Any Comments On Tux Rental?

It's getting a little late, but we're considering renting instead of packing a dress suite and dinner jackets besides:D

Has anyone had good experiences or bad with this. Leaves more room for some minor shopping and less weight in the luggage (Med Cruise on Celebrity Millennium, out of Venice Aug. 30th;) )

DH did this for our Med trip last summer for exactly the same reasons. Left me more room for the great shopping:) Everything is in the room already pressed including the shirts. Less for me to iron. We have done this a few times and will continue to do so.

We have not used the rental service given the cost and the possibility of something not fitting. We just roll up our tux/jackets in the luggage. As soon as we get on the ship we send the formal stuff out to be pressed. It works best for us. We get our clothes back by 5PM on formal night. Just a thought.

Not only has my husband rented the tux, but also the dress shoes on our cruises. Since his weight has fluctuated since the last two cruiises (it's been a while since Weight Watchers for us both), had we purchased a tux it wouldn't fit for our upcoming cruise anyway. The rented tux works fine. Once the shoes were a tad tight and he changed the size onboard. They do have some extras of the shoes and tuxes for fit issues.

Not packing those size 12s or a tux does save on packing space!

On the Cnstellation last year, I brought my tux as usual only to discover that I had somehow forgotten to pack the pants! Not a big deal, but when you're 6'7" and wear a 36" inseam it was a scary prospect. I rushed to the guest services, arranged for the last minute rental and was amazed that the pants were delivered that afternoon...the legth was hemmed too short and our cabin steward rushed them back for alteration...in about 15 min. he was back with a perfect fit! I wore them to the two formal nights and no one knew that they weren't the pants that came with the rest of the outfit. I still always bring my own tux and accessories to insure that I've got the right fit but kudos to Celebrity for their quick and efficient help in case of a problem such as this.

Although I own a tux, it does take up space in our luggage that can be put to better use, so I frequently rent formal wear when going on a cruise. I believe the same company provides this service to several lines, and I have had nothing but positive results each time I have used them. I always try the tux on as soon as it is delivered so that any problems can be handled before the first formal night. Aside from wrinkled trousers on once occasion, the fit and appearance have always been excellent.:)

On the Cnstellation last year, I brought my tux as usual only to discover that I had somehow forgotten to pack the pants! Not a big deal, but when you're 6'7" and wear a 36" inseam it was a scary prospect. I rushed to the guest services, arranged for the last minute rental and was amazed that the pants were delivered that afternoon...the legth was hemmed too short and our cabin steward rushed them back for alteration...in about 15 min. he was back with a perfect fit! I wore them to the two formal nights and no one knew that they weren't the pants that came with the rest of the outfit. I still always bring my own tux and accessories to insure that I've got the right fit but kudos to Celebrity for their quick and efficient help in case of a problem such as this.

wow!!

That's extremely impressive!!

Thank you for all your great responses! We decided to rent and it is all set up. We were told it would be delivered the evening of the first night of ther cruise...if there was any problem, just let them know right away...they have whatever you need to exchange right on board!

Yeah...more room in suitecase! Decided to take personal shoes, since he would need them for the some of the other remaining evenings:rolleyes:

Don't think you'll regret the tux rental. For the record, my spouse did take some shoes on the cruises, but he has horrid bunions and doesn't own real "dress" shoes. We have solved the issue by finding him a pair of black Merrell Jungle Mocs. His feet are happy, and I figure that as long as the shoes are black nobody will notice.

It's getting a little late, but we're considering renting instead of packing a dress suite and dinner jackets besides:D

Has anyone had good experiences or bad with this. Leaves more room for some minor shopping and less weight in the luggage (Med Cruise on Celebrity Millennium, out of Venice Aug. 30th;) )

We have rented on every cruise my DH and I have sailed on.

It is a good product.

However, a few times....the size has had issues.

Strongly recommend that you try on the tuxedo as soon as it appears in your cabin. Your cabin attendant can handle any size issues that might arise.

If you wait until the day that you need to wear the tuxedo, the sizes can now be very limited, for an exchange.

It is very easy to rent & very convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise w/Celebrity Millennium will be soon. I am debating whether to purchase a tuxedo for my husband or rent one. Any comments on this. How do I go about renting one? Seven day cruise, so how many nights will he wear it? And how many formal type dresses will I need, and how 'formal' will they need to be. We haven't cruised before, so this is all new to us. Thank you kindly.

Our first cruise w/Celebrity Millennium will be soon. I am debating whether to purchase a tuxedo for my husband or rent one. Any comments on this. How do I go about renting one? Seven day cruise, so how many nights will he wear it? And how many formal type dresses will I need, and how 'formal' will they need to be. We haven't cruised before, so this is all new to us. Thank you kindly.

Hello jrbills...

May I welcome you to Cruise Critic !!! It's good to have you aboard !

For a one week cruise, you will have two formal nights.

The tux rental, should you choose to rent...will cost about $100. and it will be one tuxedo with two shirts. Each formal night he will have a clean shirt to wear.

With a rental, you don't have to worry about buying one...or packing it...or having it wrinkled when you get onboard...or sending it out to be pressed...or packing it for the return trip...or drycleaning it when you get home, etc.... All of these things are why we always rent. It is just so easy.

Also, you can rent the shoes, if you wish.

You can also wear the same formal twice, but most folks will bring two separate outfits. Or...they will wear the same formal pants and bring two tops.

Just be sure that whatever you bring to wear...that is is comfortable ! You will wear it to dinner...and into the evening and you want to fully enjoy yourself.

Have fun planning your cruise vacation...

and Welcome Again ! :D

Archived