Question about shipboard account

ciska40

Hi,

I have read on the site of the Holland america line that they reserve an amount of 60 dollars per person on your credit card. Now I am wondering can you still settle your account with cash on the end of the cruise. I have cruised several times with the HAL and always payed cash at the end of the cruise. Have they changed that or can you still do that.

Thanks

ciska

Both Jim and Fran are correct. You can secure your account with a credit card, but then settle in cash if you prefer. Or, you can secure your account with a cash deposit and settle in cash. In actuality, you don't HAVE to deposit an amount equal to the daily pre-authorization amount ... though that is what is recommended. If you think you'll spend less, and wish to deposit less, just tell them that this is what you're doing and they WILL contact you if it looks like you're about to run out of cash security on your shipboard account. But, make sure that you let the front desk know what you're doing.

Hi,

I have read on the site of the Holland america line that they reserve an amount of 60 dollars per person on your credit card. Now I am wondering can you still settle your account with cash on the end of the cruise. I have cruised several times with the HAL and always payed cash at the end of the cruise. Have they changed that or can you still do that.

Thanks

ciska

My DH and I plan on making out deposit with Traveler's Checks. It's $60 pp/day. So on our 11 Night we will deposit $1440 (12 days). This deposit will be cash, and I'm sure if we get close to our limit, we will be able to add more. If we don't spend it all, we get a refund (how awesome would that be? Getting money BACK at the end of your trip). N-E-Ways, this is how we are doing it.

Hope I helped :)

On my Zuiderdam Alaska July 8-15 cruise I paid my shipboard account in cash. I only put down $50 cash when I boarded and paid the remainder on the last day (morning we got off). If you put down cash at the beginning and don't use it all, you won't get the remainder of the cash back until the morning that you disembark. They will not give it to you any sooner. It was a pain, as we had to stand in line at 6:00 a.m. for a miesly $7.14 to be returned to us.

I agree with Bases5. You only spent $42? How is that possible? Do you not buy pictures or drinks at all?

I thought we did good at $80 pp. We did buy two drinks and I think four of the pictures that were taken, and a thimble at the gift shop.:D

My DH and I plan on making out deposit with Traveler's Checks. It's $60 pp/day. So on our 11 Night we will deposit $1440 (12 days). This deposit will be cash, and I'm sure if we get close to our limit, we will be able to add more. If we don't spend it all, we get a refund (how awesome would that be? Getting money BACK at the end of your trip). N-E-Ways, this is how we are doing it.

Mary, we do ours the same way. Usually starting out with a set amount we think we will spend and deposit that using Travelers Cheques. Greg is correct though, you don't have to put down the 60 pp/pd if you don't think you will speend that much. We generally get money back when it is all said and done and NEVER get charged anything after the fact (in some rare instances, members have complained of things of this nature. Best practice, check your credit card bill closely to see if it jives with your ship's reciepts if paying by your card)

We generally get money back when it is all said and done and NEVER get charged anything after the fact (in some rare instances, members have complained of things of this nature. Best practice, check your credit card bill closely to see if it jives with your ship's reciepts if paying by your card)

That's EXACTLY why we wont be using our Debit Cards at ALL on this trip. We don't use credit cards (as I am racking up enough debt just in student loans :rolleyes: ). There wont be a way to charge us for anything we didn't actually use....plus we aren't in a rush to get off the ship at the end because we will be spending 2 days in NY after.

I did have a question, though. According to my TA and some other places, our cruise is being advertised as an 11 NIGHT cruise - meaning 12 days. I have also seen it advertised as an 11 DAY cruise - even though we will be on board 11 nights too. Sooooo....do I plan $60 pp/day for 11 or 12 days? So far, I've budgeted for 12, but I just wanted to make sure :o

That's EXACTLY why we wont be using our Debit Cards at ALL on this trip. We don't use credit cards (as I am racking up enough debt just in student loans :rolleyes: ). There wont be a way to charge us for anything we didn't actually use....plus we aren't in a rush to get off the ship at the end because we will be spending 2 days in NY after.

I did have a question, though. According to my TA and some other places, our cruise is being advertised as an 11 NIGHT cruise - meaning 12 days. I have also seen it advertised as an 11 DAY cruise - even though we will be on board 11 nights too. Sooooo....do I plan $60 pp/day for 11 or 12 days? So far, I've budgeted for 12, but I just wanted to make sure :o

You should be fine if you planned for 12 days.

I'm glad you brought this up because I've been meaning to talk to you about this.

You're on an 11-day cruise---not 12. You're on an 11-night cruise.

Day one is the day you board; night one is that night. Time passes. Day eleven is the day you're saying good-bye, packing, and generally working hard to hold back the tears; night eleven is that night. (You can tell because your luggage is in the hall.)

