Question about Movies Under The Stars

Steve13

We'll be on the Crown next month, our first Princess cruise. MUTS looks interesting, but I'm curious how they handle the audio. Is the audio playing all the time, even during the day? If we're poolside are we going to be bombarded with audio from the big screen??

We were on the Crown in June and the sound was on all the time. Kind of loud when we passed through the area. I have read that since that time, wireless headphones are being given out to people who want to listen to MUTS and to cut down on the noise.

If the Crown is not using the head-sets, the sound is on all the time. Be aware that if you don't want to hear (or watch) the movies, there are three other pools that you can enjoy including 2 adult-only pool areas. The sound does not carry from one area to another.

Have a great cruise!

I haven't sailed on the Crown yet but the other ships with MUTS do play it all day and you can hear it when you walk by that pool area. However as was stated earlier if you aren't interested there are other pools. On the Caribbean the two main pools are almost back to back and while lying out by the one without MUTS I never heard it! They have done a nice job of containing the noise to only that area.

The sound is on all the time - that's the bad part.

The good part is that they must have turned it down. I had trouble hearing it while the movie was on. I thought that I was going deaf, but my wife couldn't hear it clearly either.

That reminds me of my aunt and uncle. They had 14 kids. My aunt was a little hard of hearing. My uncle would ask her "Do you want to go to sleep or what?" Being somewhat deaf her reply invariably was "What?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• 2 weeks later...

GAWDDDD, I hope this is true! There's enough noise pollution in our lives as it is. :eek: Thanks for the info!

Report from Cruise News Daily was that wireless headsets would be retrofitted on all MUTS ships toward the end of the year and would be used instead of the speakers during the day.

Once when I walked through the MUTS pool area last week, in the late afternoon, the movie being shown had captions. I walked through the MUTS area a few times during the day (never stayed there, though) and the sound never bothered me. It's amazing how they manage to insulate the sound from the other parts of the deck.

Personally, I kind of hate that they are going to headsets, as I would think you wouldn't be able to wear them while bobbing in the pool, and one of my favorite things was to watch the movie while in the pool (Nicholas Cage up on the screen in National Treasure... me watching while bobbing in the pool in the sun with my friends... now THAT was a good afternoon).

Also, I would like to say on behalf of those who ARE trying to watch the movie at the MUTS pool during the day... if you don't WANT to watch the movie and would rather chat with your friends... please choose another pool!!! We had to move because the ladies behind us were chatting away at full volume (presumably so they could hear themselves over the sound of the movie which we were trying to hear).

To those who enjoy MUTS, let us enjoy it. If you don't - move somewhere else - it's a big ship!

:)

Since when are there stars out during the day? I thought it was called Movies Under The STARS....not SUNSHINE. :confused:

Also, I would like to say on behalf of those who ARE trying to watch the movie at the MUTS pool during the day... if you don't WANT to watch the movie and would rather chat with your friends... please choose another pool!!! We had to move because the ladies behind us were chatting away at full volume (presumably so they could hear themselves over the sound of the movie which we were trying to hear).

To those who enjoy MUTS, let us enjoy it. If you don't - move somewhere else - it's a big ship!

:)

The stars are still there... you just can't see them when the sun is out. ;)
Tina Lee, the astronomers among us thank you for that. We would only add that our sun is a star, too. A relatively insignificant one as stars go (apparent magnitude +4.8) , but ours nonetheless.:) So technically, Movies Under the STARS is correct at all times. (Not that common usage and vernacular is all that technical).

I knew that! :p Just wanted to be a smarty pants. :D

But, I prefer being under the stars when I can see them twinkling. I also prefer my movies shown inside in a dedicated area JUST for that. Even a drive-in theater isn't right in the middle of a swimming pool/eating/socializing area. :(

The stars are still there... you just can't see them when the sun is out. ;)

Where do stars go in the daytime?

Archived