Anniversary Celebration....what do you think?

sail7seas

S7S..May you have a wonderful celebration for your 35th and many more to come!! We're hoping to celebrate my "50th" and our 25th anniversary (within 3 days of each other!) on a cruise that will be a few weeks early next year. Remember, it's your celebration of the anniversary, which is to be celebrated when and how you would like to...after all these years you deserve it!! Congrats and enjoy!!

First let me say I don't care if someone orders a cake to celebrate an anniversary, birthday or whatever. To answer the question, I have no opinion one way or the other if it is cheating. Whatever float your boat!

Here is something to think about. Every pax on a cruise could have something to celebrate in a given year. Everyone has a birthday. If every pax on a given cruise decides to celebrate their birthday while on their cruise, I wonder what the chef would think if he had 1200 requests for birthday cakes!:)

Instead of the Baked Alaska maybe they would have a Parade of Birthday Cakes!:D

O.T. --- Say, Keith, has anyone asked you before if you're related to RevNeal? Your photo avatars sure bring up a striking resemblance IMO. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice it? (And congratulations on your "second life.")

I will take that as a compliment to be compared, looks wise, with RevNeal. He is a strikingly handsome gent! :) He didn't really need to bring up the hair issue, however. Of course there is advantages to being hair challenged--no bad hair days or hair rasing experiences. Windy days aboard ship aren't so bad either!

Also, Rita loves me regardless! :D

:)

Just celebrated our 41st anniversary last month at wonderful restaurant overlooking our 3 rivers - unhappily we weren't on a cruise.

But we did celebrate husband's birthday (60+ he won't let me tell his exact age) on the Maasdam in May. Ate in the Pinnacle Grill. Didn't get a special birthday cake or have any singing.

Guys, guys... no one is condemning. Is there really something wrong with wanting to celebrate a special occasion on board a ship? Personally, I don't like any additional attention at the dinner table - but that is just me.

Superstein - I have read many of your posts, I happen to agree with several of them. I do not care what anyone else does - whether it be bringing their own alcohol (or blender) on board, or wearing casual clothes in lieu of informal... it does not detract from my cruise one iota. Perhaps, if everyone took a moment to really think about it, they'd realize how little impact others should have on what they choose to do or say.

Many times, your position happens be an unpopular one and you have gotten flamed for it - I also very much agree you are entitled to voice it, same as everyone else. I did not mean to indicate otherwise in my earlier post, but I think you are reaching pretty far with this one - a tiny little cake for an anniversary? I just don't see how is that compared to the subjects you normally eloquently defend, hence my earlier comment, sorry.

Anyone who has achieved such a remarkable milestone deserves to celebrate - whenever & wherever they choose - just my opinion, I respect others may feel differently, no problem.

Enjoy your celebration. Even the Queen of England celebrates her birthday (which I share) months away from the actual date. In her case, to get the freebie benefit of decent weather for the party. If it's proper enough for Her Majesty, it's proper enough for me.

Thanks to those who wish us well :)

Once again, I have no intention of telling any lies to anyone. If we choose to celebrate aboard and request a cake, we shall make all the facts abundantly clear enough for anyone to understand them.

The sky is blue; the grass is green.......

Superstein,

I don't see how the two are equated. On HAL (and most other cruise lines), alcohol is not included, you pay extra for it. Although some claim to bring a specific liquor on board because it is not available on the ship, I tend to think that most do it to save money.

On the other hand food is included. If someone gets a cake to celebrate an occasion they probably will not be eating the regular dessert. The purpose of the anniversary (or birthday) cake is to have something to acknowledge the occasion, not to get something for nothing. Either way the PAX get all the food, including dessert, that they care for. With the exception of the Pinnacle, there is no charge for food, even for a pig like me.:D

Boy - you haven't been seated with some of the same tablemates I have :)
Superstein,

It may be true that some of your tablemates may have had the cake and their regular dessert. But if the cake were not there, they would just have had two of the regular desserts anyhow.;)

I just feel there's a difference between sneaking something on board to save money and reduce HAL's revenue, vs. fudging on the date to get a cake when food is included. But I can be satisfied to agree to disagree.

An interesting thought. How would the maitre'd respond to someone saying that they're anniversary is several weeks away, but they'd like a cake to celebrate? I'd venture to say that he'd be more than pleased.

QUOTE: Say, Keith, has anyone asked you before if you're related to RevNeal? Your photo avatars sure bring up a striking resemblance IMO. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice it? :confused:

Where or how do you see pictures on here??

My sister said that she had found my picture on the internet--but when I went to the link that she sent--it was a monkey :p I am assuming that you are talking about real pictures--right!?

S7S

You just enjoy and have a great time, no matter what the actual day is .

You and DH are closer to being married 35 years than most people ever will and that is a pretty terrific accomplishment. So have a ball !!!!!!

Make sure DH buys you a nice gift :)

Be thankful that your recent illness is behind you ,and that you are back on your feet and able to enjoy a very special event with a very special person on your very special ship.

If someone wants to quibble about the numbers on a calandar....the hell with them:)

Last year my birthday was three days after we got home from our cruise , but one of the girls we traveled with had a birthday during the cruise , so last year I officially proclaimed my birthday 6 days early so we could all celebrate together. It was just as much fun

Happy Anniversary and many many more

Vicar....What a lovely message. Thank you for it.

As I wrote yesterday, what is important to me is that I shall be with my wonderful husband and wherever we are and whatever we are doing....that is all that Really matters to me......just to be with him in good health.

QUOTE:

You need to change your User CP (its a link on the blue bar line above). There are settings that need to be changed so you can see the Pictures. RevNeal put his picture on one of his posts.

