? On where to stay in Moorea

gulllake

One of my ports on SS 2003 was Moorea - we also visited Bora Bora, Papaete Tahiti, Huahine, and Raiatea - and Moorea was the most beautiful of a very beautiful group of islands. I enjoyed the dolphin cruise with a marine biologist who studies them in the wild; I recommend that. As for places to stay... I can't answer your original question. I can only say that I would love to stay in Moorea longer than a day. These aren't "sight-seeing" type islands though, there aren't tons of things "to do."

They are resting, nature, beauty type islands... and it reminds me of a story told by a snorkeling guide in Huahine (the smallest of the islands we visited.) She was comparing and contrasting her island with the US, where she had lived for six months. She said that she was often asked, "what is there to do in Hiahine?" Her response - eating and socializing with friends, working, playing, church, preparing and eating meals, enjoying the days and nights. However the Americans who visited the island could not understand this.

She said that a stranger to the island would go around it once, then go around it twice, and then complain there was nothing to do. I don't think I'm explaining this story very well, but I've thought of that comment often. I am one of those people who would have a hard time filling my time after circling that island twice - and that is why it would probably be a good time for me to spend more time there then less. And it was such a good example of how we are all products of our upbringing.

I agree with Seas, although I'm the kind of person who loves that kind of relaxed pace. That being said, Moorea is large enough to find places to poke around, beaches to explore, reefs to snorkel, local bars and restaurants to try out, let alone shopping opportunities--it's also a great place to get a tattoo! I have never stayed there, just have visited 4 times on cruises. But I can completely imagine staying there for a week. As for Huahine, it's on my list for the future.

You might try over at http://www.tahiti-explorer.com for info on hotels--there was a really good thread going not long ago comparing the major resort hotels.

Archived