Inconsistent age restriction on excursions

Cruising on FOS late August. Have two sons, ages 13 and 11, and would like to take the canopy excursion in Jamaica. The RC web site states the age restriction is 12 and therefore cannot book. In looking at the Chukka web site, it has the age restriction as 10, and I have seen other posts that state the Carnival's age restriction is 10. The 11 year old is 95+ pounds so weight would not be a concern. Has anyone had to address this situation with RC in the past? What are my odds of being successful once on board? From other posts, it sounds as if it is difficult to arrange outside the cruise as they are mostly reserved by the various ships. I would appreciate any insight others could offer. Thanks -

It was 18 when we originally booked the Freedom. I think it has to do with the risk Royal is willing to take on so thus a different age then the tour company. We were excited to see the age drop to 12 as that's our daughters age. She isn't 95 pounds though, is there a minimum weight I don't know about? The younger ones also may complain about walking so far or hold things up because they are scared. The description explains you should be able to walk 30 minutes uphill and up steps. Just a thought. Please fill me in on the 95 pound comment.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I'd call Royal and point that out but I would expect that they will tell you to talk to them onboard.

I called them about a bike trip where the kids had to be 10. We are avid bike riders and I explained that my son is experianced in trail riding and the fact that he would be 10 soon. That didn't matter they would not flex.

My problem is that you can't really wait until you get onboard because you need to know what to plan for. I'm not going to do a wait and see.

Unfortunately, RC stated that we might have to deal with this onboard, but it does make it difficult in attempting to plan the activities. Maybe we will call again and get another agent that has a different perspective. I would still be interested if others have been successful on board.

Relative to the weight, there are no minimums, albeit some of the posts in other areas talk to kids weighing 65 lbs or so not quite having enough momentum to get down all the traverses without a little help (aka push from a guide). Not a big deal, but that is what I have read. I have seen that the maximum weights are in the neighborhood of 250 lbs or so for what it is worth.

Unfortunately, RC stated that we might have to deal with this onboard, but it does make it difficult in attempting to plan the activities. Maybe we will call again and get another agent that has a different perspective. I would still be interested if others have been successful on board.

Relative to the weight, there are no minimums, albeit some of the posts in other areas talk to kids weighing 65 lbs or so not quite having enough momentum to get down all the traverses without a little help (aka push from a guide). Not a big deal, but that is what I have read. I have seen that the maximum weights are in the neighborhood of 250 lbs or so for what it is worth.

Why not book the tour direct, save some money and be sure your 10 year old will be able to participate

Great idea on booking w/ the tour company direct.

We've done this for all our excursion for our trip-in 2 cases- the age limits were less from the company than w/RC.

DS 8yo wanted to deep sea fish-couldnt w/ RC- and tour boat has no age. I even talked to the tour company about the age specifically.

No problem mon!

I wouldn't count on too much help while onboard. If I was the Shore Excursion Manager and the company's risk analysis staff and the company's lawyers have told me that there's minimum age requirement for certain excursions I wouldn't risk my job to break the rules.

Why not book the tour direct, save some money and be sure your 10 year old will be able to participate
I know in Cozumel at Chankannaab when we did the dolphin encounter it was cheaper and the age requirement was different too booking direct. Some operators (and I believe this is one) will not let you book outside the cruise ship. I know it's a bummer, we have been waiting for this for a few year so our daughter could join us. When I saw 12 I jumped up and down and booked on the spot knowing on our other cruises it was much older and the FOS was 18 when I printed out the information originally.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We booked a tour in Nova Scotia (2003) that specifically said.."no one under 18" is allowed on the tour.

Lo and behold, a couple with a child (about 12) was on the tour and another couple with an infant. The tour was Moosehead Brewery and involved drinking.

The 12 year old looked bored to death and the infant screamed the entire trip. The tour was booked through RCI on the ship.

Don't know what their deal is...

Cruising on FOS late August. Have two sons, ages 13 and 11, and would like to take the canopy excursion in Jamaica. The RC web site states the age restriction is 12 and therefore cannot book. In looking at the Chukka web site, it has the age restriction as 10, and I have seen other posts that state the Carnival's age restriction is 10. The 11 year old is 95+ pounds so weight would not be a concern. Has anyone had to address this situation with RC in the past? What are my odds of being successful once on board? From other posts, it sounds as if it is difficult to arrange outside the cruise as they are mostly reserved by the various ships. I would appreciate any insight others could offer. Thanks -

RCCL has decided that it is a potential liability that they do not want to deal with so they have limited the age that they will allow someone to book this excursion. I really doubt that you will have any luck on the ship getting the age change.

There is nothing that prevents you from doing the excursion on your own and that may be your best bet. It is clear that the company is not as concerned about liability as is RCCL.

Thanks for the feedback. After contacting the Canopy excursion firm directly, they unfortunately confirmed that they do not take reservations for these excursions without going through the cruise line. Essentially, it appears that on cruise days they are fully committed to cruise ship reservations. :(

I sympathize with you. DD is 11 1/2, is as big as me, but we had to forget about many excursions that we were interested it. Horseback riding in Jamaica on RC has a min. age of 7; in Cozumel, it is 12. :rolleyes: Can't figure that one out!

When we did Panama Canal cruise the canopy tour in Puntarenas had an age restriction of 12 doing it through the ship. We booked one ourselves and made our own arrangements so our 10 year old could participate. While on the ship I asked the tour excursion desk why there was a difference. They stated that the cruiseline makes a judgement of the age restriction. It is not nessessarily the same as the facility itself. I think the ships insurance that covers shore excursions likes this magic age of 12, less liability. Book a canopy tour on your own. You will have a great time and probably save a few dollars.

Archived