Buying wine in San Juan

BethKel

I don't want to lug wine on the plane from Chicago if possible, but also would like to get a couple of bottles cheaper than the onship prices. Are there places around in San Juan, preferably close to the pier, where we could get some wine and/or champagne?

Thanks!

Beth

Hi Beth;

Not sure about San Juan, but carrying a few bottles on board for room consumption is fine, we do it ourselves, but Princess wine prices in the dining room are quite reasonable for a nice restruant, so save the hassel and buy your wine from the ship, unless you have a favorite not available from Princess. If you can afford the cruise, you can afford Princess wine prices.

Fair winds
Dave

Beth - I'm told by lots of people that there's a shop right in the ship terminal building that sells wine, beer, soft drinks, etc. That's where we plan to pick up our supply for our cabin fridge. If you take your personal wine to the dining room, there will be a $10 corkage fee, which pretty well wipes out any savings you might make on the initial purchase. Hope you have a wonderful wedding. See you Sunday! Donia

Beth, we did this last year before sailing on Celebrity. In fact we boarded, got settled in our cabin and left the ship long enough to hit the duty free wine and liquor shop at the terminal. We purchased off brand wines for about $25 for either 4 or 6 bottles. All but one wine was very good. It sure is easier than lugging from home. We always stock up on liquor when returning via St Thomas. Every time we get home with our arms falling off due to all the weight and swear we will never do it again; everytime we do. Stupid seniors we are. LOL

nMNita

Thanks guys, this helps. I just want a couple of bottles for in-room consumption. Soon to be DH doesn't drink, but I may want a glass or two on the balcony. Plus stocking up on bottled water / pop here sounds like a good idea.

Do you know how late the terminal shop is open? Our flight doesn't get in until 7:50pm.

Can't wait!!!!

BLK

I am guessing the shop will be open until the ships are all ready to leave. Some will leave San Juan as early as 9pm, other 11pm. If you are pushed for time, which it sounds like you will be you had better grab the wine on your way to the ship, not go to your cabin first. Happy cruising and happy honeymoon.

NMNita

We found the terminal shop prices were good but the airport prices were better.

Hi Nita! How are you? We're off to Hawaii rt from LA 15 nights on the Island Princess Oct 6th!! We sailed on the Island in March/April 10 days partial transit of the Panama Canel. Wonderful ship!! Would love to cruise with you again. Chuck & I enjoy your e-mails!!!!

Arlene

Arlene, have a great trip! We are going, with 2 other couples in November on NCL. We were about to do a 10 day on Princess, but then we all got together and decided to go cheap, cheap! The one couple just married off their 4th daughter last weekend, we have already had a 3 week vacation driving the western US and have Pat's class reunion in Oct and as you know his campaign in November. It is costing more than a buck or two. WE will save the awesome vacation for next year. Did the second book get published yet? We enjoy your emails: will cruise again together one of these years. NMNita

• 2 weeks later...
HI,

we were just on the golden july 4th. The best, easiest, cheapest, and with a great selection of wine and champagnes is right at the pier in the duty free store. We bought Frezinet champagne for 5.95 a bottle. At home in Chicago - we would pay around 12.00 for the same

I'll reply to my own post on this, now that the trip is done!

Thanks to American Airlines being tardy, we didn't get to the ship terminal until about 9:20 (for an 11pm sailing) and the shops were closed up tight. So note that if you are getting in late, try to grab something at the airport.

But I did manage to find a wine / liquor store in St. Lucia, I think, and bought a nice bottle of Chilean red. It lasted me through several "pre-dinner chilling out on the balcony" glasses.

Good times!

Archived