Funchal

Tell any taxi driver that you want to go "downtown" to shop and a casual restaurant in Funchal. There is a marvelous intersection of tourist shops and restaurants deep in the heart of the city with a view downhill of the water and literally everyone passes by that intersection. The area is tight, it is crowded, it is busy with people, it is great fun.

When you get to the intersection with the cafes, you'll think there are no tables available on any of the 3 corners but wait a bit and one will pop up. As you sit there eating your sandwich or having a drink, you'll see many of your fellow pax stroll past plus some of the crew, plus the beautifully coutured Madeiran women and men. Best dressed populace I've seen in a long time.

The people watching is as good as the Piazza San Marco in Venice, one of my all-time favorite spots. You'll love it and all the cab drivers know where to take you. I'm too lazy to do the Google search but you can run "Funchal tourism" on the Web and you'll find what I'm referring to. I was caught happily by surprise by Funchal's beautiful geography and people - I would return in a heartbeat.

Happy sails!

Ruby

We are going to this port as our last stop on a transatlantic on the Golden this fall and have been gathering some links on a yahoo group site for our cruise. Here are some of the ones I have found or that were added to our site by a gentleman who lives there.

http://del.icio.us/madeira

http://www.portosdamadeira.com/index2.php?t=2&l=uk

http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/index.html

http://www.madeira-island.com/

http://madeira.eigenstart.nl/

http://www.madeiraarchipelago.com/

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=27C72BDB759758AA

Here was his advice on what to eat when there.

For those who would like to enjoy a culinary visit to the island I would suggest the following:

Grab a taxi ... be persistent and ask him (or her if it is a woman) to take you explicitly to good local restaurants where they serve the following (that you can choose from):

Bolo do Caco – A typical starter of wheat flour bread with garlic butter.

Lapas – Another starter loved by locals (and me) ... grilled limpets on a hot pan (directly from the grill) served with lot of garlic and slices of lemon (squeeze them over it when sizzling).

Sopa de tomate e cebola - Tomato and onion soup crowned with a poached

egg.

Espetada – For the meat lovers a must ... large chunks of beef rubbed in garlic and salt, skewered onto a bay leaf stick and left to grill over smouldering wood chips. In Camara de Lobos are a few good Espetada restaurants.

Milho Frito – also a must together with the Espetada or other dishes. Deep-fried cubes of cornmeal.

Picado - Small pieces of beef fried with garlic in a pan .... with red peppers on one big dish surrounded by french fries.

Espada com Banana – For the fish lover …. Madeira's famous dish ... combination of a soft white fish with a strong tropical flavor. Please

eat this first before you look at the fish in the market!

Which wine? Most house wines are very good ... just smile to the waiter ... say `bom dia' ... and ask him for suggestions.

You can finish your culinary trip at Camara de Lobos and visit the bar called `Numero Dois' (Number Two) and try their famous Nikita or Poncha.

Nikita – A very refreshing sweet drink made of beer, ice cream and small pieces of pineapple. There is also a non-alcoholic version made with soft beer.

Poncha – Traditional Madeira drink (ha! And you thought it was Madeira

wine) … a must ... consists of sugar cane white alcohol, sugar cane honey, fresh lemon juice, orange juice. Bottoms up!

Last but not least .... Bolo de Mel – Honey cake which you can buy almost everywhere (even in the supermarket) to take back home. No problem .... it will still be fresh when you get back home. The problem is .... are you strong enough not to eat it underway?

Hope this helps you. I will also be interested in what others post as answers to your questions.

Have a great next cruise.

Does anybody know anything about Mercado dos Lavradores, apparently this is a market in Funchal but all I have been able to find out is that it is in the Old Town. I've also seen that it closes at 1400 on a Saturday and our ship doesn't dock until 1200 - any ideas if we stand a chance of getting there in time?

Gill

The town of Funchal is lovely and there is lots to do and see. There are several options to get into town from the dock:-

1) walk from the ship - good 20-25 mins walk around the bay will bring you into the town on the waterfront.

2) Occasionally the town (Chamber of Commerce/shops/Tourist Office or whatever) will provide a free ferry transport across the bay from your ship, to drop you off in the town on the waterfront. This is a good fun way to get there.

3) Taxi into town.

Once in the town you can start to explore :- recommended a visit to the Blandy Wine Lodge which is in the main street near the park. Free and very enjoyable! Lots of samples to be tried and free tasting. A lovely old wine lodge right in the centre of town.

Once you have seen this and had a look at some of the shops, suggest you make your way back to the waterfront and walk along the water, away from the ship. This will bring you to the Cable Car which you can take to the top of the town to Monte. The view is magnificent and once at the top you can explore the gardens, take English cream tea or lunch in the beautiful hotel at the top or make your way to the Wicker Work tobaggan and come back down the hill that way if you prefer. There is a lovely church here too which is worth a visit.

At the base of the Cable Car there are several small fish restaurants which serve the most amazing fish stews and soups. Although all along the waterfront there are several options including boats turned into floating restaurants and bars.

The market is in the centre of town, up from the waterfront and is worth a visit. You will be able to get there if you are ready to get off the ship as soon as you can when clearance is given.

The highlight of Funchal is definitely the Cable Car ride - don't miss it and have the camera ready! It's a ride you'll never forget.

Marge M

We're doing a TA in 2007 and will be stopping in Funchal also. I really enjoyed checking out the links you posted. My DH uses a wheelchair, and one link had information regarding accessibility in Funchal. Now I know it's a taxi for us, the cable ride, and a seaside lunch to people watch down by the pier. From what I read, Funchal is not handicapped friendly to people in wheelchairs. So, we will be prepared rather than surprised. I copied your post to our cruise roll call board. When I have time I will copy the specific link about handicapped accessibility to the disabled board.

Sagruby: thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you remember if the downtown area with the cafes is wheelchair friendly? From reading the websites that WWIN posted, I think not.

Thanks, Dee

Sagruby: thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you remember if the downtown area with the cafes is wheelchair friendly? From reading the websites that WWIN posted, I think not. Thanks, Dee

Hmm, I have it in my mind that the downhill slope and the main street above were cobblestone. I remember watching the Madeiran women in their stiletto heels walking briskly past the sidewalk cafes and somehow missing the cracks between the stones. With the rough street paving and the distinct downhill slope to the seawall, you would want to plan out your route back to flat ground.

I picked out a taxi driver who took me for a day trip around the area and up into the hills so, although I saw the "postcard views," I did not do the cable car in Monte. The driver and I went far around several bays so I feel that I got a good insight into island life.

I found everyone in Madeira to be most helpful and friendly if a bit busy with crowds of tourists from the ship who were choosing souvenirs - and buying Madeira wine!

The ship sailing out of the harbor and past the islands is a sight to behold. You and DH will love these islands.

Ruby

Thanks Marge for your ideas. We'll be visiting Funchal on a TA in Oct. 07, definitely going to the wine lodge. Your itinerary sounds heavenly.

I had at one point found on-line a self walking tour that included the wine lodge, written by a traveller. If I find I'll post it.

Archived