Mad at RCCL

:mad: RCCL just changed our itineary for our upcoming cruise. They didn't change it as bad as they did for the Vision or drop Ketchikan like they did for some of the other Serenade cruises, but now we don't get into Skagway until 11:00A.M. instead of 7:30 like we were supposed to. We were supposed to be cruising Hubbard Glacier from 1-5 one day and now it's moved to 5-8 P.M. :mad:

They need to really get their act together and quit switching all these Alaska cruises around. I'm sure a bunch of people are really messed up know on their excursions for Skagway. I hope this doesn't sound too whiney or selfish with all the terrorist and other travel issues going on, but this is just dumb.

That's too bad that this has happened to you, but has RCCL given a reason?

I asked my TA, I don't they have one. They have screwed up most of their Alaska sailings this year in some way or another. While we loved our first cruise with them and I'm sure we will still have a great time on this one, I would not recommend them for Alaska at all.

When we went to Alaska all excursions that had to do with flying were canceled all day in one port. It doesn't matter what time you get there since the weather can change from day to day anyway. Schedule your excursion around the ship's new schedule.

As for Hubbard Glacier. Why does this bother you? It won't be dark yet if that is what you are worried about.

On our first cruise all the ports were messed up because the Dept of Homeland Security wouldn't allow us to go to Labadee. We didn't get to do that rainforest hike we wanted to do in San Juan due to the port time change. Oh well, it gives us something to look forward to at another time. We haven't been to Labadee yet either.

Just go with the flow and I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise. Look at it like this. At least you don't have to jump out of bed and get going right away in Skagway.

I understand being initinally upset with change...however think of it ...the Hubbard Glacier thing is really to your benifit...it is foggy in Alaska in the 'morning' (meaning anytime before 1pm) and so even if you are at the Hubbard at 11...doesnt mean you can see it good...( altho we were told when we were on the Serenade (2 weeks ago) that overcast is best for viewing...makes the ice look more blue..it was beautiful!)

Dont sweat the Skagway thing...I dotn know what you were planning to do ... but Skagway is a charming little town and unless your going on a distant adventure...you dont need a car...we took a motor coach to the summit and then walked our way thou town...( in the rain and fog...typical "Alaskan Summer day" we were told) we loved it...

And remember...could have been worse...We lost Ketchkan (13 hours port time) and got Victoria (4.5 hours port time).:eek: ...but hey, it was Beautiful and remember..it is what you make of it...as advised before...you will be On a Cruise...just go with the flow and enjoy....

(No whinning allowed):p

We're not canceling the rental car, that is our excursion, we're only in troube if we break down since we are driving 70 miles away and back on the Klondike Highway using Yukon Murray's guide to see all the sceneary.All we could afford after scraping together $1000pp for the cheapest inside over a year in advance. Alaska is sooo expensive.

I just needed to vent and RCCL had been very bad this year and messing up their Alaska cruises. At least we didn't book the Vision where they cancelled the glacier day altogether and had an "Alaska fjord" cruise without a fjord.

At least we didn't book the Vision where they cancelled the glacier day altogether and had an "Alaska fjord" cruise without a fjord.

Princess did that to us on the Sun just a few weeks ago. We were scheduled to go into Tracy Arm fjord at 6:00 AM, and as parrottop observed, it is foggy in the mornings. I will never book another cruise where the glacier viewing is in the AM. You probably will be better off at Hubbard later in the day. It does suck to have any port call shortened, as there is just not enough time in them anyway. Good luck.

MD

We kinda wanted to jump out of bed and get going in Skagway, now we are losing 3.5 hours in that port. That's a long time. We are renting a car and need about 4-5 hours just for that.

I know what you mean. I'm like that, too. I think I've been the first one up on the ship in the past. But most people seem to like sleeping in and I was hoping you'd fall for that excuse to cheer you up. :)

We're not canceling the rental car, that is our excursion, we're only in troube if we break down since we are driving 70 miles away and back on the Klondike Highway using Yukon Murray's guide to see all the sceneary.All we could afford after scraping together $1000pp for the cheapest inside over a year in advance. Alaska is sooo expensive.

I just needed to vent and RCCL had been very bad this year and messing up their Alaska cruises. At least we didn't book the Vision where they cancelled the glacier day altogether and had an "Alaska fjord" cruise without a fjord.

What time does your cruise now depart Skagway? Are you really losing 3 hours or are you actually staying later in Skagway than you were originally scheduled to stay? I know that some cruises that are arriving in Skagway mid-morning actually stay until early evening while they were previously scheduled to depart in the late afternoon, so the net time in port is not too much different. I doubt that the cruiseline is making these changes arbitrarily or just so they can ruin your cruise. There may be circumstances beyond their control causing this change to occur. You should at least give them the benefit of the doubt until or unless you learn otherwise.

