O.K. Gals, How Are You Dealing with New Regs

gxchan

The new regs re carry-on are going to be difficult (I understand and accept the reasons, so please don't flame me about safety issues) and am wondering what other women are going to do. For example, I can't imagine flying without bottled water, toothpaste and lipstick and there is the horror of having my checked luggage go astray with all my toiletries. To solve the luggage going astray issue I'm going to ship my toiletries to my hotel (I arrive a couple days before the ship sails) and will ship them back home, along with soiled laundry, gifts, etc. from Charleston where I'll be spending a few days after the cruise. So, what to do about the water, lipstick and toothpaste. (I ran into a guy looking for powdered toothpaste, which sounds like a good idea.) What are you going to do?

Thanks,

You could bring an empty water bottle on board and ask the flight attendant to fill it up for you. I always do that on long flights overseas, and they never mind. In fact, they like doing it, because that way I don't have to disturb them too often.

As to the toothpaste and lipstick, I don't know. Maybe the flight attendants are going to have to start toiletries during the flight now to increase the airline revenues.;)

..your cats look cute!

One can buy preloaded toothbrushes...at outdoor stores..such as BassPro.

Actually, your own toothbrush is never totally cleaned out. I often will take my dry toothbrush and quickly give my teeth a 'tune-up' in the middle of the day...just wet the brush and use the remnants of toothpaste from the morning brush. Are we allowed to take out toothbrushes on board?

For lipstick....I guess there is nothing we can do...no chapstick either.

Or, what about flat lipstick.....sometimes one can buy an eyeshadow, lipstick, blush combo in a flat package that flips up.....would that be allowed? Is it the tube that is banned or the lipstick?

That is a good idea about the empty water bottle....will be doing that!

I hope the airlines step up to the plate and treat their customers with some compassion in consideration of all these new, but hopefully temporary, rules.

Or, what about flat lipstick.....sometimes one can buy an eyeshadow, lipstick, blush combo in a flat package that flips up.....would that be allowed? Is it the tube that is banned or the lipstick?

It's the lipstick itself that is banned - because it is a cream base (or a gel base, or a gloss base depending on your lipstick).

Thanks for the replies. I LOVE the empty water bottle idea; the last time I flew I left my water bottle in the boarding area and was miserable--airline only provided two small glasses of water during the entire flight! And the toothbrush idea is a great, as well. I guess no lipstick and I realized this morning hand sanitizer is out, as well. Darn! Oh well, the flights themselves are only a small part of vacation, I'll get over it.

For now, the lipstick rules have been changed for domestic flights. You may bring "hard" lipstick which is regular lipstick in tubes, but still no palate lip color and no lip gloss. You could also bring lip pencils or liners which are still legal. I will bring my small travel toothbrush and some of those Listerine meltable breath squares---I think they call them pocket paks. Just plop one of those on the brush and it can act just like toothpaste, in a pinch.

At least it will freshen the breath.

What's going to get me is no books, magazines or iPod on my flights to and from the UK. That's going to be boring.

No books or magazines will be really boring before getting on the airplane..that's how I usually occupy myself waiting to board. We don't have a super large airport but still have to arrive 2 hours early for international flights..then I'm through all the security etc. in about 20 minutes...so what to do for the next 100 minutes. Guess I could bring mags from home and leave them at the airport.

Glad we can bring hard lipstick.

I agree, gxchan, the flight is a small part...so I guess we just buck up and get through it.

Be nice if they showed movies just to keep our attention for a while, though. :D

Kitty 9 and LadySail 2, the books/magazines ban is new to me. Thanks for the heads up. I've read you can still take an MP3 or iPod, so musics or downloaded books seem like the only answer.

At least we can take our tweezers again! ;-))

This is the first I've heard of these items being forbidden. What is the rationale???? And is that only for overseas flights or domestic flights also? I can't believe that will last long.

This was just a requirement for flights from or through the UK. I think I read somewhere that they are allowed again at this time.

At least we can take our tweezers again! ;-))

..and knitting needles....which seems sort of strange...no books...but knitting needles. There must be a logical explanation for all of this!! I guess it's a matter of remaining calm and not overreacting to an everchanging world. Go with the flow as they say. :D

Three Cats...I'm glad to read that books are allowed again.

As far as the toothpaste . . . How about applying one serving of toothpaste to your brush, and then covering your bristles with one of the bright colored plastic toothbrush covers? (available at your local Walmart store in packs of 6 for only $1-2) I can't see any harm in this, and boubt they could keep you from flying with it.

These are also great to carry your toothbrush in your purse when you get back home;-)

Archived