Snorkel or Cave Tube- what would you do?

Melanie1437

Snorkel at shark ray alley or cave tube?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Snorkel at shark ray alley or cave tube?

• Snorkel at shark ray alley!
    • Cave Tube!

We are so excited about our stop in Belize! We are on the NCL sun leaving Dec 3rd. We just can't figure out what to do here! Both the snorkeling and sharkray alley- as well as cave tubbing sound amazing!! We also go to Costa Maya, Guatamala, and Cozumel... we def want to snorkel at one of them- and have it be good... but the cave tubing sounds like a very unique pick. Anyone know a way to do both?? :rolleyes: So- which would you do and why? Thanks in advance for all of your advice!!

If you have never done it you owe it to yourself to go tubing. You can snorkel in any of your ports, but I don't know where you could go cave tubing except in Belize.

Costa Maya has good snorkeling and it is probably better than Coz since Wilma damaged all of the shallow reefs. If you want to see good coral in Coz, you need to take a boat trip out to Palancar or Columbia Reef.

So- do you think Coz will have any good snorkeling now? Or- in Costa Mya we were thinking of going to the beach "resort" that is hidden right by the cruise pier... people talk of snorkeling there- is that good or do you need to take a boat out to see coral and a varity of fish?

The way I look at it, as has already been said, is that you can snorkel in most other ports, where else can you go cave tubing!

Of course, do one this time, then you have a reason to book another cruise and go back again! :D

ok, I'm gonna give you a vote for the snorkeling... I know everyone on here talks so highly of the cave tubing but for me it wasn't my cup of tea. Hiking up a good sized hillside carrying your own tube and then getting in and floating down the river while going thru a cave (or 2 depending on who you book with). Don't see where the excitement in that is?:confused: I know there are many that will disagree with me wholeheartedly (sp)?, but it's just my opinion. Also, if the river is down, then you don't leisurely float, you have to hold your rear up so it doesn't stop ya. Not too relaxing. I just came back from Belize and it was raining soo much that the cave tubing was cancelled due to flooding - which doesn't affect the snorkeling.

Just wanted to give you a different viewpoint as everyone else seemed to be going with the tubing. If you decide to do it, being aware of all the aspects beforehand will help you to prepare for the experience and adjust attitudes accordingly. ha ha

Good luck

;) we went to goff's cay last oct. with huricane wilma chashing us. we booked through carnival.the tender picked us up on the boat and took us straight to the island.It was kind or rough since the hurican was comming but still very nice.You can either go to the island or after they drop the people off that want to snorkle off the island, the boat goes out deeper on the reef and lets you snorkle their,later they bring you back to the island. we stayed on the island and two guys off the tender took us around the island.They were great...they dove down and took pictures for poeple and pointed out different things.( my wife had never snorkeled before and did great and now loves to go) the island is nice,with a few venders(I guess they came by boat when we were snorkling....we did not see them till we got done)but we loved it ....never went into belize ...but heard cave tubing was great ....we will be back on thanksgiving again on the miracle...2006........cant wait!======bring water--they sell it when you get off the boat------also ( no bathrooms=its a very small island)

My vote is for snorkeling! I also asked this question before I left and chose cave-tubing. I was sadly disappointed. Everyone here talks about how great the cave tubing is and I just don't really see what all the fuss was about. It is interesting yes... but, not all it's cracked up to be. I much prefer snorkeling. If you are going to go cave tubing DON'T choose the on ship excursion. You are lead like cattle down the trails to your tubing spot. We booked with a smaller group (9 of us total) and we were lead right past the giant cruise ship groups. There are rapids in some spots and if you're not careful you can bang into rocks or flip your tube. I flipped mine and was scared 'crapless'. I don't swim and it really shook me up a bit. I'm just glad I didn't hit my head on a rock or something. We were also told about the biting bugs. There was one in our van and our guide said if they bit us we would swell up from the reaction. This is definately an excursion I would have skipped. It was nice once, but I don't think I'd ever do it again.

So- do you think Coz will have any good snorkeling now? Or- in Costa Mya we were thinking of going to the beach "resort" that is hidden right by the cruise pier... people talk of snorkeling there- is that good or do you need to take a boat out to see coral and a varity of fish?

Just a head's up -- Costa Maya was a big disappointment for us on the beach -- no swimming or snorkeling. However, it apparently had the best scuba diving of the trip (Carnival Valor - W. Carribean). The water and coral looked great from the dock, but we weren't able to go into the water.

If you DO decide to go cave tubing, DEFINITELY use cave-tubing.com. They were the only ones who let my whole family go together (I have a 6-year old and 11-year old). They totally know what they are doing, and were half the price of the excursion through the cruise ship. They also took us to a great place for lunch on the way back -- awesome chicken, rice and beans for $5!

Just a head's up -- Costa Maya was a big disappointment for us on the beach -- no swimming or snorkeling. However, it apparently had the best scuba diving of the trip (Carnival Valor - W. Carribean). The water and coral looked great from the dock, but we weren't able to go into the water.

That's why you grab a taxi to Mahajual and enjoy the beach over there...it's wonderful...calm water, beautiful, good food, great people.

Give that a try next time and venture a little out from the pier. You'll like it!

We did cave tubing, but if I had to do it over again, I'd snorkel - just my opinion.

The cave tubing was unique, but it's a bus ride to the cave area, then a short hike to the river, then a float (we were there last April, and the water was really very shallow - hence the term "butts up"), where the guides literally drag you through the cave (again I'm sure it's dependant upon the water level) because the water moved so slow. Then it's back on the bus, with a short stop for lunch (if you're lucky - we had other people from another ship on our tour who had to get back earlier, so we didn't have time to eat lunch), then back on the bus to continue on to the port with some time left over to do a little shopping nearby.

And we had lunch near the port at the Wet Lizard, which I do recommend.

Archived