Pardon my ignorance...

KTE

...but I'm a REAL newbie to "good" photography. (DH is usually in charge of our pix, but I finally decided it was time to try my hand at it - he hasn't been doing too hot lately! :D )

What is DSLR? :confused:

Thanks!

KTE

KTE - It stands for digital single lens reflex camera. That is all I can explain to you though, I don't have one :( and am not experienced enough to give advice to anyone. There are some people on here who take very good pictures, and I am sure they will give a better explanation.

Try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSLR

With film cameras there are the "point and shoot" and the SLR. The SLR has a removable lens that can be replaced with wide angle or telephoto. The "SL" is for single lens. Meaning that when you look through the viewfinder you are looking through the same lens that will make the photo. The "R" is for reflex meaning that a mirror will move out of the way allowing the light to change from the viewfinder and strike the film.

The "SLR" technique can be applied to digital cameras with "D" added to "SLR". The advantage is greatly improved photo quality. Needless to say the cost goes up as well. I hope this helps.

...but I'm a REAL newbie to "good" photography. (DH is usually in charge of our pix, but I finally decided it was time to try my hand at it - he hasn't been doing too hot lately! :D )

What is DSLR? :confused:

Thanks!

KTE

Everybody's a newbie at some point! Asking gets answers! ;)

I've posted a few articles on camera and memory types as well as some plain-talk info that may help you decide what kind of camera is best for the kind of pictures you want to take.

www.pptphoto.com

There are some of my travel photos there too...feel free to browse.

Hope it helps.

Dave

There's a lot of info out there to absorb, sort out and get straight in my head so I can make an informed decision. I've been trying to check out different sites like epinion, but plain language from actual users is more valuable. ;)

KTE

Thanks! Now I want a Lensbaby. Good shooting,

Soon to be followed by "Now I need another body to keep the Lensbaby handy..." :D

There's a lot of info out there to absorb, sort out and get straight in my head so I can make an informed decision.

That was the direction of my two articles. A lot of people ask the guy with the camera bag questions about equipment and such, so I compiled a list and put the answers in "people-speak". Please take a moment to read through "What..." and "Viva la Resolution". I promise it'll be better than ePinions! If you have specific questions, post them and I'll see if I'm smart enough to answer!

Dave

Not to cloud the photo or anything, but if you're that new to photography, you may opt for an "enthusiast" or "pro-sumer" camera. Basically a more adjustable point-and-shoot camera. You can't swap lenses, but you can adjust things like shutter speed and aperture and they will usually take accessories like speed lights and such. It's a way to start getting comfortable with more than just snapshots, but not being overwhelmed by everything you need to think about with a DSLR.

I started with a Nikon 5700 (which I've just about outgrown) and loved it. Don't let the name "coolpix" fool you, it's a powerful camera, although the latest line of coolpix seems to have digressed more towards point-and-shoot. Good pictures, just enough to tinker with and my wife can turn it on and fire away without messing around with anything.

Lots of info at http://www.imaging-resource.com/INDEX.HTM I learned a lot while I was starting to get more serious. Be sure to check out "Dave's List".

Pierces' articles are easy to understand and very informative so be sure to read them.

For a first digital camera I would recommend a good point-and-shoot rather than a DSLR. You can get excellent pictures without much work on your part and they are much cheaper. A DSLR has a steeper learning curve and you might actually find that you are using it as a point-and-shoot most of the time. Get a camera with a good optical zoom (digital zoom doesn't even count), image stabelizing lens, and a fairly high megapixels. Then take your pictures at the highest quality setting so that you can make good enlargements or crop if need be. Digital cameras are great because you never have to worry about wasting film.:rolleyes:

All of the pictures at the link below are taken with point-and-shoot digitals. The 2004 pictures were taken with a Panasonic Lumix FZ10 and the 2005 pixs were taken with the Panasonic and a Canon Powershot A510. My husband has upgraded from the Panasonic to a Pentax *ist DL which we will be using on our upcoming cruise. It is a DSLR.

Archived