should i buy spanx or .....?

motherchic

I'm a size 14-16 and I love Spanx. There was a thread about Spanx not long ago and several people mentioned the waist being a bit big. I felt that way at first too, it seemed the waistband wasn't as tight as it should be in proportion to the hips. But I've decided that I really like that about Spanx because it doesn't push all the excess belly fat up in a big roll above the waistband. It took me a couple of days to get used to the feel of the larger waistband because it felt like it was slipping down, but it doesn't slip at all, it's just not tight. (That probably doesn't make any sense if you haven't experienced it! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I really like Spanx, you ought to give them a try. I bought my first pair on Ebay for $22 which is a good buy for Spanx but even so I hated spending that much! But I recently found them here in Dallas at Nordstrom Rack for $9.99 so I don't feel so bad about buying them.

Too have just found Spanx and really like it. I have been using Miraclesuit which really sucks everything in and isn't all that comfortable. The first time I put it on I found out why they call it Miraclesuit-its a miracle if you can get the darn thing on and a miracle if you can then get it off:eek:

Georgine

I was looking at the half slip in a spanx style material at Parisain. It was $75! I went WHOAH.

I wanted this because I have a lined ivory skirt that still shows the "Princess Dianna- AKA nusery school teacher picture" faux paux but when I put a regular slip on with it I see the seams of the slip-but I did not want to spend $75!

Then I said I will just buy another skirt-so I went and looked at them at a much more expensive skirt-(the first came from Marshalls) thinking a better quality skirt would look better and not do that- it was worse-that skirt bunched like that and I did not even have on a slip when I tried it on in the store.

so I was wondering has anyone bought a spanx half slip or a Rhonda Sheer one? How are they?

are made by spanx and much less expensive. I am currently about a size 16 and love them. They are made to not be tight at the waistband or legband and really keep my hips in and hide the rolls! I highly recommend them!

I just got them today, and they are really comfortable. Rather than ordering on the internet, you can actually buy them at Lane Bryant. They cost me $25, but at least I had the piece of mind to be able to just return them the next day, which I am not doing. I tried it on with my formal dress today, and like other posters said, they do not shift everything around. I did not have a "bulge" at the top of them around my waist. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy them!

PS...There is a size chart right on the back of the box that tells you what size to get according to your height and weight.:)

are made by spanx and much less expensive. I am currently about a size 16 and love them. They are made to not be tight at the waistband or legband and really keep my hips in and hide the rolls! I highly recommend them!

Lisa thanks-I hope they have half slips. I bought the capri thing but I still had the "Princess Diana" problem with my skirt .

I went onto the Target board looking for comments on Assets and the comments ranged from Great to several that said after 2 washings, the waistband either stretched out or showed ripping. Sounds like the quality is not up to Spanx quality, thus the difference in pricing.

Might try the Spanx brand myself one day to soften all the lumps & bumps!:)

I am a size 16-18. Would Spanx be good for me? What size, type, or should i try something else? I would like lines smoothed out, but dont want bulges just "put" somewhere else !!!!

Many thanks

Nadine

I bought Spanx thru QVC. Wasn't happy with it at all, so returned it. Didn't feel the sizing was right on this product either.

QVC.com also carries Lipo in a Box. That product is fantastic, is true to size and is comfortable while holding you in. They carry many different styles of it. Do a search at http://www.qvc.com using LIPO in a box.

If you buy direct from the manufacturer, it is not returnable. BUT with QVC you have a 30 day guarantee return if you are unable with the product for any reason.

I went onto the Target board looking for comments on Assets and the comments ranged from Great to several that said after 2 washings, the waistband either stretched out or showed ripping. Sounds like the quality is not up to Spanx quality, thus the difference in pricing.

Might try the Spanx brand myself one day to soften all the lumps & bumps!:)

Target also did not have the half slips-just the capri length and girdle length pants and the waist cincher thingie. So I will order mine from QVC I guess.

I was not happy with Spanx. I know everyone seems to love them including Oprah and Joy on the View but for me I wasn't impressed.The one I bought went from waist to mid- thigh and seemed to push everything up around my waist. I then bought Shear shapewear from HSN which went from mid thigh to just under the bra and it is very comfortable and worked a lot better for me. I am a size 8-10 and want a smooth shape under some outfits that cling. I ordered them last year right before my cruise and of course they arrive while I was sailing but at least now I have them for my next voyage.

