Henna tattos?

Northy96

Hey im going on a cruise in a few days we will be stopping in St. Thomass St. Marteen and San Juan i believe. Do you know of any places at these prots taht would do henna tattoos?

What are the price like? Is it decent work? How long does it take? etc etc

Thanks

You do not mention on which cruise line you will be sailing, but I can tell you that Carnival has a temporary tattoo venue available aboard ship...takes just a couple of minutes. The price varies with size and number of colors; I think I paid $15 for mine. It lasted about 5-6 days. Hope this helps. :)

my daughter had two done this past March. First one was done in Cozumel, took 1/2 hour to complete, was $25.00, pretty large in size and lasted SIX WEEKS. He did it all free hand and it was beautiful. The second one was done on the beach of Costa Maya...lasted 2 days, cost $25.00, he traced it and was smaller in size.

Moral of the story...lol...there is no way to tell how good or bad the final product will be. She enjoyed the one on her back that lasted the 6 weeks and looks forward to getting another in November.

Good luck finding someone and have fun! :)

• 3 months later...

I got a henna tatoo around my ankle while in Cozumel. The artist did it all free hand and since it was very humid (rainy on/off all day) it took a good bit of time to dry well. It lasted about 3 weeks, well within the 2-3 week time frame he quoted me. Initially he wanted $15-20 I think, but my DH offered him $10 which he agreed to. Took him only a very few minutes to do but it was VERY well done.....unfortunately there must have been some henna dye on the back of the chair I sat on because I later found some on my shirt sleeve and I know it didn't come from my ankle! :) I will definitely repeat this next time I'm on a cruise....it was a fun way to do something a little bit "wild" for me (I'm a mom of 3 and work in education!) and I don't have to worry about it later on in life!

• 4 weeks later...

Most henna tattoos will only last a couple of weeks. Henna is a plant-based stain that stains the layers of your skin and as the skin naturally sheds, the tattoo will fade. Do NOT get a tattoo that is black!! Henna is reddish-brown & is NEVER black. They use black hair dye to color the henna & the dye can cause cancer, liver damage, & severe allergic reactions among other things.

The ones that are offered on the ship are air-brushed on & come in colors. These are safe, but they are not henna.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny story about Henna tattoos.......I took the wife and kids(all of age) to Carlos & Charlies one evening while docked in Cozumel..........BIG MISTAKE!!!.....I could hardly keep up with them in there..........the wiife decided to get a tattoo, which she HATES, BTW, .........so she goes over to the Henna tattoo man and has a nice sun put on the upper part of her chest........mind you, she has had TOO many to drink.........When I finally get 'em all back to the ship, she realizes what she has done, later that night, and spends three hours scrubbing the tattoo........and she gets it off........along with some skin, too..........

• 3 months later...

The ship tattoos last for weeks. The ones we've purchased in port only last a few days. In Costa Maya, the colors started to run as soon as my daughter got in the water. Very cheap.

Happy sails!

• 1 year later...
What are some designs that the Carnival ship tattoos are?

They have a few books to choose from. I got a beautiful palm tree that was done in many colors. (I just wish I would have gotten it sooner, to enjoy it in the warm weather and not covered up when I got home to Pa. in october)

They had fairies, and dolphins, ships, barbed wire, the face of Christ, there were so many, I can't really remember all of them, I'll ask my honey when he gets up for work what he remembers. But there were a selection.

Funny story about Henna tattoos.......I took the wife and kids(all of age) to Carlos & Charlies one evening while docked in Cozumel..........BIG MISTAKE!!!.....I could hardly keep up with them in there..........the wiife decided to get a tattoo, which she HATES, BTW, .........so she goes over to the Henna tattoo man and has a nice sun put on the upper part of her chest........mind you, she has had TOO many to drink.........When I finally get 'em all back to the ship, she realizes what she has done, later that night, and spends three hours scrubbing the tattoo........and she gets it off........along with some skin, too..........

Moral of the story:

Henna today, gone tomorrow!

Ron

About 13 in our group had the same henna tattoo done at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. One in the group had an allergic reaction. It was so severe, that the tattoo transferred to the back of her thigh because she had her leg "folded" when she slept. Here is a picture of what it looked like 4 days later! It did eventually clear up, but caused us all some concern.

2223421070064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

• 1 month later...
About 13 in our group had the same henna tattoo done at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. One in the group had an allergic reaction. It was so severe, that the tattoo transferred to the back of her thigh because she had her leg "folded" when she slept. Here is a picture of what it looked like 4 days later! It did eventually clear up, but caused us all some concern.

That is great that it actually cleared up!

I can't remember where I read about it but I had read that some people have allergic reactions and it scars them permanently. Not trying to scare anyone, just something to think about.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Ouch!! Glad it cleared up -- that looks like it must have been painful! I never heard of henna causing such problems, so thanks for the good advice!

Archived