The departure time is the same, we just don't arrive until 11 instead of 7:30 like we were supposed too. Most ships arrive in Skagway early and that's when a lot of excursions like the White Pass train and stuff leave.

I might be more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt if they hadn't made changes to practically every single Alaska cruise this year. They have already changed ours once before. The changes can't ALL be circumstances beyond their control.

Critterchick..be careful on that highway! It is narrow and twisty and turney beyond belief....and steep in spots...the motor coach we went of was narrorated and we stopped at all the little 'picture spots' and again at the summitt...it was spectular (sp) ...again remember most days in Alsaka are foggy and rainy...so again, please, Be Careful on that highway!

(remember to take your passports as the Yukon Summit is in Canada, so you have to stop at customs)

Enjoy...the scenery is breathtaking... and take twice as much film/memory as you think you will need... We took about 500 shots...but it is just so magnicent:D

Id go back in a heart beat!

The departure time is the same, we just don't arrive until 11 instead of 7:30 like we were supposed too. Most ships arrive in Skagway early and that's when a lot of excursions like the White Pass train and stuff leave.

I might be more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt if they hadn't made changes to practically every single Alaska cruise this year. They have already changed ours once before. The changes can't ALL be circumstances beyond their control.

Actually, the White Pass Railroad runs its excursion in the morning and also in the afternoon, so an 11 am arrival won't necessaily prevent passengers on your ship from taking the later excursion. :)

RCI's website now shows your ship arriving in Skagway at 11 am but not departing until 8 pm. What time were you originally scheduled to leave? You should recheck your itinerary with your TA, because if the website is accurate it doesn't look to me like you are going to lose three hours in port. :)

Critterchick..be careful on that highway! It is narrow and twisty and turney beyond belief....and steep in spots...the motor coach we went of was narrorated and we stopped at all the little 'picture spots' and again at the summitt...it was spectular (sp) ...again remember most days in Alsaka are foggy and rainy...so again, please, Be Careful on that highway!

(remember to take your passports as the Yukon Summit is in Canada, so you have to stop at customs)

Enjoy...the scenery is breathtaking... and take twice as much film/memory as you think you will need... We took about 500 shots...but it is just so magnicent:D

Id go back in a heart beat!

I'm bringing plenty of memory cards to take tons of pictures. We are planning to drive to Emerald Lake and back, it's about 140 miles total. As long as don't break down or anything we should be ok, I just wanted to be at Avis right when they opened at 8 to get our car and get on the road.

RCI's website now shows your ship arriving in Skagway at 11 am but not departing until 8 pm. What time were you originally scheduled to leave? You should recheck your itinerary with your TA, because if the website is accurate it doesn't look to me like you are going to lose three hours in port. :)

Ok, something is messed up, it was originally 7:30 A.M.-8:00 P.M. then it was 11-6, now it's 11-8. I'm getting confused. :o

Ok, something is messed up, it was originally 7:30 A.M.-8:00 P.M. then it was 11-6, now it's 11-8. I'm getting confused. :o

It is totally understandable. Just be prepared for changes once you get onboard. As someone else posted, congestion in the ports can create problems and cause them to adjust their schedules. With 7 or so hours in Skagway, you should be able to do whatever you had planned. Just be flexible and don't let the changes throw you. Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is a very special place and I can't wait to got back there.:)

PH, that would be CRUISEchick, not CRITTERchick, that posted. My DH would rather have a root canal than be a passenger with me driving on a twisty, turny road. Oooooh, that sounds like fun!

Cruisechick, I understand your frustration, but as others have said, just go with the flow. We've had all kinds of changes in our cruises, but we've always had a great time.

:mad: RCCL just changed our itineary for our upcoming cruise. They didn't change it as bad as they did for the Vision or drop Ketchikan like they did for some of the other Serenade cruises, but now we don't get into Skagway until 11:00A.M. instead of 7:30 like we were supposed to. We were supposed to be cruising Hubbard Glacier from 1-5 one day and now it's moved to 5-8 P.M. :mad:

They need to really get their act together and quit switching all these Alaska cruises around. I'm sure a bunch of people are really messed up know on their excursions for Skagway. I hope this doesn't sound too whiney or selfish with all the terrorist and other travel issues going on, but this is just dumb.

Royal Caribbean did that to me, too, changing my Explorer 6/30/06 itinerary from a Western Caribbean to an Eastern Caribbean, a cruise I have already done TWICE, on the EXPLORER!

Sooooooooooooo, I showed them. HA!

I switched to the Crown Princess.

And what did I get?

The cruise with the LIST!

Be careful what you wish for! ;)

Archived