I was not happy with Spanx. I know everyone seems to love them including Oprah and Joy on the View but for me I wasn't impressed.The one I bought went from waist to mid- thigh and seemed to push everything up around my waist. I then bought Shear shapewear from HSN which went from mid thigh to just under the bra and it is very comfortable and worked a lot better for me. I am a size 8-10 and want a smooth shape under some outfits that cling. I ordered them last year right before my cruise and of course they arrive while I was sailing but at least now I have them for my next voyage.

well I checked prices online and Rhonda Sheer runs around $30 on HSN for the half slip and spanx on QVC was $55-so if you think Rhona Sheer is just as good-I will save $25! Thanks!

I am going to buy the other items that were mentioned to compare to the spanx. I have the "higher power" and it seems to be too large, although I ordered the correct size. Everything stays in place and there is no upward "squishing", but I just think it isn't "heavy duty" enough. Jan

Hi Jan-

I had the same challenge with the Higher Power from Spanx and I just got the next smaller size and problem solved. I love my Spanx and just ordered some Bod-a-bing pants for my upcoming cruise.

I got my Mom wearing them now too; although she calls them "Spanky pants"!

:D

OK--this might sound sort of stupid...but I have to ask it anyhow:

With Spanx--and the waistline band that the panties have...will it be really TIGHT?

I ask this question because I have had colon surgery and was cut straight down my belly. 3 1/2 inches above my belly button to down past it to my pelvic area. So my scar is really long and I CAN NOT stand anything TIGHT on my waist anymore.

I have had to order jeans with soft-straight (not gathered) elastic waist bands because I can not stand zippers rubbing my belly for any long length of time while I am sitting down. I do not wear any type of belts...just to tight around the waist. But I would like to have some sort of control/support to flatten my stomach. Just not TIGHT around the waist. Will Spanx be OK for me?:confused:

:) Thanks!:)

How the H... do you get the next smaller size on? I have spanx that are my size, but if I gain 1# I have a really hard time getting them on. And when I do, I need a shower again:eek: . Oh, I know the answer: lose weight:D and how do I do that in 3 days?

The good thing is I believe HSN and QVC both allow you to return the item if it does not work out. So you really don't have much to lose. I will say I bought the large size and it is very comfortable to wear all day, no binding on me or rolling down.

Vicki

I just bought a pair of Donna Karen's brand. I'm not sure of the name but they come in a black package and they go mid thigh. They are extremely silky and there is no way they would leave a line at the thigh or stomache b/c of the way it gets so thin right in those spots. Great tummy control. So far I know that you can get them at Saks and Dillards.

OK--this might sound sort of stupid...but I have to ask it anyhow:

With Spanx--and the waistline band that the panties have...will it be really TIGHT?

I ask this question because I have had colon surgery and was cut straight down my belly. 3 1/2 inches above my belly button to down past it to my pelvic area. So my scar is really long and I CAN NOT stand anything TIGHT on my waist anymore.

I have had to order jeans with soft-straight (not gathered) elastic waist bands because I can not stand zippers rubbing my belly for any long length of time while I am sitting down. I do not wear any type of belts...just to tight around the waist. But I would like to have some sort of control/support to flatten my stomach. Just not TIGHT around the waist. Will Spanx be OK for me?:confused:

:) Thanks!:)

Mona, Blandition had a good point. if you order from QVC or HSN and it is uncomfortable you can send it back-they have a 30 day money back guarantee on their stuff-so all you would be out is the postage to retrurn them.

I just purchased Spanx yesterday at Nordstrom.

They are the kind that come up to just under your boobs.

Came home, put them on ...

And my formals, etc. look awesome!!

Really smooths things out! ;)

HUGz! Jules

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ordered that Ronda Shear half-slip. I ordered a medium as I wear a 8/10 and it works fine. It is comfortable-does NOT feel like a girdle and it solves the problem under that ivory salsa skirt-no bungly seams showing from my slip under the skirt and no "Princess Dianna/kindergarden teacher faux paux" either as I had when I tried to wear the skirt minus a slip!

Not only that- but the slip had been marked down to $20 and was less then $27 with shipping and handing, tax, etc. that is alot better then the $52 spanx price from QVC and the $75 price for the one at Parisian, so I am happy!

I recently bought the Assets from Target. I got the shorts, and the capri's. I like the shorts the best. They seem to be made of a stronger material and are not as much like pantyhose. I want to get the spanx too that go up to the bust line to see the difference, and if the Assets are a better deal.

Everything is smoothed out and I even have worn them with pants at work and they lift and smooth out the middle areas!

Thanks everyone for sharing! First time cruiser, and it is so much help!

NCL-Sun from New Orleans 10/15/2006

Archived