NY City Pier Parking

Kenhel

Leaving on the Dawn March 2007. The NY Pier website indicates that the parking lot is open a few hours before/after each cruise departure/arrival. The Dawn departs Sunday, but we will be in NY city for 1-2 days prior. There is another cruise line leaving Saturday. Is parking permitted prior to your cruise departure date?

Hi:

I am leaving on the Spirit from NYC on Saturday. I am going to be in NYC tomorrow so I e-mailed and asked if the parking was open...the response was that there was not going to be a ship in port so the parking would be closed.

We are going to park at the hotel and drive the 1.1 mile on Saturday am.

So I guess you will be in luck if a ship is in port.

Just to be on the safe side, bring along enough cash to pay for your entire week's parking. I was there several weeks ago, and the credit card machine was not working and it was cash only. I was only there for the day, so no problem, but I guess some people had to go find a cash machine. The parking attendant was very nonchalant about it.

I did it a few years ago. We stayed a couple nights before sailing I think. THe key is as someone has already said...whether there is a ship sailing that day. Had to pay a couple days extra too, but it was still cheaper than parking at the hotel, which is one reason we did it.

The reason for this(about it only being open when ships are there) is that because you park so close to the ships(right next to them in fact), that the CG requires that a bomb sniffing dog must clear your car before you park. The dogs and the handler is only there on days when ships are scheduled to sail.

Thanks for all the great info - looks like we will park at the pier 1 day prior to our NCL cruise leaving (on Sunday). The pier parking will be open because Holland America is leaving on the Saturday. That saves us some dough!

:rolleyes:

We were thinking of leaving some of our luggage locked in our car at the NY city pier parking lot - and just bring the one bag for NY city. Once you park the car, can you access it just to retrieve the balance of your luggage before embarking on the cruise. We are a family of 4 who tend to have a alot of luggage plus dive and snorkel equipment - we didn't want to lug it in and out of the hotel.

Archived