Question about "BOB" excursion

We are interested in reserving the "BOB" (breathing observation bubble) excursion on St. Thomas this fall. I have asked this question as an aside in other threads and have so far only gotten a snorkeling comparison, but nothing from anybody who has actually done the "BOB".

I wear contact lenses, and am blind as a bat without them. I have always avoided scuba because the water dislodges the lenses. I am curious as to whether your face stays relatively dry inside the BOB helmut and would I be able to do this with contact lenses.

I have my finger on the enter button ready to reserve that excursion once I get my answer (and assuming it's what I needed to hear). Thanks.

We are interested in reserving the "BOB" (breathing observation bubble) excursion on St. Thomas this fall. I have asked this question as an aside in other threads and have so far only gotten a snorkeling comparison, but nothing from anybody who has actually done the "BOB".

I wear contact lenses, and am blind as a bat without them. I have always avoided scuba because the water dislodges the lenses. I am curious as to whether your face stays relatively dry inside the BOB helmut and would I be able to do this with contact lenses.

I have my finger on the enter button ready to reserve that excursion once I get my answer (and assuming it's what I needed to hear). Thanks.

Hi. We did the BOBs this past December in St. Thomas and loved them! My oldest son and I both wear contacts and had no problem at all. My husband wears glasses, and he didn't have a problem either. We also wouldn't have been able to see a thing if we couldn't wear our glasses/contacts. Once in the BOB, your face stays completely dry. The only time your face gets wet is when you go under the water to climb onto/into the BOB and then when you climb back off. You can hold your breath and close your eyes, as I did, and they will guide you in. It only takes a couple seconds. They will show you how to depressurize, etc., by holding your nose and blowing.

The crew members on our excursion were fun and very helpful. They also sell neat t-shirts on board (I think they were $20). They sell waterproof disposable cameras too for $20, but stop by Walmart and pick them up for $9 before you go. Be sure to have them because when under the water on the BOBs they will gather your group together and take underwater pictures of all of you.

Lastly, be sure to take some extra cash to tip the crew. You'll do this willingly after all the fun you have.

Now go push that button and book this excursion!:D

I concur with everything KelJ said. I have done this twice. It is an excellent excursion and a wonderful place to snorkle (when you are not on the BOB you can snorkle). The crew is also outstanding. By all means book it and enjoy!

My wife wears contacts and she loved BOB. The key is to let the divers who there are to assist you, know you have contacts. They have you close your eyes and guide you into the bubble. Find my cruise link below and you can see our BOB pictures. It was a highlight of our cruise.

Below is my wife and I on our 25th anniversary -5/2/06

bob3.jpg

I wear contacts and didn't have a problem. I also forgot to bring an underwater camera and balked at first at paying $20 for one onboard, until I realized that I would always regret not having a photo souvenier of this unique excursion. It was well worth the money, and when I brought the camera to the local camera store to be developed, they gave me a free larger copy in return for letting them display a copy as their"photo of the week".:D

I am tempted to try the two person Bubble Sub when we are in Grand Cayman in October but the cruiseline is charging $195 per person, and we are already committed to swimming with the stingrays with the kids and grandkids.:(

I wear contacts and didn't have a problem. I also forgot to bring an underwater camera and balked at first at paying $20 for one onboard, until I realized that I would always regret not having a photo souvenier of this unique excursion. It was well worth the money, and when I brought the camera to the local camera store to be developed, they gave me a free larger copy in return for letting them display a copy as their"photo of the week".:D

I am tempted to try the two person Bubble Sub when we are in Grand Cayman in October but the cruiseline is charging $195 per person, and we are already committed to swimming with the stingrays with the kids and grandkids.:(

I did the Bubble Sub in November (2005) and was actual a single (since no one else had signed up at that time). It would have been better to share the experience with someone in the sub. It is awsome and well worth the money (especially if you don't dive). We went down about 60 feet and at one point we were actually resting on the bottom. The glass bubble is totally clear and I highly recommend you take your camera (it doesn't have to be an underwater camera because you won't get wet (you do need to keep it protected while on the boat to the dive site and when getting in the sub but that's because of the spalshing). The diver has a special mask which allows him to communicate with you during the entire duration. Also, the sub is pressurized so you don't need to worry about equalizing. As I said, it is pricey but so well worth it.

I did the Bubble Sub in November (2005) and was actual a single (since no one else had signed up at that time). It would have been better to share the experience with someone in the sub. It is awsome and well worth the money (especially if you don't dive). We went down about 60 feet and at one point we were actually resting on the bottom. The glass bubble is totally clear and I highly recommend you take your camera (it doesn't have to be an underwater camera because you won't get wet (you do need to keep it protected while on the boat to the dive site and when getting in the sub but that's because of the spalshing). The diver has a special mask which allows him to communicate with you during the entire duration. Also, the sub is pressurized so you don't need to worry about equalizing. As I said, it is pricey but so well worth it.

Thanks for the info. I enjoyed BOB and think this would be even better. The only problem I had on BOB was the helmet fogging up. One of the divers could reach up under and splash water on the inside to clear the fogging, but that only lasted a limited amount of time, and I could not do it myself.

We want to do the BOB excursion this December too but can't find it on the Shore Excursions section of RCCL's website. Does anyone know if it's been dropped by RCCL? Thanks:)

Check out their website, I think its http://www.bobusvi.com I tried to buy a t-shirt off the website and the people at the website told me, "Things are in termoil, over at Bob". There were no shirts for sale on the boat as I remember and I still haven't gotten those shirts. (nothing charged to my credit card) I hope they are still going well.

