Seward Highway- recs for pit stops along the way?

leighuf

I'm planning to rent a car in Seward after disembarking from the Radiance. I plan to first visit Exit Glacier & the Sea Life Center before heading to Anchorage. Any recommendations for pit stops/sightseeing stops along the way? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Buy a copy of the Milepost Book. It has every rock on the road marked.

There are many pull over stops, 2 rest stops with toilets, and a few places that have information signs.

By Portage is the game farm and Windy Point is famous for seeing Dall Sheep.

If you want ALL the information, get a MILEPOST and it'll give you point by point.

You'll want to do a cruise out of Seward to Kenai Fjords Natl. Park (a six hour one)...................there are cruises at Portage as well.

You might want to stop at Whittier/Portage.

You might want to check out Alyeska.

There's lots of hiking..............it's listed as one of the top ten hiways in the U.S. for scenery.........

I'll be on it in a few days!:)

As a piggy-back question...

My husband and I are going to drive out to the Wildlife Conservation Center via Seward Highway from Anchorage pre-cruise. If the weather is nice, we'd love to do a picnic. Any suggestions for places to stop to have our picnic? If you have any suggestions for delis, we'd love that too. Thanks in advance!

There's a little booklet that provides a mile-by-mile description of things of interest along the Seward Highway. It's tan, very plain looking. I think we picked it up for free at the Begich Boggs Visitor Center. Very helpful!

I'm planning to rent a car in Seward after disembarking from the Radiance. I plan to first visit Exit Glacier & the Sea Life Center before heading to Anchorage. Any recommendations for pit stops/sightseeing stops along the way? Any info is greatly appreciated.

1. Definitely do a 6hr (minimum) Kenai Fjords Cruise in Seward before leaving. This can be a highlight of your trip. You will most likely see whales, puffins, a glacier, sea lions and a hatchery.Any of the three companies that offers this cruise is excellent.

2. Stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation center. It is inexpensive and fun for everyone. All the animals there are rescued. You can drive thru and stop at each animal areas as you please. It is run by a non-profit organization.

3. Stop at the Boggs Begich visitor center at Portage. 4.5 miles down Portage road from the Seward Highway, right by the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. It is a wonderful place with many many interesting exhibits. (also there is a Salmon spawning area at Williway Creek right before the visitor center)

4. Stop at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood and take the tram to the top of Mt Alyeska and have lunch at the restaurant. Hike around if you have time.

5. Stop at any pullout and take pictures if it is a nice day.

6. Stop at Bird Creek and take a hike or watch for Brown Bears at the creek if the salmon are running.

Have fun.

Mike in Eagle River

Definately make the most of your time in Seward. Plenty of excellent opportunities with a Kenai Fjords boat tour a top pick over the Sealife Center and Exit Glacier in my opinion. There is a 8am tour that is done by 2pm, still leaving plenty of time for the Seward Highway drive.

There may be a couple picnic tables around, that I vaguely recall. :) But none that I can recall locations?? The Portage glacier visitor center, may have had some?? There also may be a table at some of the pull offs on the Arm. Bird Creek??

I thought it was pretty good. It is very similuar to the Milepost (from what my understanding of the Milepost is). Someone took the time to post it on a site - can't remeber now - that's why I saved it - figured I would never find it again. Glad you found it of interest.

Archived