Jasper - Banff

Before our northbound alaskan cruise, we're touring the canadian Rockies: from Vancouver to Clearwater, Jasper, Banff, Revelstoke and Harrison Hot Springs.

What are the must-see's? I figure, Athabaska falls, Lake Louise, Lake Moraine, Peyto Lake and Glacier national park

Are you driving or taking a bus tour? How long do you have in each area? What hotels are you staying at?

When in Jasper, some of the "must see" places are Maline Lake and Maline Canyon on the way up or down from the lake. A hike through the alpine meadows at Mt. Edith Cavell. Sky Tram up Whistler Mountain... the views from the top are spectacular. During the drive from Clearwater to Japer you will pass Mt. Robson... be sure to stop and get lots of pictures. The Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff is a very, very scenic drive. Stops at Athabasca Falls and then at the Columbia Icefields are a must. After leaving the Icefields, the drive takes you to Bow Summit and some really incredible lakes, etc. Lake Louise is beautiful and Banff is o.k.... too touristy for me, but still lots to see in the area. I'm not as familiar with Revelstoke area... but I know that the drive along the Transcanada Highway from Lake Louise to Kamloops if scenic... especially in the Roger's Pass area. Harrison Hot Springs is another beautiful area...quiet and relaxing.

I agree that Lake Louise and the Coloumbia ice fields are must-sees. At Lake Louise don't miss visiting Chateau Lake Louise ... a historic Canadian hotel. I also recommend Emerald Lake. It is a bit of a drive off of the main highway, but well worth the extra time.

Snorkel_Girl

Thanks Guys,

We have a rental car for 7 days, so that means we have a tight schedule.

We booked hotels: day 1 clearwater (clearwater lodge), day 2 jasper (Whistlers Inn), day 3 & 4 Banff (Rocky Mountain resort), day 5 Revelstoke (Sandman), Dat 6 Harrison Hot Springs (Executive), Day 7-9 Vancouver.

We went rafting on the Athabasca from Jasper and it was fabulous!! Highly recommend.. also the view of the Athabasca valley from the tram there is well worth it.. I still have the panorama of that on the office wall... and it was almost 10 years ago! Try the elk pate with gooseberry jelly if it's on the menu anywhere.. divine :)

If it isn't too late I suggest you try to stay two nights in Jasper and just one in Banff. In addition to activities and sights already suggested, you can visit Miette Hot Springs (warmer and prettier than those in Banff). Most of us who live in the area prefer Jasper to Banff - Jasper National Park has broader valleys and less traffic and is a far more relaxing than Banff.

It seems that you will be doing a lot of driving - keep an eye out for wildlife - should be lots through the parks.

If it isn't too late I suggest you try to stay two nights in Jasper and just one in Banff. In addition to activities and sights already suggested, you can visit Miette Hot Springs (warmer and prettier than those in Banff). Most of us who live in the area prefer Jasper to Banff - Jasper National Park has broader valleys and less traffic and is a far more relaxing than Banff.

It seems that you will be doing a lot of driving - keep an eye out for wildlife - should be lots through the parks.

I agree! Jasper was beautiful and there is so much to do there. Banff was really nice but way too crowded and touristy.

Don't forget to go to the Columbian Ice Fields - it is amazing!

I agree that Lake Louise and the Coloumbia ice fields are must-sees. At Lake Louise don't miss visiting Chateau Lake Louise ... a historic Canadian hotel. I also recommend Emerald Lake. It is a bit of a drive off of the main highway, but well worth the extra time.

Snorkel_Girl

Don't forget that when in Lake Louise, take the little side drive to Moraine Lake and the Valley of the Ten Peaks (about 30mins). Absolutely beautiful - enough that it made it on the back of the Canadian $20 for years!

Your hotels should be fine - I haven't stayed in them as I normally camp in Jasper. I would expect normal amenities and accommodations. The high-end - Jasper Park Lodge, Banff Springs, and Chateau Lake Louise - are all very pricey - of course, I haven't stayed in them either.

Archived