Mad at RCCL

Royal Caribbean did that to me, too, changing my Explorer 6/30/06 itinerary from a Western Caribbean to an Eastern Caribbean, a cruise I have already done TWICE, on the EXPLORER!

Sooooooooooooo, I showed them. HA!

I switched to the Crown Princess.

And what did I get?

The cruise with the LIST!

Be careful what you wish for! ;)

Carol, are you reaally sure you were meant to see the Western Caribbean?

Don't get too upset about it. Things could change back the day you get on the ship. Cruising is so unpredictable but like everyone says just go with the flow and you will have a blast!! We were on Serenade last week and the weather was beautiful. A little rain in Juneau and that was it. I tell you...the best thing about Skagway for us was the little red restaurant across the street from the train. I think it is called Skagway fish market or something. They had the BEST clam chowder, RED King crab and halibut of our whole trip.

Enjoy!

Jenn

PH, that would be CRUISEchick, not CRITTERchick, that posted. My DH would rather have a root canal than be a passenger with me driving on a twisty, turny road. Oooooh, that sounds like fun!

Sorry, Jean....I got my 'chicks' mixed up....:o

Cruisechick82, I do understand how you feel, saving money for so long, looking forward to your trip. But you must understand that changes can happen. It's sometimes out of the control of the ship, it could be weather, it could be mechanical failure, it can be a port problem.

If you go with every hour micro-planned, you can set yourself up for disappointment. I think that is what people here are trying to tell you, relax and go with the flow. Alaska is beautiful, you will love it. The glacier will be awesome in the evening, your port stops will be wonderful. The inside passage sailing is awesome. My point is that you should have a back-up plan, in case something does go wrong. Don't set your sights just on any one thing, if your rental car doesn't work out, take a nice nature walk, visit a brewery, or a museum. There will also be excursions available for purchase right off the ship.

Critterchick, I'd need the BIG barf bag for that twisty, turney road, just the thought of it makes me queasy :o My husband actually has captions on pictures of the scenery when we have had to stop. "And, here is Wailea Canyon, Kathy left her lunch on the side of this road!".

Cruisechick82 - I can understand your frustration as I am on the Sept. 10th sailing. While I understand "going with the flow" (as so many have stated), my issue has been the lack of communication from RCI when they make the changes. I booked this cruise myself and made most of my excursion reservations in advance with RCI, requiring me to pay early...if they change the itinerary causing me to miss an excursion I reserved with them, would not it be the considerate thing to contact me to set up an alternative excursion time? I don't know, maybe RCI prefers you use an actual TA instead of booking directly with them. :confused:

Another question regarding Hubbard Glacier - I have heard sunset is at 7:30 but I have also heard it is light most of the time in Alaska this time of year...which one is correct? Maybe the ship can light up the glacier somehow after sunset for longer viewing. It will be interesting to see how they handle dinner that evening as I doubt those with early seating are going to want to miss the glacier.

I do agree, however, that no matter what, it is going to be a great cruise and Alaska will be absolutely beautiful!! :p

Cruisechick82 - I can understand your frustration as I am on the Sept. 10th sailing. While I understand "going with the flow" (as so many have stated), my issue has been the lack of communication from RCI when they make the changes. I booked this cruise myself and made most of my excursion reservations in advance with RCI, requiring me to pay early...if they change the itinerary causing me to miss an excursion I reserved with them, would not it be the considerate thing to contact me to set up an alternative excursion time? I don't know, maybe RCI prefers you use an actual TA instead of booking directly with them. :confused:

Another question regarding Hubbard Glacier - I have heard sunset is at 7:30 but I have also heard it is light most of the time in Alaska this time of year...which one is correct? Maybe the ship can light up the glacier somehow after sunset for longer viewing. It will be interesting to see how they handle dinner that evening as I doubt those with early seating are going to want to miss the glacier.

I do agree, however, that no matter what, it is going to be a great cruise and Alaska will be absolutely beautiful!! :p

Sunset is around 7:30 in September, it is not long daylight hours that late in the season. So I'm not sure what the glacier conditions will be. I guess we will have to skip our early seating for dinner since we definately aren't going to miss the glacier which is one of the main highlights.

Oh and about not knowing about the changes, apparently I'm the only one who received any info about the change(received it from my TA) No one who booked through RCCL has apparently heard anything about it directly from them.

Depending on your point of view that may be one of the advantages or disadvantages of using a travel agent.:D

Oh what a memory from 10 years ago, the fog at College Fjords. The ship basically came to a halt in the center since it was to lift as it warmed up in September. IT was almost dinner time when it started to clear that we could enjoy the beauty. We lucked out with a great Captain, any other line could have canceled due to weather.

So we do Ultimate September 2007 (A Member Cruise) so we are ready to redo everything but the $600 helicopter ride in Juneau. We are doing the railway in Skagway.

Oh what a memory from 10 years ago, the fog at College Fjords. The ship basically came to a halt in the center since it was to lift as it warmed up in September. IT was almost dinner time when it started to clear that we could enjoy the beauty. We lucked out with a great Captain, any other line could have canceled due to weather.

So we do Ultimate September 2007 (A Member Cruise) so we are ready to redo everything but the $600 helicopter ride in Juneau. We are doing the railway in Skagway.

How did the glacier look in the evening? Could you still see it well? Were you there before sunset?

If you use the link below, you can click on sunrise/sunset for any area you are interested in knowing this information. It is really invaluable to me for my photography. I believe that the sunset time for Hubbard, around the time you will be there, is around 8:40 PM or so, so you'll have plenty of viewing time.

As for renting a car in Skagway, just call them and they'll hold the car for you. You may even find that the ship gets in earlier than is scheduled once you are underway. I loved our drive up to Emerald Lake. It won't take the whole time, and the roads really aren't twisty or windy at all. I found them very easy to drive. Enjoy!

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/astronomy.html

Archived