Copenhagen walking tour questions

For anyone who has taken Celebrity (Constellation) to Copenhagen, I realize that any responses you will provide are subjective, but I am asking anyway.

We arrive at 12:30 noon until 12:00 midnight. A lot of extra walking, could be a problem. Where does the shuttle drop you off? (Can you recall the price?)

Our itinerary possibiities:

(1) We would like to take Richard Karpen's tour of Rosenborg Castle from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If we do, then this must be our first itinerary. Is it a far walk from the ship?

(2) Using Rick Steeves' Stroget walking tour, we would like to start from the Train Station and proceed to Nyhaven, to Amalienborg, to the Little Mermaid, to the ship.

(3) We might be interested in a 50-minute canal tour from Nyhaven.

Our preferences are to do Rosenborg and then the Stroget walk. Walking to the train station from Rosenborg and THEN the walking tour back to the ship would not be a smart move for me; can we take a local bus to the Train Station to start the walking tour?

If our first preference is not a good idea, and if the shuttle drops us off at the Tourist Information center by the Train Station, then we would do the Stroget walk and (perhaps) the canal tour only.

Depending on how tired we are after the afternoon, we thought we might take the Celebrity Tivoli option which is special shuttle and tickets into Tivoli, in the early evening. How long on average would we expect to stay in Tivoli? Is it worth it? (We would be interested in looking around, especially at gardens, but would not be interested in midway rides or restaurants. We would return to the ship for late seating dinner.)Would we be better off to just visit Tivoli instead of the canal tour in late afternoon and then simply return to the ship?

For all other itineraries, we have booked ship's tours and DenRus. This is the only city that we thought we would walk on our own. Thanks for any assistance that you can give.

Just returned from Constellation, and we did not dock at Langelinie because of port congestion. There was no announcement, but we saw other ships filling the space at Langelinie, so we backed into the pier with Rotterdam on the other side of us. I walked to Rosenborg Slot (Castle) from the pier (Frihavn-Cruise Copenhagen?) near Nordhavn S-Tog station because I thought it wouldn't be too far--WRONG! I found out later that the #26 bus or the S-Tog to Osterport would have been much better.

Ship shuttles were $5. each way at all ports (where offered), except for the evening Tivoli shuttle ($20 RT, including the Tivoli admission ticket). The regular shuttle drops you off near Kongens Torv, not near the main train station (Kobenhavn-H)

Since I'm not a "shopper", I found Stroget to be just another crowded street.

Purely a personal impression, I enjoyed Copenhagen much less than I expected. After the other cities we visited, it seemed larger, more crowded, and more "globalized" than Tallinn, Helsinki, or Oslo. It could just be the long walk to Rosenborg and then Tivoli in such a short time, and after 2 days in London and 8 days of the cruise, left me too tired to enjoy it.

We used Sir Richard's walking tour. It was the Romantic Copenhagen tour. If you can, go with him! He's extremely amusing and knowledgeable. It was definitely a highlight of our Copenhagen experience. When we were finished with the tour, we asked him for recommendations for lunch. He led us to a little pastry shoppe...OMG!!! It was absolutely wonderful!!!

Use his website to determine where to meet him. If it's at the TI, it's right across the street from Tivoli...very easy to locate.

Archived