Dinner Dining Options on the Maasdam

marienbad

We are sailing on the Maasdam next week, and ar waitlisted for early dining. If we do not get it, we will need to have dinner elsewhere. We know about the Pinnacle Grill, but are there other dining options or a decent dinner such as a grill on the Maasdam. If so, has anyone dined there? What dinner selections do they have? Any info would be appreciated.

Sailed the Maasdam in April. We ate in the Lido many times for dinner. HAL's main food line in the Lido for all meals is not buffet, it is cafeteria style, except for the breads, salads, appetizers, & desserts (ice cream is served).

At dinner, one takes a tray, goes down the line buffet style for the items mentioned above, up to a staff member standing in front of the entree/side dishes area. The staff member takes one's order, gives a number on a holder to be placed on one's table (so the server can find the diner). The entree/side dishes are then delivered to one's table. At the spot where one orders, there is a display of all entrees w/side dishes, which is nice for giving one an idea of what the meal actually looks like. The entrees at the Lido dinner are the same as the one's in the dining room. However, not all dining room entrees are at the Lido dinner, such as crab legs, lobster, prime rib, & others I don't remember them all. The tables have white table cloths. Dress is casual, even on formal nights. Some wear resort casual, some jeans, some shorts, etc.

Additionally, if one calls room service during the first half hour of the dining room opening for the first seating, one can order anything from the dining room menu to be delivered at any time, & as many of anything as one would want. This is also free; we tip the room service person depending on # of trays, weight, etc. - couple bucks for lite breakfast; $5 or more for dinner; some folks don't tip. The room service delivery person also receives a little money from the autotip. To find out what is on the dining room menu, one must go outside the dining room & write it down for later (except suite folks get a menu delivered to their suite).

Hope this helps & I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

Hi All :)

The DH wants to avoid formal dress at all costs.

Is it possible to avoid formal attire for him on Formal nites if we dine in the Lido on those nites, alternatively, as suggested above I suppose if we do n ot leave the cabin - it is not necessarry for him to dress formal - am I correct on this assumption ? Is a polo shirt with slacks acceptable in Lido for dining? From what I've read he might be missing a nice lobster though if he bypasses the Formal Nite in the main restaurants - yes? We did already make advance res. @ The Pinnacle Grill though and have printed off the menu some kind CC member soul added to the board - thanks for that .

Sorry this is not meant to be offensive or to pass any judgements on folks who do enjoy dressing up on formal nites - its just that my DH is not one who likes it.:rolleyes:

In advance - thanks to all.:) This info will asist me tremendously in planning the packing. Looking forward to our 1st HAL cruise, Maasdam SEPT. 30th Boston/Montreal.:) Less than 7 weeks to go and counting....

Thanks for the kind responses; glad the info was a help.

JunPOA - DH & I have not packed formal or informal (suit jacket) clothes for the last several cruises on HAL. As your DH, we also choose to avoid dressing formal - we prefer "relaxed" while traveling. On the outside decks, on the Lido deck, & in the Lido restaurant on formal night, one can wear shorts, jeans, tshirts, resort casual, formal! However, yes, HAL requests staying out of the public areas on formal night unless one is formally attired - some folks observe this request, some don't. Those who do not, are not prevented from going anywhere, however, they may get some unappreciative stares from "formal" folks - other formal folks don't care what others wear.

The Pinnacle requires formal attire on formal night & informal attire on informal night (suit coat for men).

If your DH wants lobster but does not want to go formal, order room service! That's what we do. Dining on lobster in our cabin in front of the TV is the ultimate TV dinner! ;) :D As posted before, one must call for room service from the dinner menu during the first half hour of the dining room opening for the first seating. Any time can be selected for delivery however - within the dining room time frame, that is.

Have a great cruise. Hope you enjoy HAL. The crew on the Maasdam is the friendliest we have ever encountered on any ship. The Lido guys are a riot if you joke with them & open them up! Have fun.

JunPOA - DH & I have not packed formal or informal (suit jacket) clothes for the last several cruises on HAL. As your DH, we also choose to avoid dressing formal - we prefer "relaxed" while traveling. On the outside decks, on the Lido deck, & in the Lido restaurant on formal night, one can wear shorts, jeans, tshirts, resort casual, formal!

Just curious - doesn't the HAL dress code state that jeans, shorts & tee shirts are not to be worn in the Lido dining room during evening meal?

Archived