question regarding travel through Heathrow

bnbinsd

We are booked on the Star Princess and will be flying from Boston to Heathrow and on to Copenhagen. Do we go collect our bags and go through immigration at Heathrow, or do we wait until we get to Copenhagen? We are trying to figure out if we can take a carry-on into Heathrow or just our plastic bag. I know when we fly out of Heathrow we will only have our plastic bag. It should make for an interesting trip! I will wear something I like, since I may be wearing it for days! Thanks for any info from those of you who have already done the trip.

Betty

We are booked on the Star Princess and will be flying from Boston to Heathrow and on to Copenhagen. Do we go collect our bags and go through immigration at Heathrow, or do we wait until we get to Copenhagen? We are trying to figure out if we can take a carry-on into Heathrow or just our plastic bag. I know when we fly out of Heathrow we will only have our plastic bag. It should make for an interesting trip! I will wear something I like, since I may be wearing it for days! Thanks for any info from those of you who have already done the trip.

Betty

You should be able to check your bags through, but you may have to go through security when you change terminals and may be even immigration since you are travelling to another EU country.

The carry on rules at Hethrow are currently quite strict.

You will not have to collect your bags in the UK, they should be checked through. Confirm that with the originating airline. You WILL have to go through additional security screening and checks before you depart the UK and/or when you change terminals at Heathrow.

The best source for additional changes, which could happen daily, is the web site for your airline(s) and the UK Department of Transport:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_control/documents/homepage/dft_home_page.hcsp

Here are the current security restrictions in place in the UK as of today:

Disruption - tips for travellerstrnsp.gif

Summary For travel from the UK or USA

As a result of new security measures in place, you will not be able to carry anything onboard any flight departing any UK airport other than the items specified by the UK Department for Transport. The same restrictions apply to those customers travelling from the USA.

For travel into the UK (except flights departing the USA)

If your journey terminates when your flight lands in the UK you will be able to take hand baggage on board with you (except flights departing the US).

However, if you transfer through any UK airport you will not be able to carry any hand baggage onto your connecting flight. Please ensure that all items are packed in your hold baggage. If you need to take items such as your travel documents, wallet etc on to a flight you should carry them or put them into a clear plastic bag.

Travel to the USA

It is important that passengers travelling to the USA give us their Advance Passenger Information prior to arrival at the airport to avoid extra time spent queuing or checking-in. You can do this through Manage My Booking.

Betty

Here is another good source for information

http://*****.com/km5c8

We are booked on the Star Princess and will be flying from Boston to Heathrow and on to Copenhagen. Do we go collect our bags and go through immigration at Heathrow, or do we wait until we get to Copenhagen? We are trying to figure out if we can take a carry-on into Heathrow or just our plastic bag. I know when we fly out of Heathrow we will only have our plastic bag. It should make for an interesting trip! I will wear something I like, since I may be wearing it for days!
In normal circumstances, you would not collect your baggage at Heathrow. You would simply go through a security screening and go on to your onward flight, although the exact route depends on which airline(s) you're flying as that determines which terminals you'd use.

However, if you have cabin baggage that cannot be taken on the flight departing from Heathrow, you would then have to clear immigration and customs to check that in at the check-in counters. Although this should not in itself stop your other checked bags from being automatically transferred, so you wouldn't have to stop to pick them up, the time that this process takes may mean that you'd miss your onward flight - particularly if you have to change terminals but can't rely on the normal airside connections routes, and particularly given the long queues that there currently are for security clearance. So you may well find that your airline insists that you do not take cabin baggage on to your flight from Boston to London either, so that you can use the airside connections route and minimise your connection time.

Thanks for the posts. I'll keep checking the sites suggested. If nothing changes I'll just take my plastic bag and hope for the best. We have been unlucky getting our luggage more than once. I printed an itinerary to put in each bag---just in case. It sure would be nice to be able to bring a book on the long return flight, London to Los Angeles. Still looking forward to the cruise and trying to keep a positive attitude.

Betty

The threat level in the UK has been lowered from "critical" to "severe". As the peak of the danger appears to have passed, it seems that most cabin baggage will be allowed on board again, possibly from today (Monday 14 August).

More details will get posted on airlines' and airports' websites in due course, but it's the wee small hours here at present.

Edited to add: stace11 has found an official announcement - see this post.

Archived