Nail Refills Sapphire

kobecat

I had mine done on the Star a couple of years ago on a 25 day cruise. Not sure if they have a nail tech that does fills on shorter cruises. I know that on 12 day cruises before, they didn't have one.

The price was about double of what I pay here at home, if that helps.

We just sailed on the Tahitian Princess in July and I noticed they did fills on the ship. Since we were going to be sailing for 22 days, I knew my nails would not last. Well I ended up breaking 2 just before the second cruise started, so I made an appointment. The price was $40 for a fill and then she charged me $11 each for the two new nails she put on. So the total bill was almost $70, which is double what I spend at home.

The main problem this nice girl had is, they didn't have the right equpment for her to even do the nails right. All she had was toe nail clippers to try and clip off the older nail by the cuticle and nothing else. For the price they charge, they should equip the salon with the right equipment if they are going to offer the service. She did all right, but it definitly wasn't the best job. At least they lasted until I got home and that was what I wanted.

Truly, I don't think they offer fills on too many of the ships. I was surprised to even see it on this one, but it could have to do with the longer itineraries.

Hulagirl

Thanks for the info. We will be on the 29 day sailing from Sydney to LA in April 07 so I will have to set aside some shore time somewhere about half way along to do it. Only trouble with that is that half way is Fiji, Raratonga etc and I doubt very much they are into acrylic nails there!!

kobecat...I bet you would have better luck in Papeete. I have to give one warning here. I took a 28 night cruise (31 day vacation total) on Celebrity in 2002, and had someone from the ship's salon do a rebase about half way through. It was, as has been mentioned, VERY pricey! But worse, far worse, is that she didn't have the right equipment, the rebase never adhered to the nail bed, I didn't know it and continued to swim, and, well, you can imagine the problems that I discovered when I returned home to my usual nail tech. It took several months to clear THAT up.

The transpacific cruise is amazing (I've done it twice), and Papeete is probably your best bet on that route. You could also try to get it done in Sydney just before you board the ship (assuming you're going there early to tour), and then try to hold off till Honolulu, which would be about 3 weeks.

I've not worn acrylics since my husband bought me grand piano in 2003 (cheaper, he says, in the long haul than paying for nail upkeep), so I can't offer any more specifics about places and prices.

Thanks so much for the information. I am from Australia so will get mine done on the Saturday, fly to Sydney and embark on Tuesday. We have been to Tahiti and if the price of nail refills in Papeete is like the price of everything else, I may well forget the whole exercise! I think I will try and hold out until Hawaii but what a sad waste of time there to get your nails done!!

I took a look at your itinerary, and what a wonderful cruise you will have. We sailed on the Sapphire this past April and absolutely loved the ship. One of our best cruises. It will be a long time between Australia and Hawaii though. I would definitely check and see if they do them on the ship and ask if they have the right tools.

We were just in Roratonga and Bora Bora on our Tahiti cruises. If they had any nail places there I never saw any. Actually, there just isn't a lot at either of these stops for services. Some shopping, but that seemed about it. Yes, Papeete is definitely a large place, and I would think there must be a place there, but I didn't see one either. But that doesn't mean there isn't.

Good luck with it. As much as I love having nice looking nails, they can definitely be a pain when it comes to these long trips.

Have a wonderful cruise next year. It looks fantastic.

Hulagirl

Archived