Thinking out loud..Prices!

Rustyone

We have just one cruise under our belts and are in the "pre-planning" process of picking out another one...A roundtrip from Barbados. I'd like to get to Barbados a couple of day's early to check it out so I've been searching for hotels when I ran across prices on some of them that "start" at $850.00 a night!! :eek: I got to thinking (something I'm not really that good at), what is so special about a $850.00 room? What do those extra dollars get you, and is it worth it? Is a view, service, and a pillow top worth another $500.00? We aren't filthy rich but we live comfortably, and I guess we could go the 850 if we had to, but why? I just can't see spending that kind of money on something you're only going to spend a few waking hours a day in. Call me cheap, call me a tightwad....I just don't see it.

Anybody care to comment??

here are some options for you to look into. This info comes from the July 2005 issue of Caribbean Travel and Life so the prices will likely be a bit higher, but is every case an improvement over the numbers you mentioned.

Windsurf Beach Hotel http://www.windsurfbeach.com (246) 420-5862 $50-75

Yellow Bird Hotel http://www.yellowbirdbarbados.com (246) 418-8444 $85-130

Allamanda Beach Hotel http://www.allamandabeach.com (246) 438-1000 $107-162

New edgewater Hotel http://www.newedgewater.com (246) 443-9900 $78-180

Casuarina Beach Club http://www.casuarina.com (246) 428-3600 $115-195

also take a look at http://www.barbados.org/hotels/h48.com for a place called peach and quiet We stopped and checked it out while on a tour of the island and found it very nice and the owners very personable. Basic, but clean.

We have just one cruise under our belts and are in the "pre-planning" process of picking out another one...A roundtrip from Barbados. I'd like to get to Barbados a couple of day's early to check it out so I've been searching for hotels when I ran across prices on some of them that "start" at $850.00 a night!! :eek: I got to thinking (something I'm not really that good at), what is so special about a $850.00 room? What do those extra dollars get you, and is it worth it? Is a view, service, and a pillow top worth another $500.00? We aren't filthy rich but we live comfortably, and I guess we could go the 850 if we had to, but why? I just can't see spending that kind of money on something you're only going to spend a few waking hours a day in. Call me cheap, call me a tightwad....I just don't see it.

Yes, it is definitely worth the price to stay at the top end places.

At Las Ventanas I once left one of my husband's shirts on the bed that a button popped off of. By the time we came back from the beach, housekeeping had sent the shirt off to be dry cleaned and have another button sewed back on at no charge to us.

It is impossible to explain all the differences but high end places are so worth it or they would not be able to charge the prices they charge.

I see you found one of our less expensive rooms! LOL

US$1200-6000/night is not uncommon for the high-end west coast hotels during high season.

Is a US$6000 room better than a US$300 room? Well, yes….but not US$5700 worth.

We have a couple of overflow guests from the UK each year that make it quite clear nothing will do but Sandy Lane. Others are quite happy at a cheaper hotel down in the Gap. So it all depends on what you want.

When we travel the Caribbean each winter, we stay at the less expensive spots unless we’re entertaining clients, and then it is high-end establishments. But it’s just a bed, you know, when the lights are out you’ll never know anyway, yes?

Look at hotels down in the St. Lawrence Gap area. You should be able to find some in the US$200-300 range that would suit most people just fine.

Enjoy your stay on Barbados. :)

Rusty, When are you planning your cruise from Barbados?? Prices can be that high and higher, but you can also find lower prices hotels. Much does depend on when you plan to be in Barbados and take your cruise. Also, if you are looking at doing the hotel with the cruiseline, you may find that it is going to be more expensive (usually as they included things like meet and greet and transportation to and from the ports), than booking a hotel independently of the cruiseline.

JerseyGirl, Sam Lords has not been part of Marriott for some years now. Unfortunately it was purchased by a local who was going to refurb and get it going again, and that has fallen through. I haven't been to the hotel in several years but I understand it's not holding up to well in is unused state.

barbados tell me you are kidding. $6000.00 a night!? :eek: There ain't enough "service" in the world!!! Maybe if I win the lottery and have money to burn I'd do it just to say I did. Man the first new car I bought was $3100.00 and the cost of my first house wouldn't have paid for a long week-end in that place! :)

I'm not sure of the year we are going yet; 07 or 08 but it will be in February, smack in the middle of high season. I know there's plenty of places in the $300.00 or so range and I've got time. Thanks for the leads too.

Rustyone,

We are actually doing our own test of your question in January. We will stay one night pre-cruise at the Coconut Court Hotel in the Southern part of the island (I don't know if this is 'the gap.") Then, we're staying one night on the western coast at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion. Both are on the beach, but the price variation!! Whoa.

Anyway, my husband wants to golf at the Royal Westmoreland, and apparantly can get a tee time at the Royal Pavilion. I am also anxious to see if we get another $600 worth of value at our second stay!

For now, who knows?

Beth

“barbados tell me you are kidding. $6000.00 a night!?”

No, it’s true…check out Sandy lane in high season.

Now, Sandy Lane has a new, exclusive golf course called ‘The Green Monkey’. You cannot play on that course unless you have a room at Sandy Lane.