The next day---the day they drag you kicking and screaming off the ship---doesn't have a number for you. It's day one for some other lucky passenger who is about to trespass in your cabin!

Got it? :)

I'm glad you brought this up because I've been meaning to talk to you about this.

You're on an 11-day cruise---not 12. You're on an 11-night cruise.

Day one is the day you board; night one is that night. Time passes. Day eleven is the day you're saying good-bye, packing, and generally working hard to hold back the tears; night eleven is that night. (You can tell because your luggage is in the hall.)

The next day---the day they drag you kicking and screaming off the ship---doesn't have a number for you. It's day one for some other lucky passenger who is about to trespass in your cabin!

Got it? :)

Thank you...that's what I THOUGHT I just didn't want to "bet" on it :D

So, since I just saved you $120, I'll let you buy me some chocolate ice cream when I see you! :D

(kidding, Mary. just kidding.)

LOL, I was thinking about chocolate covered macadamia nuts? Or chocolate covered dried pineapple....your pick :D

On my Zuiderdam Alaska July 8-15 cruise I paid my shipboard account in cash. I only put down $50 cash when I boarded and paid the remainder on the last day (morning we got off). If you put down cash at the beginning and don't use it all, you won't get the remainder of the cash back until the morning that you disembark. They will not give it to you any sooner. It was a pain, as we had to stand in line at 6:00 a.m. for a miesly $7.14 to be returned to us.

Well done, Cruisequeen! I find that umbrella drinks, shop purchases, and gambling add nothing to my cruise experience. I will take my own pictures, thank you.

Will your refund be in Travelers Cheques or cash? I can't see HAL issuing new travellers cheques to you, and presumably you bought TC's to avoid carrying cash around.

Consider giving them five days worth and see how your spending goes. Then you can top up your account as necessary.

Personally we have never spent more than about $50 day between the two of us. Far less if you prepay shore excursions.

Have a good time.

Bodger

What about your tips? I'm guessing you had them removed because that would have been $70pp.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem with using a credit card unless you don't have one. It all works out in the end. There is no way I would be standing in line at 6am morning for anything if I didn't have to.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem with using a credit card unless you don't have one. It all works out in the end. There is no way I would be standing in line at 6am morning for anything if I didn't have to.

Firstly, I have several credit cards, but in my past I have a history of having been irresponsible with my credit. It has taken me a LONG time to get those balances paid off, etc., and I simply REFUSE To allow temptation to get me back into that kind of situation again. Hence, I CONTROL my expenses by limiting them in this manner.

Secondly, due to my history while I have several credit cards, NONE of them has sufficient credit limits (or sufficient per-day charging limits) to pass the "pre-authorization test" for a "longish" cruise. For example, to protect myself none of my cards allow more than $1000 per day to be charged to them. $60 pp/pd x 21 days = $1260. In short: I can't pass the pre-authorization for a lengthy cruise. Hence, I have to make other arrangements.

Thirdly, I make a point of going to the front desk BEFORE they start calling people -- often as early as 5:30 am. I've never had to stand in a line longer than 5 minutes. Indeed ... often, not even that. On the Noordam this March I walked right up to the desk and finalized my account with them ... there was no line. Of course, it helped that I went to the desk after watching our approach to the pier.

Will your refund be in Travelers Cheques or cash? I can't see HAL issuing new travellers cheques to you, and presumably you bought TC's to avoid carrying cash around.

Consider giving them five days worth and see how your spending goes. Then you can top up your account as necessary.

Personally we have never spent more than about $50 day between the two of us. Far less if you prepay shore excursions.

Have a good time.

Bodger

Yep, that amount I have posted is $50 to spend per day + 10 per day for the auto tip. That's $60 pp/day. I do not think we will be getting THAT much in a refund (if any). We both would like to have masages and I would like to have my hair done for at least one formal night. We might also indulge in the hydro pool...even though I don't really know what it is. There is a LOT of spending one can do with 4 sea days :D Not to mention $25 for a bag of laundry. :eek:

I am not sure just how to say this. When we were on the Maassam in April (post drydock) I used my debit card. I was curious as to what kind of hold they put on it, so I checked my account every day for the entire cruise (16 days)

NOT once was there EVER a hold or charge to my debit card until the cruise was over.

I always have way more than enough in my account to cover things like that, but nothing was charged until it was all over.

I asked a friend that is an officer of my bank and he said what "usually" happens is that they run an approval of a certain amount (the infamous $60.00 a day) and if it goes through, then you are set to go. this is not a hold or a charge YET, which is why, he said, that people sometimes get confused. I guess I believe that, but would not hold my breath as, sure as "She" made little green apples, the next time it will be different.

Happy Sailing, charging, drinking, shopping,body pounding, cutting and shining

Ed

Archived