[quote name='a1moty']QUOTE: Say, Keith, has anyone asked you before if you're related to RevNeal? Your photo avatars sure bring up a striking resemblance IMO. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice it? :confused:

My sister said that she had found my picture on the internet--but when I went to the link that she sent--it was a monkey :p I am assuming that you are talking about real pictures--right!?[/QUOTE]

Just to follow up what iluvcruzin posted, on your User CP (Control Panel) Edit Options Menu you need to check these items, if you want to see them on your screen.
[u]Show Signature[/u]
[u]Show Avatars[/u]
[u]Show Images[/u]

[QUOTE]Instead of the Baked Alaska maybe they would have a Parade of Birthday Cakes![/QUOTE]

While I'm fond of the Baked Alaska Parade (and the Volcano Cake Parade, the Chocoloco, etc. etc.) a Parade of the Birthday Cakes sounds like a GREAT IDEA! :) They could have a special night where the Dining Room is divided into Birthday month Regions ... and mix everyone up from the standard seating for that night :) ... and then have a birth celebration for everyone with such a Birthday Cake Parade! :)

[QUOTE]I will take that as a compliment to be compared, looks wise, with RevNeal. He is a strikingly handsome gent![/QUOTE]

I am HIGHLY honored. I've lost 40 pounds, and need to lose a lot more, but thank you so MUCH!

[QUOTE]He didn't really need to bring up the hair issue, however. Of course there is advantages to being hair challenged--no bad hair days or hair
rasing experiences. Windy days aboard ship aren't so bad either![/QUOTE]

Sigh ... isn't that the truth!? I have hair on top, but not much on the front ... and it's annoying as heck to have it flapping in the breeze. :D Bad hair days are a nightmare, too. And, yes, I have them. Oh ... if only we all could have perfect hair, like Sen. John Edwards.

[QUOTE]Also, Rita loves me regardless![/QUOTE]

And isn't that all that matters????? :)

Grace and Peace,

Mrs Pony & I just hit 45 years our 2nd night on the Zuiderdam but she wouldn't let me have the waiters sing 'cause she said they would bring a cake to the table and then she couldn't order the three desserts she had her eye on!

S7S, you asked the question and I think only you can answer it, even though most of the posters think a little cheating is fine. I suppose it's a matter of degree with those people, or who it is who wants to cheat. If a guy wanted to "smuggle" liquor on board and then order cake for an anniversary that already was, or was yet to be, and celebrate with that cake and liquor, I wonder what they would say. I also wonder when, in their opinion, it WOULD be cheating. Maybe 6 mos. on either side of an anniversary would be OK ?Still, it boils down to what YOU think is right. It's really not a big deal either way, but it does have to do with personal values and beliefs, IMHO.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Thanks to all for the help with the avatar issue. I learn something new every single day!! It is so nice to "see" who you are talking to or at least get an idea of their personality with the graphics that they chose. [/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Thanks also for sharing your good ideas and tips. For a first time cruiser--[/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]these boards really help you prepare for a wonderful vacation. I get the idea that many of you have become best friends--and in todays world---what a blessing! Thanks again---[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][/size][/font]

[quote name='superstein61'] You may say food is included - but it does cost HAL extra $$$ to make the special occassion cakes - money HAL would not spend if someone didn't cheat about the occassion. Just something to think about[/QUOTE]

OK...I know S7S's has moved beyond this debate, and I normally don't jump into the fray of these types of discussions..but I just couldn't let this one pass by....

You're on a cruise where food is everywhere you look...at NO charge...I'm sure the cruise line has numerous cakes on board for just these types of occassions....happy to share them with who ever would like to enjoy them to mark a special event in their lives. Every cruise we've been on we've been asked the first evening in the dining room if we were celebrating anything special during the cruise...they WANT their passengers to celebrate and be happy... To even think that someone was "cheating" when celebrating their special occassion earlier or later is just plain absurd and I don't see the point of your argument at all. Why is receiving a small cake such a big whoop that it would increase a cruise lines bottom line??? What about all those folks who order room service and also go to breakfast, lunch and dinner?? There are hundreds of cakes on board..Pastry chefs are working 24 hours a day .. I think there's plenty to go around for anyone... Vacations are the perfect time to celebrate...

OK, I'll climb off my soap box..

Peggy Sue

[quote name='sail7seas']Thanks to those who wish us well :)

Once again, I have no intention of telling any lies to anyone. If we choose to celebrate aboard and request a cake, we shall make all the facts abundantly clear enough for anyone to understand them.

The sky is blue; the grass is green.......[/QUOTE]
For heavens sake, who ever said you had any intention of telling lies? Talk about twisting words around! If you want to order the cake, order it. As far as making facts abundantly clear I doubt the chef really cares. Maybe the chef can put some green grass on the bottom and blue sky on top.

She will not be stealing thousands of dollars .

Those cakes are for the enjoyment of people who are celebrating special occasions. Which S7S and her DH certainly are .

The cruise they happened to book is a few weeks short of their actual anniversary. As I have said before , two weeks short of beibng married 35 is a lot closer than most people will come to being married 35 years in this day and age.

If S7S was not married and they were trying to screw HAL out of cake. I could see that as kind of cheesy.

If S7S intended to run away with the Yum Yum man while on the cruise and in fact not be married to DH on the actual day of their anniversary , I would say she was getting a cake out of false pretenses.

Honestly if you were on a cruise and your wife or daughter or someone in your family was having a birthday within a week or so of your cruise and you knew it would make them so happy to have a cake and have the waiters sing to them and all that on a beautiful ship, after a nice meal. Your family is all together , all dressed up having a nice evening.

You would stand on ceremony and deprive someone you love a little happiness and a special treat because of a date on a calendar

Archived