There are folks from the UK (and from the US) that rent a jet and fly in, rent a room so they can play the course and then give their caddies the room keys for the night after the game and fly back! About a US$20,000 day. I’m not going to tell you who does this on a regular basis, but you’d recognize the names.

You’ll find plenty of places for a reasonable price. You are very smart to be planning this soon.

Again, best wishes for a wonderful time! :)

Hi Rusty ~ my DH and I vacationed in Barbados for 8 nights in July. We stayed at The South Gap Hotel in St. Lawrence Gap. Our 8 nights cost us $600. There are numerous other hotels in that area for very reasonable prices. It all depends what you expect and how much luxury you want. We had an excellent stay there (it was quite noisy due to the night life) but we had a very decent room with kitchenette, a beautiful large balcony and the view was to die for. Dover beach (the prettiest we have ever been on) was a mere 5 minute walk. We were close to busses and you can eat out as expensive or mid price as YOU want.

Their blue and yellow busses are US$ 0.75 per ride no matter how far you go. Their is a great marine reserve on the west coast in Folkstone no entrance fee and great snorkeling right of the beach and wonderful facilities and snorkel gear rental. The bus drivers always notified where we needed to get off. A wonderful place to spend an afternoon at the beach is not far from there at Suga Suga restaurant managed by Manny a local Barbadian who's family owns Animal Flower Cave on the North point ~ awesome views and interesting cave tour available for US$5. Hard to get to though if you do not have a car. We were fortunate that his niece offered to take us. At Suga suga they have beach chairs and offer lunch at the beach or at their beach restaurant ~ very reasonable prices.

We ate many of times food the locals had cooked at various beaches etc. and it was wonderful and we did not get sick. We are quite adventerous and love to mingle with the locals.

Els ;)

www.tripadvisor is a wonderful source for hotel reviews in Barbados.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all the help everybody. I've spent a lot of time reading up on Barbados and I've managed to get myself "excited" with this island. I read about the East coast "Bathsheba" area on the Atlantic side, specifically the soup bowl. Looks breathtaking! I don't know what accommodations we will have yet but I'm pretty sure it will be in this area.

I did find one of many in this area that looked very "islandy" in an exotic sort of way. Se here: http://seaubarbados.com/ and look at the views! It looks like there is no door from the room to the deck...how exotic is that!

We usually go to american style hotels when we go anywhere but something like this might be fun. And it's cheap too!

I appreciate all the help everybody. I've spent a lot of time reading up on Barbados and I've managed to get myself "excited" with this island. I read about the East coast "Bathsheba" area on the Atlantic side, specifically the soup bowl. Looks breathtaking! I don't know what accommodations we will have yet but I'm pretty sure it will be in this area.

I did find one of many in this area that looked very "islandy" in an exotic sort of way. Se here: http://seaubarbados.com/ and look at the views! It looks like there is no door from the room to the deck...how exotic is that!

We usually go to american style hotels when we go anywhere but something like this might be fun. And it's cheap too!

Looks like a lovely place and the area is very pretty ~ have agreat time;) Els

If you will be in Barbados in the peak of high season either 2007 or 2008, you can expect to pay the highest prices wherever you stay. Even the lower priced accommodations charge more then.

Villa Nova that someone mentioned has been closed (bankruptcy) for over 2 years now.

Most of the East Coast places are quite rustic. It's a beautiful area of the island, but don't expect a lot in accommodations.

If you are spending the money to cruise during high season, why not pay for something decent if you plan to go early. Anywhere in the Caribbean in January or February is at peak pricing.

Lois

If you will be in Barbados in the peak of high season either 2007 or 2008, you can expect to pay the highest prices wherever you stay. Even the lower priced accommodations charge more then.

Most of the East Coast places are quite rustic. It's a beautiful area of the island, but don't expect a lot in accommodations.

If you are spending the money to cruise during high season, why not pay for something decent if you plan to go early. Anywhere in the Caribbean in January or February is at peak pricing.

Lois

Actually Lois we go beginning of February for two reasons. One is my wifes' B-day is the 14th and mine is the 15th so we treat ourselves once in awhile. And two, St. Louis is a deep freeze that time of year and a cruise breaks up the monotony.

When we go on "splurge vacations" we stay at places like a Marriott or similar, but the more I look at pictures of the soup bowl the more I'm willing to give up some ammenities and go for a more local feel. Besides, it might be fun to meet the "indigenous" folks. We ran into a fellow from Barbados in Fort Lauderdale last year and we ended up having a few drinks with the fellow, he was so genuine. If all of Barbados is like that guy was it's got to be a great place.

Anyway, I have some time to decide. :)

Rusty, try checking out Sam Lord's Castle. It was, and I think it still is, owned by Marriott. It is an all-inclusive and the prices range from $250-$350/day double occupancy.

I drove over to Sam Lord's in April and it was boarded up and decrepit. I heard that someone bought it and will renovate, but it won't be open for over a year.

Up the road from there is The Crane. It's a great place to stay.

www.thecrane.com

Archived