reasonable priced hotels in London

papa4330

Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced hotel in London we will be there for 3 days after our transatlantic cruise aboard the Constellation in April 2007

Do a serach on the Britan board as there is a lot of info there on hotels..link to foloow as well as a link to check out hotels on Venere.

Cruise Critic Message Boards - Britain

Hotel reservations - Venere.com

Rhodes Hotel is easonably priced and gets pretty good reviews on tripadvisor. Never stayed there, but was considering it for our cruise next June. We're staying at the Rubens.....got a good price on aboutrooms.com.

I just did a HUUUUUUUGE amount of research last weekend looking for reasonably priced hotels in the Victoria Station area of London. This is where the National Express bus ends up from Heathrow, and we're taking it again to Southampton for our Millenium cruise.

I'm going to digress a little before I tell you the hotels I found in the Victoria area:

We were in London last October and stayed at the Central Park Hotel very close to Hyde Park. It was a small room, clean, and adequate. That's what a lot of the lower priced hotels are like in London, because London hotels are expensive. We got the Central Park included in our British Airways airfare for free. They run a 2 night special inclusive with air every several months, just in case you haven't booked air yet.

So, the two hotels I found in the Victoria Station area are the Victor and Huttons, with Huttons being less expensive.

Every hotel I found on Venere, Hotelclub, and all the UK hotel booking web sites, I would go to Tripadvisor.com and check the reviews. I must have checked 24 hotels, and most of the reviews for the less expensive hotels were "run away; bring bug spray; horrible experience", except these two. They got pretty consistent good reviews.

They are right next door from each other: 51 - 57 Belgrave Road, which is about 2 blocks from the Victoria bus and tube stations. They run around $105 - $130 a night, including tax and breakfast.

Rooms in the mid-to-low priced hotels in London (more like B&B's actually) are small and so are the bathrooms. If you want more comfort, then Venere.com is a good site for more expensive hotels at a decent price. Just be sure to check Tripadvisor.com for the reviews.

I just did a HUUUUUUUGE amount of research last weekend looking for reasonably priced hotels in the Victoria Station area of London. This is where the National Express bus ends up from Heathrow, and we're taking it again to Southampton for our Millenium cruise.

I'm going to digress a little before I tell you the hotels I found in the Victoria area:

We were in London last October and stayed at the Central Park Hotel very close to Hyde Park. It was a small room, clean, and adequate. That's what a lot of the lower priced hotels are like in London, because London hotels are expensive. We got the Central Park included in our British Airways airfare for free. They run a 2 night special inclusive with air every several months, just in case you haven't booked air yet.

So, the two hotels I found in the Victoria Station area are the Victor and Huttons, with Huttons being less expensive.

Every hotel I found on Venere, Hotelclub, and all the UK hotel booking web sites, I would go to Tripadvisor.com and check the reviews. I must have checked 24 hotels, and most of the reviews for the less expensive hotels were "run away; bring bug spray; horrible experience", except these two. They got pretty consistent good reviews.

They are right next door from each other: 51 - 57 Belgrave Road, which is about 2 blocks from the Victoria bus and tube stations. They run around $105 - $130 a night, including tax and breakfast.

Rooms in the mid-to-low priced hotels in London (more like B&B's actually) are small and so are the bathrooms. If you want more comfort, then Venere.com is a good site for more expensive hotels at a decent price. Just be sure to check Tripadvisor.com for the reviews.

Right now the pound is pretty high- 90 pounds is equial to $170.

Unless staying with friends (always the cheapest option, if not the least complicated:)), I invariably gravitate toward hotels in Bloomsbury when I'm spending a few days in London.

If you are not looking for anything too fancy, you might want to check out the cluster of a half-dozen or so places along Gower Street, a short walk from the British Museum. (These include Arran House; Rougemont Hotel; Regency House; Arofsa; the Garth Hotel.) I don't make any extravagant claims for these places; they are converted townhouses of some minor historical interest. Don't expect luxury: The rooms are tiny, but the places seem to be well maintained. IMHO, Bloomsbury is a far more pleasant and interesting area than Victoria, Paddington, or Earls Court.

(NB: Always ask for a room at the back. The rooms facing the street can be quite noisy because of the street traffic on Gower Street; the rooms at the back all face a pleasant, quiet garden.)

