Save $ on gas?

This may be a stupid question, considering how gas companies are doing such a great job of sticking it to us day in and day out, but I have to ask. . .

My fiance and I are driving 10+ hours to Port Canaveral, and we're looking to save money on gas. I know all the tips about tire pressure and not running the A/C. . .not looking for info on that.

What I am wondering about is a gas discount card, if there is such a thing. Don't want a credit card; Lord knows I've got all those I need. But I was wondering if y'all have ever heard of a gas company giving discounts if you consistantly buy from their company? Like a grocery store has those keychain discount cards?

Is this totally ridiculous?

some of the gas companies have their own visa/mastercharge card and if you use it to buy thier gas there is a small savings on the per gallon price--not sure but i think amaco is one of them

just curious --how much money do you think you are going to save on a 10 hr trip by not running the a/c and is it worth the inconvience of having your car filled with hot air by keeping the windows open

At 55MPH or higher, you use less gas with the AC than you do with the windows open.

If you drive with the AC off and the windows closed, well, you get what you deserve. You'll save maybe 5% on your mileage, but if you have good insurance you'll be covered for your heat stroke and your cruise will be refunded, so you'll have all that money to pay for gas for the ride home.

At 55MPH or higher, you use less gas with the AC than you do with the windows open.

If you drive with the AC off and the windows closed, well, you get what you deserve. You'll save maybe 5% on your mileage, but if you have good insurance you'll be covered for your heat stroke and your cruise will be refunded, so you'll have all that money to pay for gas for the ride home.

The person asked a reasonable question in todays gas market. I do not understand why people have to get sarcastic !!!! :(

Actually, the reason I said I didn't want information on not running the A/C is because I'm not that masochistic. I fully intend on running the A/C all the way down I-95. Gas priced be damned!

But thanks to everyone who ignored my initial request. :o

Actually, the reason I said I didn't want information on not running the A/C is because I'm not that masochistic.

<<My fiance and I are driving 10+ hours to Port Canaveral, and we're looking to save money on gas. I know all the tips about tire pressure and not running the A/C. . .not looking for info on that.>>

this was part of your original post and i as a few others read it to mean that you were going to make sure your tires were inflated properly and that you would not be running your a/c

sorry for the misunderstanding

<<My fiance and I are driving 10+ hours to Port Canaveral, and we're looking to save money on gas. I know all the tips about tire pressure and not running the A/C. . .not looking for info on that.>>

this was part of your original post and i as a few others read it to mean that you were going to make sure your tires were inflated properly and that you would not be running your a/c

sorry for the misunderstanding

I saw it the same way.

Glad I'm not EJ, btw! :p

The Phillips 66 by me have a card that gives you cents off per gallon if you buy certain things inside their store. Like candy, chips, milk, car washes, etc. Not sure if that's what you mean or if it is even near you. Sorry, Misty :(

I was thinking the same thing... I am driving 12 hours to Houston in December. I saw on MSN's money that they have a list of credit cards.. (I know you said you had enough, but....) some will give you 5%-10% off your gas. I also saw some time back that Citgo did a gift card that gave you 5 cents off per gallon. You are correct about the Wal-Mart card- it does give you 3 cents off. I always do the Murphy USA store locator and trip planner. they give you all of the stations located within 5 miles of your travel route. I only go to Murphy USA since, well lots of reasons, but mainly the 3 cents off. Hope this helps! by the way, I LMAO on some of the responses. I won't say how frugal I am.. but I really did try to save on gas by rolling the windows up and no a/c. Right now, I think I was just stupid!!! Didn't work either. Most newer cars - it doesn't matter if the a/c is on or not. Oh well... we learn! Hope you have a safe and memorable journey! That is the reason we go right?:D

You are correct about the Wal-Mart card- it does give you 3 cents off. I always do the Murphy USA store locator and trip planner. they give you all of the stations located within 5 miles of your travel route. I only go to Murphy USA since, well lots of reasons, but mainly the 3 cents off.

So . . . if you drive 1500 miles each way (3000 miles total), and get 20 mpg in your car (conservative estimate, if that's what you get and you're worried about saving money you should start with a more fuel efficient vehicle), then you use 150 gallons of gas on the trip. 150 gallons * $.03/gallon equals a grand total of $4.50 saved.

I hope Murphy USA is already the cheapest gas out there, cuz if you go out of your way to save only three cents (which is about 1% of the price of gas) you are almost certainly spending more money to get to that station then you will save with that discount.

Actually, at 20MPG, 1 mile = $.15 (@ $3/gallon), so 1 mile out of your way costs you all the savings from 5 gallons of gas, and 4 miles out of your way (and that's roundtrip, of course, so really only 2 miles out of your way) costs you all the savings for a 20 gallon fillup.

What I am wondering about is a gas discount card, if there is such a thing. Don't want a credit card; Lord knows I've got all those I need. But I was wondering if y'all have ever heard of a gas company giving discounts if you consistantly buy from their company? Like a grocery store has those keychain discount cards?

Piney:

We just drove this week from Charlotte to Orlando, and the most common discount along I-95 these days is for those who pay CASH. Many of the signs towering above the highway have tiny signs attached that read "CASH" below the price displayed. Depending on your budget system, you may want to pay cash for gas and put other expenses on your credit card.

Piney:

We just drove this week from Charlotte to Orlando, and the most common discount along I-95 these days is for those who pay CASH. Many of the signs towering above the highway have tiny signs attached that read "CASH" below the price displayed. Depending on your budget system, you may want to pay cash for gas and put other expenses on your credit card.

OOOHH good to hear. We're driving from MI to FL for our cruise in Nov. by then gas prices will be like 7 dollars a gallon probably ( OK I exaggerate a little) but any discount we get will be better.

to OP, I don't know if there are speedways south of MI, but they have a gas card you can buy. it's a $50 card but you only pay 49. not a lot of savings, but for us it will get us out of MI. then we can find a little cheaper prices as we head south.

It isn't a discount card, but more along the line of careful planning. Check the web site http://gasbuddy.com. This will list gas prices for any state, although only for 36 hours. You know the approximate range of your car for one tank of gas, use that as part of your planning.

From personal experience, fill up between Macon and Tifton, GA if you are on I-75 (bet prices If found on my last trip was at the Rte 80 exit on I-475, Macon by-pass, last exit before rejoining I-75). Gas prices around Gainesville, FL and north are brutal. Fill up again in Orlando, even if you don't really need it. Prices near Miami are pretty high also.

Best prices I have found are at Murphy USA at WalMart stores

You're worrying about something that isn't even worth worrying about.....

Let's assume your driving 600 miles each way and your car gets 20 miles to the gallon. So, you'll burn 30 gallons of gas each way. Even if you found a magic gas card that saved you 25 cents per gallon, you'd only be saving $7.50 each way, or $15 total. Even if gas was $1 cheaper, the difference is still only $60.

If $15 is going to make a difference, you probably should reconsider that vacation or have a couple less drinks while on the cruise.

Don't sweat the small stuff!! :D

Archived