How do you manage your luggage?

c_dog

When I "soloed" before, I was much younger and able to 'do it all" myself. Now, that I am older attempting to go solo, luggage has become a big hurdle to overcome. Any suggestions....I know the crazyness of the airport baggage area and I am becoming concerned. Next May will be my first solo in years----help, I need suggestions.:eek:

Best advice: Pack light.

I find a back pack to be easier to carry on than the regular carry-on.

1 back pack + 1 medium suitcase is all you need. You can even achieve 1 backpack + 1 small suitcase if you plan well.

Make sure your suitcase rolls very easily.

If you use the mix&match technique and plan on doing 1-2 loads of laundry, you don't need much for a 7-day cruise. You can read on of my previous post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=364222 but it's possible to cut down even more on clothes.

The little black dress for formal nights (change accessories, wraps, shawl for renewing the look).

6 pairs of underwear (packed in ziploc, space saver)

3 bras (packed in ziploc, space saver)

2 bathing suits (packed in ziploc, space saver)

1 cover-up (packed in ziplocs, space saver)

3-4 pairs of capris and/or casual skirts (what you prefer)

4 t-shirts for the day

3 fancy tops for casual/informal nights

1 light jacket that matches most of your capris/t-shirts

2 wraps or shawls for the evenings

1 hat, baseball cap or visor

sunglasses

jewellery

fancy black shoes for formal/informal nights

comfy nice sandals for the day on the ship and casual nights

beach flip-flops

running/walking shoes (wear them for embarkation day).

Cruising solo, you won't need the over-the-door shoe holder because you will have plenty of room for your stuff.

Do you think you can handle 1 backpack + 1 small suitcase?

If not, I'll be very happy to bring all your stuff for you if you bring me with you on the cruise and I won't be intrusive at all. Please bring me with you! :D

I pack very light and use everything I bring. It didn't take me long to figure out how much a person can lug on vacation, only to realize that half the stuff you brought is never even worn ... I've never been the type to have to stare into a closet and wonder what to wear -- I just make do with what I've got.:)

So, it's one suitcase on wheels. One carry-on. My purse. That's it.

I utilize curbside check-in; airport shopping carts at baggage claim; porters at hotels; and dockside porters at the pier.

Rolling suitcase to start with. This holds all my clothes, shoes, etc. I usually carry my laptop backback with my computer and any electronic toys [ipod, speakers, chargers] as well. I also pack a small duffle bag that i can set on top of and attach to the handles of my roller bag for all the inevitable souviniers i end up with.

With the good advice given, I would only add to please allow yourself plenty of time. I feel so stress-free when I am not rushing around with my luggage. Take plenty of dollar bills for tipping porters. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Pack light, make sure all bags you bring have rollers. Mine all connect together, even my over the shoulder carryon, so I can actually bring more bags if need be. Also, don't be afraid to use porters. I used to not use them because I thought I was saving money, but in many places a good porter can get you ahead of lines and lead you in the right direction.

This year I'm not driving my self (I'm hiring a car:) ), so I will be dropped off right at the porter, this will aleviate trying lug the luggage through the mess of doors and elevator / escalators to get to check-in. And hopefully when they pick me up at baggage, they will help with the luggage (we'll see:p ). But I'm actually going to try to pack lighter for a 16 day cruise (19 day trip) than I have for a week long cruise - or at least equal!

Lisa

I've travelled over the past few years (land trips) under ten days with a carry on. On my last trip I was able to get myself on an earlier flight because I just had the carryon.

That said I now will try and train myself to cruise with less luggage. I figure, as a solo woman traveller, I need to be able to handle my own luggage easily.

Faith

• 2 weeks later...

C dog,

I recently read an article about a company that will ship your luggage from your home directly to your ship.

Once you arrive at the check-in area, you only need to verify/confirm your luggage and then it's given to the baggage handlers who will deliver it to your cabin.

I thought this sounded like a GREAT idea, and I know I saved the article "somewhere" as I was intending to use the service myself on my next cruise. Let me do some looking through my files, and I'll post their website on this thread when I find it.

Annie

I knew I had it here somewhere.

Here's the website for the company I mentioned that will ship your luggage from your home to your ship, so you can travel with just a carry-on:-)

Sounds like a good idea to me:-). If anyone sees any "loop-holes", within the site, please bring them to my attention here on this thread as I am hoping to use this service on my next cruise.

Hope this will help.

