Diamond Shopping in St. Thomas

Knatz

Let me start off my saying I love Jewelry as many other people do. I have made several purchases in St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Aruba. From Gold Omega Chain to Gold and Gold and gemstone slides,gemstone rings and my jeweler at home who has been a family friend for many years has approved all my purchases. All were worth quite a bit more than what I paid for them. You have to be very careful and I do my homework before I leave home if I have something specific in mind. Many times, I will go into the shops and walk out and buy nothing. I then will make my purchase back home in the states. I have been lucky, others have not been so lucky. Just my opinion on this topic. IKE

If you are going to shop for a particular thing while on vacation then do your home work and look around at home before you go. See how much similar pieces cost at home and then you will have a better idea of what is a good deal in the stores on vacation. As long as the stores you deal with are not fraudulent you should be okay but if they are truly dishonest, I doubt most lay people, even if they have attended seminars, are going to be able to tell a moissanite ( for example)from a real diamond.

Also look at the workmanship carefully. Even if the stones are a good price, if the piece is poorly made you will end up spending a fortune over the years having it repaired and you might even lose one of those nice stones.

Having said all that, if you do your homework and shop well ( and haggle a little) you can get good deals.

love2vacation,

I did well at Balerina too. I got a diamond watch at a very good price snd I've been enjoying it ever since.:)

If you want a piece a jewelry and are willing to pay because you really like it this is fine. If the average person thinks they are going to get a fabulous deal..think again. Let's see...average person with little or no REAL knowledge about gemstones VS experienced retailer who knows the buttons to push and is willing to provide an appraisal that considerably exceeds the purchase price? Add in a customer whose typical judgement could be clouded by anticipation, the excitement of a cruise, and or the time pressures of having to make a decision then and there vs. thinking about same for a few days.Who do you think has the cards in his/her hands and who will 'win' the hand. At the very best a few will get a draw, the rest will loose. And the retailer knows that his chances of seeing you again are one in ???? For significant purchases, I would use a local dealer in fine stones (not a retail jewelry store). I know where he/she lives and I can go back at any time.

Having spent 40 plus years in the jewellery business both in the UK and in Canada my advise to anyone making a major jewellery purchase outside their own country is "do not do it".

It all depends on how you view the item, is it a keepsake of your visit, do you really want it for personal pleasure etc.

Never buy as an investment, resale is nowhere near retail. I have seen so many so called bargains that turned out to be sad mistakes. I agree wholeheartedly with the previous posts from fellow experienced jewellers. Stick to a good jeweller in your home town, develop a trusting relationship as you would with your family doctor. Your purchases will then be worry free.

My favorite souvenir was from St. Thomas. We had a friend recommend a family run store. She had her wedding set made for her by Raj at Jewels Forever. The store is on Main Street. I will be working with him to get a pair of earrings to mach my anniversary ring he did for me 5 years ago.

I agree with some of the other posters here, I do not buy jewelry for an investment. I buy it because I like it and it is something to remember where I have been. While I was in St. Thomas in 1986, I purchased a diamond necklace in the shape of a heart. I have never liked big diamonds or any kind of jewelry, so that doesn't matter to me. I loved the piece and quite honestly, it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I went to many stores trying to find a heart necklace. I paid $150 (A lot of money for me back then) and had it appraised here for more than double. It is 1/2 carat or 1 carat total. Can't remember at the moment. I guess along with most other things, times, they are a changin'. Maybe back then you actually "did" get deals.

My husband and I have purchased several pieces of jewelry in St. Thomas over the years. Two personal favorite stores are Dynasty Dazzlers and Royal Caribbean in Havensight Mall. The jewelry has been checked by a local jeweler we know, and they are confirmed to be quality pieces. The jeweler even mentioned that we paid much less than US prices.

You must use caution when buying ANY piece of jewelry. If you're considering buying diamond earrings, do your research prior to your trip. If you do decide to buy on the islands, ask the manager if they have any locations in the States. For instance, Dynasty Dazzlers have a connection in the Diamond District in NYC.

Good luck!

If you do decide to buy on the islands, ask the manager if they have any locations in the States. For instance, Dynasty Dazzlers have a connection in the Diamond District in NYC.

How do I find out about that? I bought my ring from them. I don't have any problems with it but just in case! Thanks!

Archived