How do you manage your luggage?

c_dog

I need to chime in here. The cruisline sometimes WILL NOT allow outside vendors or others to deliver luggage to the porters if the pax are not around. They INSIST it go with provisions.

We are experiencing a similar situation with X. One of our employees, who lives in Miami, is taking all our luggage to Miami from Phoenix (we own a logistics/trucking company). We are flying to Key West and the planes are too small for cruise luggage.

We were going to have our employee drop off the luggage. Cruiseline said NO unless it is packed as cargo and sent to provisions. Can't drop it off with the porters. So now we have to pick up our luggage at our drivers house (an extra 1.5 hours AND $175.00 from the MIA airport to our employee's house and back to the cruise terminal) and the real killer, fill out luggage tags when we get to the pier. We have very little time from the plane arrival from Key West to final boarding. X doesn't even send luggage tags anymore.

Other than fact that the cruise is paid for and we would loose quite a little bit of money (14 day South America cruise), DH wants to cancel. He truly may not go on the cruise, he is so disgusted.

Greatam, I wouldn't be happy with X either but maybe they are following the airline rules of not accepting luggage except directly from passengers. NCL said they wouldn't have had a problem if the CS agent had brought my suitcase on Sunday but the agent delivered it to the dock on Friday and left it with the provisions so NCL had no way of knowing it was even there--the longshoremen just load, they don't care what they are loading. And CS's Charleston agent didn't show up at all, so CS admits they dropped the ball all the way around with my order.

CS is a new service and they just need to workout the kinks; if they can it will be a great service. I'm hoping they work things out before my cruise next year because I loved not having to drag my suitcase to the airport, then the hotel and then the ship.

• 5 months later...

I Guess I Am Not The Only One Who Has Problems With Cruise Shippers. I Tried Calling Them 3 Times Within The Past Week And All I Get Is There Answering Service. I Guess This Is A New Form Of Customer Service. Also, I Wnt On A Cruise Last Year And They Claim They Were Short Staffed On A Holiday Weekend.

I Am Not Sure If I Would Use Them Again!!!!

If you are ever sailing with Cunard they have a service they call White Star Luggage Service. They use DHL and they pick up your luggage at home a few days before your sail date. The difference with this company rather than Cruiseshippers is that they will put your luggage into your cabin so it is there when you arrive.

They pick it up after you find it in the warehouse after debarkation and return it to your home.

It isn't cheap, but for people with mobility problems or singles would find it well worth while and just add the cost as part of your trip.

I Guess I Am Not The Only One Who Has Problems With Cruise Shippers. I Tried Calling Them 3 Times Within The Past Week And All I Get Is There Answering Service. I Guess This Is A New Form Of Customer Service. Also, I Wnt On A Cruise Last Year And They Claim They Were Short Staffed On A Holiday Weekend.

I Am Not Sure If I Would Use Them Again!!!!

HMB, Thanks for the update. My next cruise is in late Sept and I was thinking I would try CruiseShippers again because they assured me they were correcting the problems but I guess not. Since I fly in the day before and leave the day after my cruise, I think I'll use Federal Express to ship my bags to and from my hotel. At least I won't have to hang around baggage claim at the airports.

Regarding handling luggage as a solo traveler. I've learned to pack lighter. I take a garment bag that rolls and piggyback my carryon which I pack to the max. I also take a backpack so I can check both pieces of luggage. Nothing worse then trying to lift your heavy carryon above your head on the plane, especially if you're short like I am. If I can't find anyone to drive me to the airport (which I usually can't since I normally leave at the crack of dawn) I hire a car. Then I use the heck out of porters everywhere I go!

HMB, Thanks for the update. My next cruise is in late Sept and I was thinking I would try CruiseShippers again because they assured me they were correcting the problems but I guess not. Since I fly in the day before and leave the day after my cruise, I think I'll use Federal Express to ship my bags to and from my hotel. At least I won't have to hang around baggage claim at the airports.

I just tried their website (Cruiseshippers) and it will not load. All I get is a can't find notice. Could be they are no more!

What I do with the excess luggae is box it up and ship it UPS to the hotel I am staying before any cruise. Then I call the hotel to give them a heads up that it is coming.Then when it is due to arrive, I call the hotel again to verify it has arrived That way, I know that when I get to the embarkation city the day before sailing my luggage will be there. From the hotel to the pier is usually just a short taxi ride and the cabbie always is happy to load everything into and out of the trunk.

Also, should anything ever happen to the luggage between home and the embarkation city this gives me time to have UPS find it and get it there or time for me to buy new. Cheaper than any service and more peace of mind as I have a good idea where it all is located at any given time.

C dog,

I know exactly what you mean. I usually travel with one very large/VERY heavy suitcase & a carryon myself.

Once I've reached my destination, . . . At the Luggage claim in the airport I like to get as close to the carosel as I can. When I spot my HUGE black bag come into view I ask a guy standing close by if he'll help me pull it off the carosel. Fortunately I've never had anyone say "no". Once I have my bag in my pocession I either look for a porter or for a "Smart Cart". Even though my suitcase is on wheels, loading it onto a Smart Cart & being able to set my carryon in the basket in front of the cart makes it MUCH easier to get to where I need to go. Most airports charge $3 for each cart & are readily available near each carosel. (What a great idea someone came up with!!)

I also carry several $1 dolllar bills in my pocket. Asking a porter for assistance can be a huge help & a big time-saver. They'll load your bags onto their cart & wisk it away to your destination. All you need to do is follow him. Proper ediquette is to tip them at least $1 per bag. (well worth it in my opinion). In some cases your porter will also be able to get you to the front of a line waiting for taxis too. In this situation I like to tip him a bit more.

No need to get nervous about handling your luggage on your own. Just remember to pack light, and don't be afraid to ask for some assistance.

For what it's worth . . . . I find it to be much easier (and faster) to hop into a taxi to go to your ship from the airport rather than taking the shuttle bus's. Not only will you arrive at your ship much quicker, but your driver will handle your luggage for you. He'll pull right up to the area where the porters take your luggage to put them in the bin for cabin delivery. All you need to do is show the porter your documents and your luggage will aleady be on it's way to your cabin.

I hope you'll find this info helpful,

Island Annie

Archived