Stockholm - Walking tour

Katy P.

Any suggestions for a route for a walking tour of this city from either the Frihamnen or stadsgarden port (where NCL Dream) docks? I would like to hear any ideas from everybody.Would like to see the royal palace. Were there long lineups when you went? Where did you buy the ticket? Thank you everyone. :) :) :)

Guest LetMeGo

If I was in Stockholm for one day...

As a basic tour to cover most of the major sights I would walk along the seafront of Södermalm (the large southern island), turn towards Gamla Stan (the old town) when there's a bridge, and head along the narrow streets until I bumped into the kunliga slottet (the royal palace).

I would exit the old town via the eastern most bridge, and head to west towards the stadshuset (city hall) and see a couple of nice buildings like the opera and academy of arts along the way... From the city hall I would walk back towards the ship through the other side of the Gamla Stan.

The route itself isn't more than four miles, and would take some 2-4 hours depending on how many of the sights you would visit.

Then I might consider a boat ride from the Gamla Stan to the island of Djurgården, and walk back past the Nordiska Museet, Vasamuseet, along the Strandvägen up till the Kungsträdgården where I could do some shopping in the bigger stores... Then I would walk back to the ship

through the middle part of the Gamla Stan.

The walking distance is another four miles, and takes about the same amount (2-4 hours) as the first leg.

It's been a long time since I was in the royal palace, so I can't help with that... I only had about 24 hours the last time I was in Stockholm, and decided not to go there because photography wasn't allowed. :(

I was just there last month with my mother on HAL (Gems of the Baltic). We thought the walk in from the pier would take too long, so we rode the cruise ship shuttle into town. We rode the ferry to/from the Vasa Museum, and walked over to Gamla Stan, where we did Rick Steves' walking tour.

If I had to do it all over again, however, I would take the sightseeing ferry hop-on, hop-off straight from the pier, skipping the cruise shuttle altogether. I would still do the Rick Steves' walking tour, we also followed his book's suggested route in Tallin. The directions are easy to follow.

There were no lines at the Royal Palace (although we did not go in, several of our friends did and enjoyed it.)

Hope this helps!

Shopgirl1964

We were in Stockholm last week on HAL Amsterdam and docked at Statsgarden. We walked into town and after I got there I wished we had taken the shuttle bus. It was a pretty walk, but took about an hour, which we could have used seeing some sights. Our shuttle dropped people at the Opera House area. Also, the Hop-On and Hop-Off Boat ride stopped right at the pier and that is a good way to get around. We used Rick Steves Scandinavian Book for all of our walking tours-Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Tallin. They are fun and easy to follow. We also needed Swedish kroners for public transportation in Stockholm and I could not find an ATM near to the pier. The Hop On Boat probably takes charge cards. We left the boat about 9:30, walked all the way to main part of town, rode a public bus to Vasa Museum, spent about an hour there, rode back on the public bus, walked Old Town, had lunch at a cafe, walked back to the ship, and were back on by about 3:30. A lot of walking, but a beautiful city. Hope this helps. Have fun.

I was in Stockholm in June and we walked along the seafront of Södermalm and turned right (north) towards Gamla Stan. Shortly after turning towards Gamla Stan, there was a bus stop. We took public transportation to the Vasa Museum. We got to the museum as soon as it opened and spent an hour there. We then took a public bus to the canal boat ride pier (Stockholm Sightseeing). I had the Stockholm city card, so public transportation, admission to Vasa and the canal ride were all free with the card. However, the canal ride is only free at certain times, so I set up our itineray to take that into account.

The canal ride dropped us off right by the Royal Palace. We toured the museum at the Royal Palace then watched the changing of the guards, which was easily an hour. The crowds inside the palace were not that great, but there were a lot of people outside to watch the changing of the guards.

We then walked through Gamla Stan working our way southbound towards the ship. When we exited Gamla Stan (southern edge), we continued south to the Katrinahissen lift for pictures of Stockholm. We then hopped onto a public bus back to the ship.

It is truly a beautiful city. You will enjoy it. Good luck!

Archived