Westerdam SA 7085 and 7086 balconies a mistake?

love2relax

Has anyone ever stayed in SA 7085 or SA 7086 on the Westerdam? We recently upgraded (within 10 days of sailing) from an SY to these cabins. We were offered them since they were close to elevators and a staircase where we could easily cross through to get to each other's cabins...specifically for our day cruising Glacier Bay. I assume they are covered (a plus if it rains), but I am starting to worry about how the adjacent cabins towards the aft jut out further than ours. Will it ruin our view? I paid for the upgrade as a surprise to my sister's family, and am hoping that they won't be upset about a blocked view. (Maybe that's why they were still available.) We have been offered the upgrade twice, but last time I refused (too much extra money and only the offer of a guarantee...we wanted to be close to each other on opposite sides of the ship, so this time, I said I'd move only if they could accomodate that request...which they did.) I'm very happy about the suite...but just concerned since I made the change without anyone else's in my group's knowledge. Any info, balcony pics, or encouragement would help. Thanks in advance.

Lovetorelax,

Your SA cabin views will not be at all obstructed. Granted you will not be able to see the wake, but very few port or starboard cabins do. I think the location is marvelous. It's quiet, close to the dining room, and not far enough aft to really pick up alot of motion. The beds in both cabins face aft, however. The verandas are fully covered. The walking to the forward sections of the ship will be considerable, but hopefully that is not an issue with any of you. The suites are wonderful and you will really appreciate the amenities including the free laundry/dry cleaning. Crossing the mini-lobby to get to your friends' cabin will not be a problem, and seeing that the elevators are not midship, there will probably be less traffic. You realize that you'll be in a different corridor but because you are so close to the little lobby it's just a short scoot one cabin aft and then across.

Hope this helps,

GN

GN, Thanks for your response. I have read many of your posts. You mentioned one thing I never even thought about: the beds facing aft. After thinking for a while, I think that in all of the ships I have been on that ALL of my beds have faced aft, so I don't see that as a problem. I am usually located very close to the front of the ship on a higher deck (usually 10 or 11) and don't have ANY problem whatsoever with motion sickness. I love being at sea. I was just really getting worried about those adjacent cabins. Thank you so much...I still would love to hear from anyone that might have a pic of those cabins' balconies facing aft.

Mary,

The SA balcony pictures that I have are from the Zaandam and Maasdam and mostly show the furniture and the views. September will be our first time on Westerdam and I will take some pix for you and post them.

I do know that the SA cabins on the Vista class are slightly smaller than those on the S and R class ships but the bathrooms are larger with 2 sinks, separate shower stall and full size whirlpool. You will love the separate dressing room with it's vanity and large mirrored closets.

I also know that the verandas on the deck you are on have the most overhead coverage. The aft verandas are cantilevered and depending on the deck have more or less of an overhang so most of the veranda is in the open. Candy has some pix of the aft verandas on the Zuiderdam so you can do a search or her past posts. The layout is the same.

GN

7085 & 7086 - you will have a partial obstruction while standing on the verandah and looking towards the stern of the ship.

If you were going to cruise in the Caribbean, not Alaska, I would advise not to take these cabins as the people on those "hump" cabins can see everything on your verandah!!

Hope all works out for all of you.

Great idea to be able to cross back and forth and view everything from both starboard and port sides.

Grannynurse, I have seen photos of the balconies and cabins by searching the boards. I had already researched that the last time HAL contacted me. I was interested in seeing how the obstruction was....but I'm not going to worry about it any more. They're covered. That's what's important. When we're in Glacier Bay, we'll probably be looking forward and sideways more than aft. Thanks for your offers for pics, but I will precede you. We sail Aug 20th. I knew the one thing everyone said to avoid was the cabins by the glass elevators. I am also thrilled that there will be six chairs (since at times there may be five of us together on the balcony).

Krazy Kruizers, thanks for your support/advice. Since I am sharing my cabin with my father, I don't think I will have to worry about privacy like I would if I were sharing with someone else.:o On my last sailing (in Hawaii) I occupied the hump cabin, but it never even occurred to me to peek at my neighbors. We spend hours on the balcony, and rarely see anyone else out there except when entering port.

Thanks again to both of you for your kind support.

Love2cruise, I was just curious about when you were offered the upgrade. It sounds like it happened before sail date. Is it something that Hal does when space is available? Is the fee for upgrade better than if you book it to start with? We are also in a SY for the first time, we have only sailed in Deluxe suite, but the prices seemed higher than in the past.

The first time was on July 24 or 25 (We sail on Aug 20). The next time was on August 10 (a better deal). I have never sailed on HAL before. It is common for NCL to make offers for upsells when the ship isn't sold out in some of the higher categories if you let them know you're interested. I haven't heard or read anything like this on HAL. We were in assigned SY cabins. I can't really verify the pricing anymore since the ship has been "sold-out" for months (which is why I'm surprised we were offered the upgrade deals). The only thing I can think is that someone really wanted our cabins (I don't know why since they weren't that special.) All I know is that I still got what I would consider a good deal for a suite during peak season. We had basically the same cruise booked on NCL for the same dates in a category AD suite. We cancelled one day before final payment was due to book the SY through a special our TA was offering. That made our cabin about $1000 cheaper for the two of us, and we got a bigger cabin. Now with the upgrade to the SA, we still are paying less than what we would have paid on NCL, and we have a MUCH bigger cabin. We won't have the wonderful NCL butler, but we will have a concierge and the Neptune Lounge. And I have been gaining weight just thinking about room service, hor d'ourves, and juices. It wouldn't hurt to let your TA or HAL (if you booked directly with them) know that you are interested in the possibility, if it should become available.

Archived