Cancel or Change Options?

roykirk1

Hi

Booked for 8/13 Spirit sailing this Sunday.

A relative just passed away. Did not purchase insurance.

Trying to figure out my options.

1) Cancel - no chance of refund, right?

2) Change - can I transfer my ticket to someone else?

3) Postpone - any chance NCL would allow me to change to a much later sailing (next year, at this point)? Yeah, I doubt it too.

Assuming I go on the cruise... the funeral is actually on the day the ship returns to NY. The ticket says 10am arrival. How soon can I be off the ship (assuming its on time)? Is the 10am the actual arrival, or is it the disembarkation time (sorry, never cruised before, not sure if ship arrives, then crew spends like 30-60 minutes getting ready for disembarkation, etc). Will crew let me off early if I inform them beforehand? This may not matter though, since the procession will leave at 10am, meaning I'd have to be there by around that time.

Great Stirrup Cay - any chance I can fly home from there? I guess I could fly home from Nassau, but since the I dont actually have to be home til Fri/Sat, I'd prefer to stay on the ship as long as possible.

Thanks for any advice/insight.

I can answer # 2 unless they changed it from a year ago.

A friend of mine is bi polar and was told not to cruise on a Thursday afternoon.

We sailed on Sunday.

Luckily I knew 2 who could use her cabin (and pay her back some money so she didn't lose it all)

You have to have your travel agent call NCL and have them switch names. There is a cut off time to do this but they might have let it slide?

(I know we were still dealing with this the night before the cruise)

And there is a fee fro name changes.

Sorry i can't remember what it was last year.

Maybe call NCL and see what they have to say

1) Cancel - no chance of refund, right?

2) Change - can I transfer my ticket to someone else?

3) Postpone - any chance NCL would allow me to change to a much later sailing (next year, at this point)? Yeah, I doubt it too.

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

As for your options, I'm 99.9% sure that Options 1 and 3 are out. If you cancel, definitely no refund - within 7 days of sailing, the cancellation fee is 100%. Postponing is also out, because NCL would consider it a cancellation - they don't offer rescheduling as an option unless they cause the sailing to be cancelled.

No. 2 is doable. I know because I had to do it this past February. My TA worked hard for me and got a name change approved the day before I sailed. There was a $50 name change fee. I would get on the phone first thing in the morning and work on this option if that's what you decide to do. On such short notice, I don't believe NCL is technically obliged to honor your request, but if you (or your TA) are courteously persuasive, you may be able to get the name changes through. Another note: if you're trying to change both names on your booking, it might be more difficult. In my case, I was still going on the cruise but I was changing my companion's name.

Good luck!

#2 is probably not doable at this point either. When the OP wrote the original post, they were already with the seventy-two (72) hour window where the Coast Guard want the ship’s manifest set.

Plus, given current conditions on the world’s terrorist scene, I would not expect to be given any latitude either.

If conditions and feeling allow, go on the cruise.........

FYI to all>>>another story supporting the need to get trip/cruise insurance!

The one question not answered - The Spirit has been docking well before 10am (8-9 am), Chances are if you select express disembarkation and carry your own bags off the ship you could be in a cab just after 10 am. If that gives you a good chance to make the service in may help with the decision. No guarantee the ship could always be late.

I was on the Spirit in April, IF you self disembark, you can be off the ship early. Meaning, you haul all your own bags off the ship yourself without help. Key is PACKING LIGHT with one quality rolling bag. I was off the ship before 9am, since they did arrive early on this particular sailing.

I was on the Spirit in April, IF you self disembark, you can be off the ship early. Meaning, you haul all your own bags off the ship yourself without help. Key is PACKING LIGHT with one quality rolling bag. I was off the ship before 9am, since they did arrive early on this particular sailing.

You can deal with two bags each. One bag has wheels, then you strap another bag about half that size onto the big bag. And off you go. This assumes your bag has a hanging strap, not all do.

Hello

Thanks for the condolences and the tips.

I called NCL and as expected... too late to change or cancel or postpone. I asked about disembarking mid-cruise, and they said "uuuhhh, no." Frankly, I dont think they can stop me, I just dont want them to hit my GF with a huge surcharge or something if they discover I left the ship. Obviously, I did not ask about them arranging a flight for me!

She said the "official" line is that the ship docks at 10am and disembarkation may begin as late as noon. From other posters, I know that it is possible (with the right conditions) that people can get off much sooner. She said to be sure to let someone know of my situation as soon as I board, so that they can accomodate me as best as possible.

Does anyone know who the best person to speak to on board is? She was not sure, mentioning only that I should go to "customer service".

At this point, I am leaning towards going on the cruise, and getting off asap in hopes of getting to the lower east side of manhattan in time for the proceedings on Saturday.

Thanks again. As usual, this board has more answers than the cruise line itself! 8-)

What time is the service ?

I would pen a note to the Hotel Director or Assistant Hotel Director when you board explaining your situation ask for their help in getting you off the ship as early as possible.

Their names will be in the Freestyle Daily that you get when you board and note paper and envelopes will be in your cabin. Just put their name on the outside and ask someone at the front desk to put it in the correct mailbox,

Good luck.

What time is the service ?

I would pen a note to the Hotel Director or Assistant Hotel Director when you board explaining your situation ask for their help in getting you off the ship as early as possible.

Their names will be in the Freestyle Daily that you get when you board and note paper and envelopes will be in your cabin. Just put their name on the outside and ask someone at the front desk to put it in the correct mailbox,

Good luck.

Hotel Director or Asst. Great. Thanks. The procession leaves at 10am, so I'd have to get off by 9:15/9:30 to have a shot to get there in time. We'll see, I guess.

Thanks, Shoreguy

I called NCL and as expected... too late to change or cancel or postpone. I asked about disembarking mid-cruise, and they said "uuuhhh, no." Frankly, I dont think they can stop me, I just dont want them to hit my GF with a huge surcharge or something if they discover I left the ship. Obviously, I did not ask about them arranging a flight for me!

Well, if you want to attempt it then you will have to do it in Nassau. It would be considered "missing" the ship then. I would recommend not trying to take your luggage off with you if you do, as they will stop you.

My mother-in-law passed away while my DH and I were on a cruise a few years ago. We were notified by my sister-in-law using Ship to Shore telephone and advised of her passing. She then asked us how quickly we could make it up to PA where the funeral would be held and then arranged the funeral based upon that information. This all happened on the last full day of the trip. We went to meet with the Hotel Manager and requested the cruise line assist us with getting off the ship first thing as soon as it docked in Miami and cleared customs. I must say RCCL did everything they could to expedite our disembarking so that we would run home (we live 45 minutes from the port), grab suitcases that my daughter had packed for us and start the drive to PA so that we could make the funeral the next day.

I agree with Shoreguy - ask and I can't imagine that they wouldn't want to assist you.

Well, if you want to attempt it then you will have to do it in Nassau. It would be considered "missing" the ship then. I would recommend not trying to take your luggage off with you if you do, as they will stop you.

In addition, the Coast Guard would have to be notified that passengers are missing. Could lead to the ship being held up while a search is done. The Bahamian authorities would also get involved. It simply isn't worth it. If found out, you and your party might be subject to some sort of fine or reimbursement to the authorities and the cruiseship for your actions.

Archived