Why no TA recommendations?

I am looking for a good Ta that will have nice perks and OBCs and is knowledgable, but my understanding is that people are not allowed to recommend their TA on this site. I understand that soliciting is not the point, but is there another reason for this? Is there another cruising site that I am allowed to ask for a good TA and can get a response? It seems that everyone I have called so far is not very knowledgable, and that I know more than they do by just reading RCIs site and lurking on these boards.

I am looking for a good Ta that will have nice perks and OBCs and is knowledgable, but my understanding is that people are not allowed to recommend their TA on this site. I understand that soliciting is not the point, but is there another reason for this? Is there another cruising site that I am allowed to ask for a good TA and can get a response? It seems that everyone I have called so far is not very knowledgable, and that I know more than they do by just reading RCIs site and lurking on these boards.

It sounds like you might be ready to become your own TA. ;)

That is why so many of us do not use one anymore. :D

I am very serious about that. It was not meant as a joke..

There are many good reasons including that everyone in the world including TA's would be recommending TA's. Also, remember that CC gets advertising revenue from travel agencies. Those advertisers might not advertise if everyone else was "advertising" for free.

It's a good policy.

daddymac...the guidelines here on CC don't allow for specific TA information to be shared. I don't know why, but thems the rules. ;)

If you had contact information, some would probably send you info via email, but I'm not sure that that's really ok either. There are other cruise forums that allow sharing this information, but I don't think I'm allowed to tell you who they are.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I have a good TA who is also a friend that I use, but I have booked direct and didn't notice any difference either way.

kitty

As other posters on this board have mentioned, discussions of TA names is considered advertising. Here is the full community guideline regarding travel agents:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Any requests for sharing a TA name will also be removed immediately, as will any posts that suggest a member be contacted for his/her TA name.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Thanks Karen for posting that.

I actually think its a good rule because could you imagine if it didn't exist? I know if I was a TA and there was a board that allowed those types of post...then I could just go there, create an alter ego and say "I have the best TA in the world who gets me all kinds of discounts and perks. And I wouldn't use anyone else."

Then of course, everyone would ask me who that TA was. And I would have to tell them. ;)

The whole board would be filled with TA's masquerading as happy customers. :p

Why is a TA name any different than a tour guide's name, ship recommendation, destination advice, etc.? It's all advertising where anyone with a vested interest could recommend said service. I'm not trying to start a war, just "clarifying" that the TA rule "logic" isn't logical when other things can be discussed on this board that could also be considered advertisments. Personally, I think it would be great to have a SEPARATE section relating to TAs. It wouldn't have to give names/agencies, but could list great tips on how to find a GREAT TA (i.e. questions to ask, what to look for, common perks, etc.). Just my opinion.

well i just booked straight through the cruise line. Every ta i spoke with was not offereing anything better than RCI direct, and most of the people I spoke with did not even know as much about the ship as I did. I did not see the benefit of a TA, so I just went straight to the source. My CVP was good sh1t anyway.

QTMichele, to answer a couple of your questions:

(1) There are guildelines regarding tour operator recommendations as well (you'll find them all under "Guidelines" at the top of each webpage);

(2) Members are free to discuss how to find a travel agent/agency or the pros and cons of booking through the cruiseline. All of the items you mention can be discussed on these forums. The problem comes in when people start asking to be e-mailed TA names, suggesting that other members e-mail for a TA recommendation, or mentioning TAs by name.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Members are free to discuss how to find a travel agent/agency or the pros and cons of booking through the cruiseline. All of the items you mention can be discussed on these forums. The problem comes in when people start asking to be e-mailed TA names, suggesting that other members e-mail for a TA recommendation, or mentioning TAs by name.

Karen,

Thanks so much for the clarification. I guess my point is that we can name names on tour guides we like/dislike, but can't for the TA's (the policies do not seem consistent). However, I do realize that this board could quickly become a massive advertisment for TAs and I would NOT want that!!! I am certainly not complaining as I love these boards and have found an incredible amount of information from the members.

I appreciate your comments!!!

I'm happy to help. Even if you were complaining, I prefer to attempt to answer questions rather than just leave you hanging. Of course, I need to know the answer myself before I jump back in!

I'm glad you continue to find these boards helpful. I know I still do.

Karen

Well I'll throw something out there. I love my TA, used her since the early 90's. But thanks to these boards I'm feeling pretty knowledgeable myself. I just made my final payment and sent my 900 bucks to RCI and 200 to her. RCi splits it like that now. I'm thinking to myself, other than me asking her to book my room for me, what has she done?

