Is it safe? Alexandra to Dubai Nov 4, 06

Oceanbabyblue

We took our first Seabourn Transatlantic cruise in April & was wonderful!! We loved it!!

Now, we're seriously considering taking the Alexandra to Dubai cruise on November 4, 06, however because of the situation happening in Israel & Lebanon, we're not quite sure. As we haven't been to Egypt & Dubai, we have been dreaming to take this cruise, but wonder how safe it is to take it now?? :confused:

Any insight & opinion is very welcomed & appreciated!

Hi Oceanbabyblue

The middle east has a problem with reputation, largely because people doent appreciate the size of the area or that each country has its own unique culture and "issues". While, in these troubled days, no area can be regarded as totally safe, i dont see any thing that would make Egypt or Dubai to be regarded as any less safe than London or New York at the moment.

In fact, i personnaly worry more about visiting central London at the moment, than i would about visiting Dubai!!

Both are very popular destinations for holidays for people from Europe, and will continue to be so in the future. Go on your cruise and have a wonderful time exploring these amazing places

I agree with Verystormy. I have not been to Egypt (yet) but have recently holidayed in Dubai. I did not detect any hostility towards westerners - in fact, the locals were extremely helpful and friendly. (More than in some western cities).

Dubai is currently undergoing massive regeneration with a view to attracting both business and tourism. They realise that their oil supply is finite and attracting external investment and spending is the lifeline they need. Despite 9/11 and the subsequent reduction in tourist numbers, they continued to invest in the building of apartments, hotels and offices. It was a strategy that paid off because the visitor levels did pick up again.

I would certainly return and I would recommend Dubai to anybody as a very clean, modern, city. Enjoy!

DaveD

All of this comes down to a personal decision. While some might say that it tends to error on the cautious side, you might want to read about each of the areas on the US Department of State Web Site at http://www.state.gov

Cick at the top of the web site on Travel and Business and then click on the left side on Travel Warnings and then finally click on Consular Information Sheets and then you can look up each of the countries you are visiting.

In the end, all of this comes down to a personal decision, but it is good to consider the warnings so that you can take certain precautions.

We are going on a cruise early next year that includes the locations that you visited and as we make our decisions as to what tours we plan to do and where we will travel in port, we will take this information into account. Just like when you visit a city in the United States it's a good idea to read up about the city and to do the proper research so that you know where and where not to go.

Keith

Archived