We want to do the BOB excursion this December too but can't find it on the Shore Excursions section of RCCL's website. Does anyone know if it's been dropped by RCCL? Thanks:)

If you don't want to book a private excursion (which you might want to consider to insure you get to go on it), keep checking the RCL site. Not all excursions are currently posted, but they keep adding a couple more everyday. The excursion I was looking for popped up just a day or so ago.

The BOB has been shown under the browse feature on occasion, so I'm sure it will be available just as soon as the next year's contract is completed.

My friend & I experienced BOB 2 years ago and it was wonderful. I am not a good swimmer and am somewhat fearful of ocean water so I was uncertain that I really wanted to do this excursion. However, my friend is quite bossy :o so I went along with it thinking I would perhaps chicken out at the last minute. After I saw that your face does not get wet at all I went along with it and I am so glad I did. You will be told to enter the water, hold your breath and then mount the scooter and place your head into the helmet. Water does not enter any further than your neck so in reality you could wear your contacts. You will be led down approx 8-10 feet into the ocean (a guide per 2 people) and you will be on the scooter for approx 20 mins. During that time the fish float all around you and at one point the guide will feed them close to you and fish swarm all around you. We did not see the sea turtles but others had seen them. Take your camera because the guide will take photos of you while underwater with the fish circling you. When you return to the boat you will dismount the scooter and swim to the boat (in my case since I can't swim very well they took me right over to the boat where I dismounted and went straight up to the deck.) It was fun and, we felt, worth the $.

Alicon

Bear in mind that you will have to fill out and sign a medical release form on board the BOB boat. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions, which included seemingly innocent ones such as whether you take any prescription medications, you will not be permitted to take part in the BOB. Although the RCCL tickets say that a medical release is required, we were not told the details until we were on board the boat to go out to the bobbing site--well, it's too late then to cancel! :mad:

The captain states that they are concerned about recent surgery, diabetics on an insulin pump, or people with heart disease, but if you're comfortable signing the medical release anyway--wink,wink, nudge, nudge--you can participate.

I take a prescription medication commonly prescribed for heart problems or high blood pressure, although I don't take it for either of those reasons. No amount of explanation (I'm an RN) or persuasion changed their minds. Since I wasn't willing to lie on the form, I could snorkel, but not BOB. (And the difference to my health would be...what? :confused: )

My DH and DD absolutely loved BOBbing, though. Ironically, I was the one pushing to do the excursion and they just "went along" with it. :rolleyes:

Hope your experience is great! But if you have ANY question about BOBbing and your health, ask your doctor BEFORE you go and have to sign the release.

Chris

Bear in mind that you will have to fill out and sign a medical release form on board the BOB boat. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions, which included seemingly innocent ones such as whether you take any prescription medications, you will not be permitted to take part in the BOB.

I remember filling out the form, but I'm pretty sure something as generic as any prescription medicines was NOT on it. I know I didn't intentionally lie. I take a couple high BP medicines, and a seizure med. Nothing on that form stopped me from bobbing. This was May 06.

I don't remember filling out a form, although maybe we did. However, DH takes hypertension medication. We would not have lied on the form, if there was one. He was permitted to participate.

Bear in mind that you will have to fill out and sign a medical release form on board the BOB boat. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions, which included seemingly innocent ones such as whether you take any prescription medications, you will not be permitted to take part in the BOB. Although the RCCL tickets say that a medical release is required, we were not told the details until we were on board the boat to go out to the bobbing site--well, it's too late then to cancel! :mad:

The captain states that they are concerned about recent surgery, diabetics on an insulin pump, or people with heart disease, but if you're comfortable signing the medical release anyway--wink,wink, nudge, nudge--you can participate.

I take a prescription medication commonly prescribed for heart problems or high blood pressure, although I don't take it for either of those reasons. No amount of explanation (I'm an RN) or persuasion changed their minds. Since I wasn't willing to lie on the form, I could snorkel, but not BOB. (And the difference to my health would be...what? :confused: )

My DH and DD absolutely loved BOBbing, though. Ironically, I was the one pushing to do the excursion and they just "went along" with it. :rolleyes:

Hope your experience is great! But if you have ANY question about BOBbing and your health, ask your doctor BEFORE you go and have to sign the release.

Chris

When I first filled out the medical form truthfully, they were upset and strongly suggested that I fill out another one eliminating any mention of a previous medical history if I wished to do the BOB. Since I felt more than fit and was looking forward to doing the excursion, I completed a new form omitting that information.:(

I fully enjoyed the experience but I always wondered if they would have used the second form as their defense should anything have gone wrong.:confused:

We took the Bob Excursion last October. My husband is diabetic and hypertensive and my son is epileptic. I know that I would not have been dishonest on the med form....and we all did the excursion and had a great time....the snorkeling was also fun. Well worth the money...and something you will never forget.

I can only relate my own experience. The form I was presented with included ANY prescription medication, including (IIRC) birth control pills. :eek: This was in June 2005; perhaps changes have been made to the release. Perhaps it was the particular tour operator we ended up with.

Chris

My DH and I did the BOB in St. Thomas on a rainy day. The pictures still turned out terrific. We had our own camera and the guide took the whole roll of pictures which were wonderful.

It ended up being a great part of the scrapbook. Make sure you save some of the pamphlets the excurison desk has about it or go to the website. I also bought some great fish and put in the scrapbook. Well worth the price.

Archived