November. My best advice to you is to take a lot of cash. Everything in GC is expensive - you will need to pay to rent chairs/umbrellas/snorkeling equipment. Three fish and chips w/ drinks cost me $60. Just be prepared.

I am so happy to get all of this good information about Seven Mile Beach! Thanks to all of you experienced travelers!

I have heard Sea Grape Beach is less crowded than the other parts of 7MB. Is this true?

I want to go to Stingray City in the morning, and I don't want to run out of time on the beach. Is there another part of 7MB that is closer to where we catch the tenders but is still less crowded? I don't know if we will have enough beach time if we have to allow an hour to get back to the tendering point.

Thanks again! You all are great!

We went to Courtyard which is right next to Sea Grape and actually walked over to Sea Grape and rented jet skis. Taxis were waiting and were plentiful to take us back to port. The ride was about 10 mins or so to get back to town and this was with 4 ships in port our day. I highly recommend Sea Grape/Courtyard as the place to go on Seven Mile Beach. Cabs were $4 per person each way.

Archived