Annie

http://www.cruiseshippers.com/

Thank you very much for finding this link....I am very interested in checking them out!!! With all the crazy things going on at the airports now this seems to make that all dissapear!!! This company will make a mint if airports keep making more and more regulations!!!

Thanks again, I like it simply because I don't have to lug my own luggage!!

Your very welcome gxchange. I'll look forward to your comments when you get back.

Am curious to know if there were any "hidden" costs, if your luggage arrived on time as & was delivered to your cabin promptly as they indicate, and if there were any hassles with security issues.

Glad you took the time to look at the site and are willing to give them a try. I think it sounds like a GREAT idea!!

Since my one large suitcase usually weighs more than I do, I'm looking forward to being able to travel without it:-)

Have fun!

Annie

• 2 weeks later...

I admit to being a luggage junkie. I do try to minimise, but still end up with far more luggage than mentioned here.

My own personal solution is "-

Use a limo service from my home to airport

Use a porter to take luggage to check in

Check the two roll ons (weight about 35-45lbs) through to destinatin airport.

This leaves me with carryon plus handbag, (carryon is rollon so I park handbag on top)

At destination, use a cart/porter to handle all luggage to transfer bus, at hotel use staff to take main luggage to room

Next day staff transfer luggage to transfer vehicle, at pier porters take over

Go to cabin, leave carryon, handbag and I go to lunch.

At end of cruise reverse all schedules.

Yes I do spend quite a few $$ in "tips" but it is worth it.

Now if I could only find a way to have someone take care of my carryon etc when I have to go to the bath room, those pesky cubicles are so small!

The more I cruise or travel in general, the less I find I need to take with me. My last cruise :( was 2 years ago but it was a 17 day trip and I managed with a small suitcase and a large carryon. Now that you can no longer take creams, lotions, etc. with you on the plane I will have to rearrange my stuff but this is my basic list.

Suitcase: undies, jammies, socks, swimsuits, cover up, sleepwear, cotton knit capris (4), cotton knit pants (1), cotton knit tops (4), spandex knit long black skirt, spandex knit black pants; spandex knit tops assorted colors (3), sparkly tops (2), black heeled mules, silver or gold strappy heeled sandals, toiletries and cosmetics (packed in 2 zip lock bags in case of leakage).

Carry-on: medicines, jewelry, travel documents, camera, PDA, cell-phone, pocket sized rain poncho (these are available really inexpensively at drug stores etc.) I also carry a change of clothes in case my luggage gets :eek: lost:eek: .

I normally wear elastic waisted cotton knit pants to travel in with a t-shirt and a lightweight cardigan. And sneakers!!!! My suitcase is wheeled and my carry-on fits on the handles. I do use the services of porters whenever possible.

Have a great cruise!!

I thought I would pass on how I'm going to deal with taking the prohibited on my October cruise. I plan to use the service Annie found to ship my big suitcase directly to the ship and back. But because I want to completely avoid the luggage claim area at the airport, I'm going to send a box full of the prohibited stuff to my hotel and then ship it home after I get off the ship. I'll probably use Fed Exp 3-day service because it is fairly cheap.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well, I'm sitting in my hotel room in Charleston after a so-so 13 day cruise with my suitcase; I would not recommend Cruise Shippers. Short story: there was a slight problem in shipping the bag out but it was minor. When I boarded the ship I expected my luggage to arrive in the normal course; it didn't. Around 6:30 I went to the front desk and found the hotel manager bringing my bag across the way. I stopped her and said it was mine. She said it was put in the provisions area and they couldn't identify where it should go. Since NCL's luggage tag was on the top of the shipping bill, which is attached to the handle, you have to wonder why they couldn't figure it out. All the same, it should have been with everyone's luggage not in the provisions area but because no one from CS picks it up, it just gets loaded with the provisions. When I left the ship today there wasn't anyone from CS anywhere and no one at the dock knew what I was talking about. The people at my hotel tell me this happens all the time; the hotel will arrange to have Fed Exp pickup my suitcase on Monday, thus delaying its arrival at my home from this Friday to next Monday. CS sounds like a good service but they just don't have the people or organization to handle the job. Sorry, it sounded like such a great idea.

Gexchang,

I am SO sorry to hear about your negative experience with cruise shippers. I have to wonder if this happened because they are still fairly new and don't yet have the organization they seem to need. Thank goodness your bag arrived on the ship before you departed! (I met a woman on a cruise a few years ago whose luggage somehow didn't make it onto the ship and she was without EVERYTHING for 7 days!! I thought it was extrememly considerate of CCL to give her an "open-tab" in the gift shop to purchase whatever she needed (on CCL). (even a sequin dress & jewelery for formal night:-)

Still, I am sorry to hear your story but glad that you informed your fellow CCers so "hopefully" no one else will have just a "so-so" cruise.

