QUICK QUESTION: Sapphire Princess specialty restaurants

IM Alaska bound

Can anyone confirm whether or not one has to pay the surcharge for the "specialty restaurants" on board. I thought only two had the $20 surcharge, my DH thinks they all do.

What's the deal?

Thanks!

Sorry, but what do you call a "specialty restaurants". If your talking about the four "themed" restaurants, no. Except for one dish that is the same for the entire cruise, the menu is the same as the main room.

If you mean Sterling and Sabatini's there is a sur-charge, don't know the current amout.

Sapphire and Diamond Princess are just a bit different from their close siblings the Grand class ships. The "anytime" dining restaurants are divided into four sections, each with a "theme." All four of the sections offer the complete dining room menu each evening, and as well they offer their "specialty" selections throughout the cruise. The specialties range from Five Spices Duck to Ossobucco alla Milanese. Each also has its own appetizers and accompaniments. It is really a lot of fun.

I think it has changed a bit -- when we were on Sapphire Sterling Steakhouse was one of the "anytime" restaurants and I think it is now an extra charge and there is a new themed anytime. But here are the menus from our last Sapphire cruise.

Anytime menus on Sapphire

The 4 anytime dining restaurants are free on the Sapphire. They all have the same menu plus they have one entree that is unique to that dining room that is an option. They used to have more options but no longer do. This is where the confusion comes from.

There are 2 speciality restaurants - Sterling Steakhouse and Sabitinis - these both cost an additional fee.

And for those of you (us in included)going the traditional dining route .. if you want one of the specialty dishes .. just let your waiter know a day ahead and you can get it. The osso bucco was so good I had it twice last time and and really looking forward to it again in Oct.

Archived