Picture ID for 11 yr old?

itzkaren

First of all........THANK YOU :) ! for all the great info on these boards! We leave this Sunday, July 11th on the Carnival Pride

We all (6 of us) have certified birth certificates (2 have passports).....and picture ID's.....except my 11 yr old daughter and 10 yr old niece. Will birth certificates be enough for them? I do have a notarized travel document for my niece allowing me to take her out of the country (Mexico)

I've heard about Calif ID available at DMV....but sure would like to avoid a day at DMV this week, if possible!

Any thoughts/experiences shared would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Itzkaren

The form does include a portion for the medical consent. I downloaded the form from some suggestion on the boards....it's an "Affidavit of Parental Consent for travel outside the US ......" it was available on landfalltravel.com

But what about a picture ID? Still am wondering about that?!

Thanks!
itzkaren

Karen--
You don't have to have to have anything since they're under 16 but you can go to your local DMV and get a ID card for them for about $5. They think it's neat because it looks like a Driver's License and it is a good form of ID to have for flights too. Our 11 year-old Godson's Mom took him to get one. He even decided he wanted to be an organ donor and they did that on it too.

Check with your cruise line and/or airline but generally children under 16 are not required to have picture ID, only birth certificate. This is pretty standard with the cruiselines and airlines but there may be rare exceptions.

Don

From the DMV, that is. When we got them for our kids several years ago, they were mailed to us, it took several weeks to process. If they have a school ID, that would work, but I'm also doubtful anyone under 16 needs an additional photo ID.

Always better to be safe than sorry, though, the cruiseline does state in their brochures and documentation that passengers are liable to produce proper ID. Just something to be aware of for your next cruise.

Have a great time!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the responses.......last night, I caught up on some reading and looked at the "Welcome Aboard" brochure from Carnival. Re: picture ID, it states, "....all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo ID. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificates) be identical to those on the cruise tickets."

So, the girls (10 & 11) will be fine with birth certificates, and the boys (17 & 18) have driver's licenses.

AND........with reading all these posts......we will definitely get passports for all for our next cruise. My husband has one......he has been involved in medical missions to Mexico......and has had to travel through some "non-tourist" areas.....they are a definite must have there.

One more ID question...........do I (as mom, and holder of all important papers).....carry these birth certificates, notarized letter from my niece's parents, etc.......with me when we get off the ship at the ports? Or will the S&S cards be proof of ID for everyone?

Thanks in advance for these last minute questions! Starting to feel a little bit anxious about making sure we have our ducks in a row......haven't even started packing......time to start the laundry brigade....and put things in the suitcases!

Karen ?days/?hours to go! :D

You only need the birth certificates when you get on the ship originally, put them in the safe when you get on board. As far as the picture IDs, that may depend on the particular ship you are on. Many ships have pictures included in the S@S system so the IDs should not be necessary. Some ships may not have that technology so check on board.

Don

My children have never needed picture ID, but then we're easy: American-born parents traveling with American-born biological children, all with same last name, looking so much like one another that there's no question about our authenticity.

If you're really worried, I'd suggest calling your travel agent or your cruise line.

Archived