Specialty Restaurants and kids/teens that are finicky eaters

Preds

Our family of 4 is sailing on the Spirit next week. My wife and I would like to try out a few of the specialty restaurants, specifically Le Bistro, Cagney's and Tapenanki (sp?).

I have a few questions:

Is there a kids menu for them to order off of at these restaurants?

Do kids pay the same specialty restaurant fee as adults, or is there a different fee if they order off a kids menu (if there is one)?

My 13 yo is a incredibly picky eater (much more so than my 11 yo). Will he be be able to order off a kids menu (assuming they have one)?

We figure worst case scenario the kids order somenthing small and we'll take them to Blue Harbour or Razzles aftwewards if they aren't satisfied, but we are curious if they have to pay the adult fee or not.

FWIW, they are well behaved and have endured fine dining many times before, just hoping there will be something for them to like as well, or if not, that we don't get hit with athe full specialty rest. fee for them!

They can eat off the kids menu - no charge. You could join them early in the main dinning room or buffet and enjoy a great meal together later while they are at the kids/teen club. Just an option.
At the specialty restaurants?

We want them to dine with us, not seperately.

AS for the kids club, we're encouraging them to try it, but neither are very interested at this point since they'd be seperated into different age groups.

I do hope they try the Kids club; they will find lots of others their age and you may end up having to bride them to spend more time with you. On the other hand some kids do quite well just hanging out with their parents and siblings. This sounds like it might be your kids. Yes, I think even the 13 year old can order off the kids menu and not pay extra. One more thing, as for all eating together. The first time we cruised with our grandkids and DD plus SIL the girls were about 10 and 13. We always ate together, had a great time and they remember it today, 10 years later. The one exception, this was when Le Bistro was new to NCL. We decided, because we couldn't get reservations til quite late to let the girls go to the buffet and then to kids camp. They had a blast that night and we enjoyed the elegence of an upscale dining experience without them. It is, of course your decision to make, but 1 night might eating apart might be fun for everyone. NMNita

I do hope they try the Kids club; they will find lots of others their age and you may end up having to bride them to spend more time with you. On the other hand some kids do quite well just hanging out with their parents and siblings. This sounds like it might be your kids.
Oh we'll encourage them to try the kids club and see how it goes, but we won't force them to be there unless they want to go!

Our kids are on the shy side when it comes to public places, so we'll see. We do a lot together as a family, and have travelled all over the US with them as well as to New Zealand, Australia and numerous times to Southern Ontario Canada (we live near the border). Cruising will be new to them, figure we'd break em in next week and show them how much fun a cruise is before we take them on the POH next April! :)

Yes, I think even the 13 year old can order off the kids menu and not pay extra. One more thing, as for all eating together. The first time we cruised with our grandkids and DD plus SIL the girls were about 10 and 13. We always ate together, had a great time and they remember it today, 10 years later. The one exception, this was when Le Bistro was new to NCL. We decided, because we couldn't get reservations til quite late to let the girls go to the buffet and then to kids camp. They had a blast that night and we enjoyed the elegence of an upscale dining experience without them. It is, of course your decision to make, but 1 night might eating apart might be fun for everyone. NMNita
Good to know, and thanks for the insight... I'll be sure to post on this after we get back. Thanks nmnita!

Is there a kids menu for them to order off of at these restaurants?

Do kids pay the same specialty restaurant fee as adults, or is there a different fee if they order off a kids menu (if there is one)?

My 13 yo is a incredibly picky eater (much more so than my 11 yo). Will he be be able to order off a kids menu (assuming they have one)?

We figure worst case scenario the kids order somenthing small

We were on the Dawn in June. The Kids Menu is the same in all dining rooms, main and specialty. And I might add, it is a very good kids menu. (my daughter has ordered the beef soup off of it several times for me....err, I mean her of course...lol)

There is no charge in the specialty restaurants if the kids order off the Kids Menu, or even if they order off the apetizer, soup, salad, or desert parts of the specialty menu. You will only be charged if they order off the entree part!

We had an odd number of people on our Dawn cruise and we had buy one, get one free coupons for all in our group and so we encouraged my 8 year old daughter to try a steak in Cagney's the first night. She had a Filet Mignon and loved it. (now, however, she wants one wherever we go!!:D )

Even though the kids menu says for ages 12 and under (I went and looked at ours that I brought home), I'm sure a 13 year old can order off of it. Unlike the Kids CLub, the waiters in the restaurants won't know how old the 13 year old really is, so just don't say anything about his age!

Remember, if they order an entree, you will be charged, so make sure if they order something "small," it is off the Kids Menu, Soup, salad, apetizer or dessert portions of the menu!

Archived