Copenhagen - NCL Dream

Katy P.

According to the NCL Dream itinerary to the Baltics, it will arrive there at about 7 PM and depart the following day @ noon. To those that went on the NCL Dream and saw Copenhagen on their own, how early did you start your day the following morning to see the sights around Copenhagen and still arrive at the ship on time? How long did it take for you to see the town? What did you see that morning? Did you still have time to see the changing of the guards in Copenhagen as I think it starts at noon? Can you give us a sample itinerary of your morning? I'm trying to see what I can do in Copenhagen for that almost half a day that the ship will be there. The HOHO tour doesn't start till 10 AM and waiting for that might cut my time even shorter in that port. Thanks for any advice. :) :) :)

According to the NCL Dream itinerary to the Baltics, it will arrive there at about 7 PM and depart the following day @ noon. To those that went on the NCL Dream and saw Copenhagen on their own, how early did you start your day the following morning to see the sights around Copenhagen and still arrive at the ship on time? How long did it take for you to see the town? What did you see that morning? Did you still have time to see the changing of the guards in Copenhagen as I think it starts at noon? Can you give us a sample itinerary of your morning? I'm trying to see what I can do in Copenhagen for that almost half a day that the ship will be there. The HOHO tour doesn't start till 10 AM and waiting for that might cut my time even shorter in that port. Thanks for any advice. :) :) :)

Katy I had the same question, we are on the May 5,2007 cruise, when are you going? Vicki :)

We were there in July but as we had done a tour previously we did not go any further than the shops along the pier on departure morning. We did the ship excursion canal cruise in the evening together with Tivoli, this was a very popular excursion and in the end the ship laid on extra shuttles to Tivoli but could not get extra canal boats so if you want to do this I would book in advance. The HOHO stop is opposite where the Dream berthed and I believe the trip is about one hour plus the time when you get off to see the sights so starting at 10am would not really allow you anytime to get off. I would think you would have to leave by no later than 8/8.30 to allow time to get to "downtown" Copenhagen and see the sights to get back in time. Of course if you think time is short it is best to go on the ship excuriosn as the boat will wait if it is late returning unlike if you go it alone - to prove the point a couple nearly didn't make it in Copenhagen -the Dream was a few minutes late leaving as she had to wait for the cycle excursion to return - the aft ropes had been released when they came running down the road and the shipping agent was prepared to let the Dream go but as it was the last port the Captain took it upon himself to re-berth to let them aboard for the sake of 10 mins it meant he hadn't lost any passengers but it proves what they say if you are not on boeard when she is due to leave they will sail without you.

This was our first cruise and we enjoyed it so much that we would not hesitate in booking it again.

Sue G

Hello

Just off the July 22nd trip. Copenhagen was beautiful. I would skip Trivoli Gardens if I was going again. Trivoli is an amusement park and there are now several in the world. I am sure it was stunning in 1870 but for the expense and time it was a waste.

The directions from the Dream were very poor for walking from the ship, as I was told by a walking couple. The next morning we left the ship at 7AM and walked along the road till we saw a taxi 26 krooners to downtown. I had the Rick Steves Guide book and we walked around the town and then took the bus back. We were back by 11:15. On the side of the bus it says in English - Cruise Ships. The Danes are smart and practical.

Great morning the pastrys and coffee were cheap and oh so exquisite.

Marzipan

Marzipan, where did the Dream dock? Was it Langelinie? Where did you get off in Downtown? Were there a lot of people walking around langelinie at that time of the morning when you left the ship? Was the ship allowing people to leave at that time of the morning or even at an earlier time? I too am planning to see Copenhagen on our own and with so little time.... too many things to see .... Thanks for any info. :)

Hi Katy P.

I am sorry but I do not recall the name of the area where the ship docked. It seemed that all the cruise ships docked close by. The local bus stopped right across the street. The driver took all sorts of currency, made change and was really nice.