But you say you had your NCL luggage tage on your handle AND the Cruise shippers label in clear site? hmmm . . . that IS strange that no one knew where to deliver the bag.

Again, sorry for your disappointment in CS.

Thanks again for the update.

Regards,

Island Annie<----won't be using CS as planned:-(

Still, I am sorry to hear your story but glad that you informed your fellow CCers so "hopefully" no one else will have just a "so-so" cruise.

But you say you had your NCL luggage tage on your handle AND the Cruise shippers label in clear site? hmmm . . . that IS strange that no one knew where to deliver the bag.

Again, sorry for your disappointment in CS.

Thanks again for the update.

Regards,

Island Annie<----won't be using CS as planned:-(

Hi Annie,

Just to clarify, my so-so cruise wasn't the fault of CS's at all. The delay in my luggage arriving on the first day was because they don't deliver it to the porters but put it with the ship's provisions at the terminal on Friday (I boarded on Sunday) and then it gets loaded like food and other supplies. I assume NCL hasn't had much experience with CS and when they found the suitcase in their provisions area sent it up immediately (it was brought up by the hotel director) to the front desk where fortunately I was standing in line to ask about it. I spoke with CS last night and they said their "agent" called me at home to arrange to meet me at the Charleston dock. Since I was on the ship and they knew that it seemed stupid to me that they would call me at home but that is what they said. When I pointed out I wasn't home but on the ship the CS guy had no response. Short story: they are picking it up on Monday and will expedite it so I have it by Friday. I wouldn't trust them again until I hear from others that they have had a more positive experience.

The so-so part of the cruise was due to problems on the ship itself. Long story short: NCL needs to dry dock the Majesty, clean it up and repair virtually everything. NCL's crew was so overwhelmed with issues that they really didn't listen or respond appropriately, so everyday it was a continuing struggle just to get into my room (four different keycards and I could have gone to six but they wore me out), dirty water every day, etc. I will say this, as a woman solo traveler I have never experienced the kind of resentment I did on this cruise because I was on my own. Other female solo cruisers, but not all, on this cruise has similar experiences.

Good news: My next cruise is on RC so I still have the cruising bug and I'm loving Charleston!

gxchang,

Are you going to write a review of your cruise? I would be very interested in reading it.

Luvcruzing,

Thanks for asking but I won't write a review because for the most part it would just come off as a long rant about customer service and the need for the ship to be dry docked and repaired. Who needs that?

But I will tell you what I really liked and who: Swimming with the stingrays was great, as was snorkeling in Aruba over a ship wreck. Helmet diving in St. Thomas was incredible. Leo, one of the shore excursion guys was great; he went with us swimming with the stingrays and was the one who suggested the Aruba snorkeling over the ship wreck. I ate 9 out of 12 nights in LeBistro (I worked my way through the menu, which was excellent) and the service and food was great. Special thanks to Rogeliza of LeBistro for offering to get me a new keycard because mine (my 3rd) wasn't working. Adina and Jonella were also excellent. The front desk manager (whose name I don't have) and Marilyn the disembarkment manager were also very kind to me, as was the hotel director (we only talked once). And the wait staff was for the most part was good. I caught a couple of the shows and the young people performing were good and worked very hard to entertain us.

There were a significant number of solo cruisers on this ship which really surprised me but it was great to have other solos there. I did feel kind o sorry for a couple of the guy solos who were in their early 30s, they were hoping for a younger crowd. The funniest thing was people kept saying that this or that was wrong or different "because of the old people." While there were a few people in their 30s and some in their late 40s, mostly it was populated by folks 65 and up. What was funny is after several days of hearing "because of the old people" I pointed out that where I come from we are the old folks! ;-)) People laughed and said, "yes, but we don't feel old!"

I wouldn't tell people not to go on NCL but I would caution them about going on the Majesty until it has been dry docked. Well, I guess this is a review, huh? ;-))

To make your return trip easier bring old clothes and as you use them just throw them away.

We did this on our recent 10 day cruise.

Even with "purchased goodies" luggage was lighter returning than it was going.

Highly recommend this technique.

Wife is handicapped so I have to handle luggage for 2. No fun. Utilize porters to max wherever and whenever possible.

Additional hidden benefit:

Wife has new excuse to buy new clothes when we get home.:D

Archived