weirdo ?? about balconies...

We have booked an E2 guarantee on RCL. I've always been told you are less likely to get seasick in midship cabins vs. forward or aft cabins. Does anyone have any experience with this situation? I am a little prone to motion sickness but will be well prepared with a prescription for Reglan, the patch and meclizine before I leave home. Anyone end up in a forward or aft cabin who is prone to getting sick? How did it work out? Thanks!!!

Mid-ship/lower deck is the best place to be if you are prone to motion sickness. I would take an aft cabin before forward. The aft cabins sometimes feel vibration from the engines, so if aft, try to go higher on the ship.

Another thing to remember is that if you start to feel badly, GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM and go up on deck where the wind can hit you in the face.

What ship? If it's one of the Voyager class ships, I doubt you will have trouble. At 142,000 tons it's hard to feel any movement.

And none of this will really matter if seas are calm. When are you going? And where?

My husband is VERY PRONE to sea sickness. He even gets it in the car sometimes. We were on a voyager class ship this past February and he did ok considering that there was quite a bit of movement since the seas were pretty rough. We had a cabin that was more towards the end of the ship and it really wasn't at all bad. He uses the patch and he does quite well with it. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and we were going through some pretty bad storms and 30 - 40 ft waves....he got a little queasy but didn't actually get sick! Let's put it this way...he still wants to go on cruises!..and he needs to get a balcony every time.

We've done several cruises and always try to select a cabin near the center of the ship.

You can look at it like this. Take a pen or pencil and balance it on your finger. Let the ends move up and down but watch the center, it hardly moves. We have noticed it very much when moving from our room to areas in the ship near the bow or stern.

I've also taken to traveling ginger tablets. No dramamine necessary. Works like magic and there's no side effects. Ginger is excellent for combating nausea.

I don't care where you are on a ship, if the weather is rough, you will feel the movement. Take that same pencil and bob it up and down while you are rocking it, also roll it side to side. Stabilizers help a lot in calm conditions, but you are on an ocean, it can be unpredictable.

Sounds negative, right? Well, all I can say is to be prepared for the worst, if it doesn't happen, great. We've been on the same ship with the same itinerary twice, the first time we could not feel any movement, we had to go up on deck to make sure we were even moving. The second time, the last night we could barely walk down the hallways, even holding onto the railing.

I haven't tried the patch, because I like to have wine with dinner and a few cocktails during the week. I like to use a combination of remedies (I get seasick quite easily). I take Bonine or Dramamine (whichever I find in the non drowsy formula) starting the night before the cruise, then taking one every night at bedtime. I take along the seabands (stretchy kind) and put those on the very moment I start to feel queasy. I also have a ginger ale instead of a cocktail if the ship is moving a lot. I would not mix meds, use only one type, they can react with each other, you may have a very expensive visit to the infirmary.

So, be prepared, take your precautions, then don't worry about it too much.

Have a fun cruise!

Archived