Snorkeling with kids

Sipncocktails

We are sailing on Carnival Miracle on 10/01. This is our first cruise. Our boys are 7 & 10. We are planning on taking them snorkeling. Anyone have any advice? How well do the rental masks fit the kids? I'm sure it's better to take our own. But, I was hoping to not drag all that around. Did your kids like it?

Vicky:

My kids love to snorkel. We use their masks and fins and just bring our own mouthpieces. I would recommend doing the Stingray Sandbar/snorkel trip in Grand Cayman. We did it with Soto's Cruises and had a blast. We've also snorkeled in Cozumel (booked through cozumelinsider.com) and we did the ship's excursion to Goff's Caye in Belize. Both were good, but if you're only going to snorkel in one port I would do it in Grand Cayman.

We are sailing on Carnival Miracle on 10/01. This is our first cruise. Our boys are 7 & 10. We are planning on taking them snorkeling. Anyone have any advice? How well do the rental masks fit the kids? I'm sure it's better to take our own. But, I was hoping to not drag all that around. Did your kids like it?

Have your boys ever snorkled before? Are they strong swimmers? Many excursions are in deep water, and you wouldn't want the boys to start panicking if they don't feel safe, or if the water gets into their masks or snorkle. If they have never snorkled I would recommend snorkling from a beach first, and then see how that went before having them jump off a boat into 14ft deep water. jmo.

Thanks for the input Darcy03231 & Got2Cruise. The boys have never snorkeled before. But, they are both strong swimmers & interested in snorkeling. I thought that I would get a mask/snorkel and let them tool around in the pool before we go so that they get a feel for it. Did you take your own gear or use rental equipment. If rental, did the mask leak? Any problems with the equipment? I really don't want to haul more stuff around than is necessary. :eek:

Hi Vicky - We just took our boys snorkeling for the first time in Tortola on our Legend cruise. The excursion we took had snorkeling from the boat and snorkeling from a beach; all three of them did very well with beach snorkeling. Middle son (10) opted not to snorkel from the boat, and youngest son (6) got tired pretty quickly. They were supplied with mask/snorkel, fins, and life vest; most of the equipment worked fine. Youngest son's mask fell apart at one point, but we put it back together fairly easily. If you can have them practice before they go, I think it will be all the better; they can practice breathing with the snorkel.

Thanks for the input Darcy03231 & Got2Cruise. The boys have never snorkeled before. But, they are both strong swimmers & interested in snorkeling. I thought that I would get a mask/snorkel and let them tool around in the pool before we go so that they get a feel for it. Did you take your own gear or use rental equipment. If rental, did the mask leak? Any problems with the equipment? I really don't want to haul more stuff around than is necessary. :eek:

I am not familiar with which ports your cruise goes to but there might be nice beaches where the boys can snorkle from the shore. Usually where there are rocks, there are schools of fish. We have rented the snorkle equipment, and have found them to be of decent quality. Also, almost all snorkle excursions sponsored by the ships make everyone wear a floatation device. Definitely have them practice their breathing with the mask/snorkle. A cheap kiddie one in the bathtub is ok for this. Just make sure they are ok with putting their face in the water and breathing. The last snorkle excursion we were on had children's masks and snorkles available. Most tour operators have them available. Which ports are you going to?

Most snorkelling excursions will give you life vests, so if you are in deep water, the kids won't get too tired as they can just float around in their vests. we bring our own masks & snorkels as I don't know how well they sanitize the snorkels after each use. One year I got a cold after using a supplied snorkel that hadn't been properly cleaned. It's not fun being sick on your holiday!

Last year I took my boys (8 & 9) snorkeling at most of the ports on the Glory. We brought our own snorkel and mask and rented a vest ($5-ish) at each place that we visited. We didn't bother with the fins because my boys didn't like using them. I felt better knowing that the snorkel and mask were clean and of a better quality than the rented ones.

We spent the majority of each day snorkeling at a beach, so we didn't really have to cart around the gear too much. In one port, my boys and I went shopping while my dh went back to the ship to nap, (and carried the gear bag with him.)

I would definitely encourage you to purchase snorkel gear now (it's half-price at Walmart!) and have your boys practice in swimming pools or even the bath tub. Now's the time to teach them to clear their snorkels, put on their masks while floating, etc. They'll enjoy the experience so much more on the cruise if they know what they're doing and have confidence.

We're going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize & Costa Maya. We will probably snorkle everywhere except Belize.

Cozumel is a great place to snorkle from the beach.There are reefs close to shore.There is a water park where there is a beautiful snorkle reef.(Check the Cozumel board, for the exact name of the place) At Grand Cayman the boys will love Stingray City. You really don't need to use snorkles at Stingray City, you can stand and look down with the mask and breathe naturally. I am not familiar with Costa Maya at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Our boys 5 and 8 at the time, experienced snorkeling for the first time on a cruise niether were "strong" swimmers. They fell in love with it. They snorkeled in Cozemal from a boat and in Grand Cayman on a boat. We used the equipment from the tour opertors. All fit just fine. We now have been to Key Largo everyother month just so they can snorkel. This has been the best family outtings we have ever enjoyed!!!!! I recommed you practice in a pool at home before you go. Laying flat in the water is very important to protect the coral!!