Nothing really.

But I never found her rates to be 200 more than what's online. They're usually the same price anyway. So what gives. What are the real advantages to booking direct from RCI?

Again I love my agent, she gives no freebies, but I love her. But I can't tell you who she is. lol

Wayne

Michele, you're welcome. And I agree, this website would be a mess.

BTW, love your avatar!

Karen

Karen, I love your avatar. We had 2 greyhounds who were siblings, but unfortunately lost our male about a month ago. Fortunately, we still have the female. They are great dogs!!! Sorry to get off topic.

Well I'll throw something out there. I love my TA, used her since the early 90's. But thanks to these boards I'm feeling pretty knowledgeable myself. I just made my final payment and sent my 900 bucks to RCI and 200 to her. RCi splits it like that now. I'm thinking to myself, other than me asking her to book my room for me, what has she done?

Nothing really.

But I never found her rates to be 200 more than what's online. They're usually the same price anyway. So what gives. What are the real advantages to booking direct from RCI?

Again I love my agent, she gives no freebies, but I love her. But I can't tell you who she is. lol

Wayne

Hi Wayne. I didn't know why I would want to use a TA either - I wasn't getting any perks, it took the control out of my hands and they didn't have a cabin I wanted. However, I just learned that I can earn a $200 ship board credit if I transfer my reservation from RCI to a TA! (I can still keep my current cabin, they still honor price drops, no fee - a win-win!) SO... although I'm still booked through RCI, I am tempted to transfer my reservation to a GREAT TA who will offer the same incentives as the on-line TAs that I have found.

Thanks, Tim. Sorry to hear of your loss. Are you thinking of adopting another? Spot recently went to live permanently with the couple who took care of him during our cruises, and I miss him a bunch even though I know he loves his new home and they love him (and he has another grey to hang out with). I just can't change my avatar yet. Maybe one day...

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic: We continue to use a TA because she saved us when we had to switch flights at the last minute before our last cruise and she consistently gives me some terrific advice. While her cabin fares are almost the same as RCCL's and Celebrity's and she doesn't always send us an onboard gift, we know we can count on her when we need her. She saved us money on an upcoming Las Vegas trip, and I rely on her for some information I simply don't have access to, despite all the stuff that's on the internet these days. I wouldn't travel without her, because I know if something went wrong, I have someone to call to help me out -- and the internet is useless at an airport when your flight's been delayed or cancelled.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using RCCL agents to book your cruise and there are some advantages to having access to your reservation at all times. However, when it comes to putting together an entire package (hotel, flights, cruise, etc.), I prefer to use an agent.

And no, I can't mention her name either. :)

Karen

Thanks, Tim. Sorry to hear of your loss. Are you thinking of adopting another? Spot recently went to live permanently with the couple who took care of him during our cruises, and I miss him a bunch even though I know he loves his new home and they love him (and he has another grey to hang out with). I just can't change my avatar yet. Maybe one day...

Karen

We are thinking about another, but not just yet. DW is still pretty heartbroken. We found out he died in the Phoenix airport on our way home from Puerto Vallarta. It was especially difficult because our 2 were literally brother and sister, together from birth. He was a huge, gorgeous blue fawn with golden eyes. If you've never seen one, he was quite a specimen.

BTW, back on topic, I always use a TA! ;)

daddymac, I understand your frustration, but it's possible that the person writing "I scored this killer deal" is actually a TA and not a cruiser. His/her purpose of posting on the boards would be to scare up some more business, not necessarily to offer a better deal to cruisers. That's why posts that include "I scored this killer deal" are removed. The person who wrote the message is obviously trying to get members to write for the name or post their e-mail addresses hoping to be sent the name. That's a no-no.

The best way to find a good TA is to ask other travelers. On your next cruise, ask your fellow CCers at the M&M or on a shared excursion for a recommendation. Just an idea.

Karen

I'm not positive about this, Bill, but I think that discussions about the TA used for CC group cruises is supposed to be discussed only on the group cruise board. No TAs are to be mentioned on the main boards, including CC advertisers. That's my understanding of the guidelines and that's what I follow when I monitor the boards.

Karen

Thanks for the info, Karen. I know that it happens on the Roll call boards but can't say that I have actually noticed it on this board. I don't even have a real problem with it on the roll call boards as long as there is full disclosure that a special arrangement exists between CC and the travel agency.:)

Archived