I talked to people who had stayed out all night and I talked to people who were off with the sunrise 5:30AM. I think you can leave the ship at any time when it is in port. It is so far north it is light very late and very early so it is a wonderful place to walk around.

We were on the Dream in June and docked at Langerline. In fact we docked early and were off by 6.30pm. We walked along past the Little Mermaid to beyond Nyhavn (probabaly a couple of miles but a very pleasant walk). A little beyond there after a bit of exploring we got on the metro - sorry can't remember the name of the station but we got to the one that looked like "Copenhagen Central" - we had to change lines but it was all very modern and easy - we used a credit card at the machine to buy our tickets. Tivoli is right oposite the central station and we arrrived there about 9pm. We had plenty of time to look around before the parade 10pm and then some fireworks over the lake at 10.45. The parade was quite sweet and overall we enjoyed Tivoli, but I don't think we would need to go again and an hour or so before the parade was plenty (unless you like fairground rides, which we don't). It was certainly worth the money to go in and do something different on an evening in port.

We got the 26 bus back from outside Tivoli to the ship which was quite quick. I had been a bit disappointed about the strange timings of this port but actually it woked very well. We found that we did most of our sightseeing in the evening and just went for a walk the next morning. Would recommend anybody to make the most of the evening. If you don't want to go to Tivoli the Nyhavn area is very pretty and was buzzing with life and looked like a lovely (if pricey) place to go for a meal.

Enjoy Copenhagen !

I answered one of your other posts. We were in Copenhagen for 2 days pre-cruise. Again, I would suggest you get Rick Steves Scandinavian book and read up on your ports. It is easy and practical to follow his walking tours, and most of them only take about 90 minutes or so of pleasant strolling. We also did the one for Copenhagen. I also saw the #26 bus stopping at the port. It would be a good way to get into town. If I were on the Dream with that time schedule, I would probably do Copenhagen in the evening. It stays light very late, and there are crowds of people all over the main areas very late at night. We did the canal tour with Netto boats (suggested by Rick). It was pleasant and lasted about 90 minutes or so. I don't know how their schedule fits yours, but you could check their web site. We did not do Tivoli. We had planned to, but once we saw it from the outside, we didn't feel we wanted to invest that much time and money just to watch peole take carnival rides. Again, have fun. It is a very exhausting itenerary because of all the walking and time changes. By the last 2 days of our 10 day trip, we were doing short walks in the mornings and relaxing pool time in the afternoons.

Hi Katy,

First off, yes the Dream docks at Langelinie Pier.

I was on the Dream in June and, fortunately, we arrived in Copenhagen a little earlier than the posted time. As soon as it docked, we were off the ship. We walked for most of the evening. We started out by going past the Little Mermaid, then Amelianborg, and Nyhaven which was very lively. I found that to be a very interesting place and makes for great pictures. We then continued to Tivoli.

I personally did not feel that Tivoli was worth the time. I have no regrets going, but I would never go back. It was bacially an amusement park. We didn't stay long at Tivoli and walked back to Nyhavn. I would agree with most of the posters that you should try to see as much as you can in the evening. The following morning will go by very fast! With the Dream's itinerary, I don't think you'll be there to see the changing of the guard.

I, too, was hoping to catch the Netto canal ride that Rick Steves referred to, however, the timing wasn't conducive to the Dream itinerary, so we opted to walk most places. However, the busses are very convenient to take in Copenhagen.

With the ship docked in port overnight, you can leave the ship anytime you like that evening and next morning. We disembarked around 7 a.m. the following morning, took the #26 bus, which is right across the street from where the ship docks, and took that to Stroget Street which is the main street for all of the shopping. We had danish pastries and coffee that morning and just strolled Stroget and the shops. We then took the #26 bus back to the ship. We made sure that the bus we took back would get us to the ship at least 30 minutes prior to departure.

There are also shops at Langelinie Pier, so if you return to the ship a little early and aren't ready to embark the ship, you can stroll the shops there at the pier.

The Danish people were very friendly and we had a great time. I'm sure you will too!

Archived