We took the kids, 7 & 9, snorkeling in Hawaii, and the rental masks worked fine. Theya had jr. sizes, but I'm not sure every place would. If you can pack your own, you might want to consider it to garantee fit.

We took a snorkle charter from Kona to Keleakua bay. The kids are good swimmers, but they used noodles so that they wouldn't tier out.

Not sure what else to say, except that the last time I tried to snorkel was about 27 years ago, and I was so impressed woth how easy it was with the new fangled equipment these days.

• 1 month later...

We took my 8 yr old daughter & 6 yr old niece to Stingray City last Nov. It was REALLY rough and the boat we were on couldn't get very close to the sandbar. Many adults stayed on the boat because the waves crashing against the boat made it hard to get in and out. The guy from the boat was great!!! We handed each of them in to him and he took them over (one at a time) and waited for us to get to him. He was also right there to help us get them back. I was a lifeguard in my younger days and I couldn't have taken her in on my own. Even with the conditions what they were, they loved it!!

I would suggest booking an excursion through your ship. My sister and I definitely gave positive feedback on our experience to the excursion desk and this matters when they award contracts. Our day would have been so disappointing if we hadn't had the help of the guy from the boat. I don't know about the fit because we did bring our own masks and snorkles for the kids, having had the same worry about it as you. They didn't take up much room and a leaky mask would have made for a cranky child!

Have a great time!!

For a free day in Grand Cayman you can take the kids to Eden rock, it is just to your right when you get off the tender, about a 3 minute walk, the snorkeling is great they will see all kinds of fish & sea creatures, it is right on the shore and easy access to the water.

Cozumel has many excellent snorkeling spots also, just take a taxi it is very safe there. our favorite place is chankanaab, great white sand beach also.

Costa Maya, there is no good snorkeling close to the ships dock, we make that our beach day, you can take a taxi to town for $2pp just pick a spot on the long strip of beach and just relax, the water is beautiful.

Belize, if you take a boat to one of the cayes they have a few snorkel spots.

Kids size equipment...

Last week we snorkeled one day and dd, snorkeling for the first time, used my old mask and snorkel. She is 10 yo and the mask was too big on her face and leaked :mad: What was I thinking :rolleyes: She still loved the experience!

The following day she dove with dh and I after she took a "resort course" and they supplied all the "pint size" gear down to the kid size wet suit :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the info. The boys had a great time. Our 7 yo did not care at all for stingray city. It was very choppy & he was too short to stand. The idea of stingrays freaked him out. No problem zip lining 80 feet in the air in Belize though...go figure! Anyway, we brought our own equipment and thoroughly enjoyed Coral Gardens at Grand Cayman & Plancar Beach in Cozumel.

Thank you everyone for the info. The boys had a great time. Our 7 yo did not care at all for stingray city. It was very choppy & he was too short to stand. The idea of stingrays freaked him out.

Amazing, our then 9 yo, felt the exact same way...too choppy, water too deep, and wanted to see the rays but didn't want them near her. Glad to hear the rest worked out. :)

We've taken our daughters to Stingray City twice. The first time they were 4 and 5. They both loved it. I guess it really depends on the kids and you can't really guess how they will react when they see all the big sting rays. My 33 year old sister in law was in tears because she was afraid of the rays while my kids were petting them. The first time we were at Stingray City the water was quite choppy. The second time it was as smooth as glass. The second time we were there with my 9 year old niece and nephew who also LOVED seeing the rays.

We did buy them our kids their own equipment because they were so little I knew that adult masks would never fit them. We also invested in an expensive dry snorkel and their own snorkel vests, which were well worth the money.

I had the kids practice using the snorkeling equipement in the pool as soon as I got it. They got really comfortable with it on and I think that really helped them. They were both pretty good swimmers for their age though.

The first time they snorkeled in the ocean was when the girls were 3 and 4 and we went right off the beach in St. Thomas. Since then we have done once off a boat and a several more times off the beach. The only real problem with my daughters snorkeling off a boat was that the deeper water was colder and they started shivering a lot and had to get out of the water. My older daughter was so cold her feet were blue and we did not think that the water was really cold that day.

I agree that the snorkeling is not good in Costa Maya. We have taken the cab into the town a couple of times and really enjoyed the beautiful, clean beach which is much nicer than the beach at the cruise port. We have never taken the kids to Chunkanaab in Cozumel to snorkel but dh and I have been there three times. It is absolutely fabulous! I highly recommend it. We have seen all kinds of fish including barracudas when we snorkeled there. We would have taken the kids when we were there last April but the park was stilled closed due to hurricane damage. I would imagine it has since reopened.

Archived