I notice that several people on this board have stayed, or have made reservations for, the Reubens Hotel (now styling itself as The Reubens At The Palace!) I had the pleasure of staying there for a few nights in 1979, when, if memory serves, I paid the paltry sum of 16 pounds a night! For someone on a student budget at the time, that was a splurge. (There were places in London where you could stay for about 6 pounds a night--and they weren't flop houses but decent budget hotels!) I'm glad I took advantage of the prices when I did.:)

Cheers,

John

A "P.S." to my previous post. I don't think anyone has mentioned the Smoothound website. I've found it amazingly helpful in finding a place to stay anywhere in the UK, including London. Here's the URL for their listing of accommodation in Central London:

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/london-central.html

As others have already suggested, Tripadvisor is also tremendously useful, especially for the reviews posted there.

Cheers,

John

High end for a double en suite is running at 80 pounds but I'd e-mail them direct and see if you may be able to shave a bit off of that.

Reviews are, of course, very subjective. Believe me, I'll spend weeks on end researching the "most bang for my buck". Some of my favorite hotels I've read the reviews and just cringed. It kind of reminds me when you come back from a cruise and post on CC that you've had the time of your life only for another poster to claim what a dreadful experience they had. I think really. it's just doing the research and knowing a bit of what to expect.

The rooms are small and the bathroom tiny but being a B&B the rate does include a full English breakfast. They have recently refurbished the hotel and it is on a nice quite street in a very safe neighborhood. (Winston Churchill's childhood home is a few doors down.) That being said, I wonder how many negative posters simply did not like the fact that the proprietors are Indian. (Not a concern with me and I found the staff to be really nice and very helpful.) Like I said, just nice to know in advance what to expect. I still think it's a great value for the money. (BTW, we had a family room for 4 with a FULL bath in a sunroom portion. Lovely for that area! My sister had a double that was on the ground floor and very quiet and nicely decorated. (Ask me about the "pod" we stayed at in NYC...so small they don't even dare call it a room...but once again, "location, location, location" that's what you're looking for in the Great cities of the World. :D

A few reviews on the hotel:

"Your place was spotless.I really appreciated the level of cleanliness.You made us feel at home. Thanks" Ann Faulkner (05 October 2002) red-arr.gif"Even though the hotel, like many others in central London, is old, we found the standard of cleanliness to be of the highest standard. It was refereshing to be welcomed in such a friendly manner-we appreciated it."

Derek & Terry McCann (02 November 2002) red-arr.gif"The rates were the best and the standard of the hotel (cleanliness, amenities, and staff) were superb. Booking on the net made life so much easier....Our booking for 15 people was handled very efficiently"

Christine Carmichael (11 November 2002) "Your place was spotless.I really appreciated the level of cleanliness.You made us feel at home. Thanks" Ann Faulkner (05 October 2002) red-arr.gif"Even though the hotel, like many others in central London, is old, we found the standard of cleanliness to be of the highest standard. It was refereshing to be welcomed in such a friendly manner-we appreciated it."

Derek & Terry McCann (02 November 2002) red-arr.gif"The rates were the best and the standard of the hotel (cleanliness, amenities, and staff) were superb. Booking on the net made life so much easier....Our booking for 15 people was handled very efficiently"

Christine Carmichael (11 November 2002)

We aren't terribly picky as long as it's clean and we can sleep. The Central Park near Hyde Park last year was medium, but adequate for us. We liked the neighborhood.

I found the Tripadvisor reviews to be pretty close to what we found.

This time around we have to stay near Victoria station. So, that's why I spent so much time researching.

try "the hoxton"-new hotel had rooms for 29.00 GBP.earlier in the week,but now asking 58.00GBP.double or twin with ensuite and breakfast.i think they are located near the tower.

that would run around $100 a night then. I consider that reasonable.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I stayed at the London Bridge Hotel 3 nights pre-cruise. The bill was $360.00. It included a nice breakfast. We loved this little hotel so much we will stay there again. The room was small by American standards, but we had a wonderful kingsize bed and a large bathroom. The air conditioning was great. I think this hotel is mostly for business travelers. I think it is in the financial district. If you do not ride the tube, then you need to stay somewhere else. We got a 3 day tube pass and just used the tube to get to the places we needed to go.

Have fun

Archived