Does the Crown really "rock" a lot??

Luna'sMom

I have been reading all of the reviews on this board and as varied as they are with peoples likes and dislikes' date=' the one thing I keep reading is that the Crown rocks a lot, even in calm waters. I am already hesitant about my cruise on 10/9 but now I am really nervous. Why do I have such a bad feeling about this ship. Mind you I have been on 12 cruises and have NEVER felt this way. Maybe it is just because of the List problem, but this ship looks top heavy to me. Can someone calm my fears? I am paid in full (the day before the list) so I cannot cancel at this point.[/quote']

Firstly, whilst the ship is high, marine designers account for this by decreasing weight aloft. If anything the high speed turns of both the Grand and Crown validated the seaworthiness of the ships to withstand excessive listing. This has NOTHING to do with the ships motion.

Now, when you are up that high the waves seem like ripples. I asked one captain on the Grand about the size of the ship's wake (seemed small to me). He said it was 15+ feet!!! The point is, what looks to you as a calm sea on deck 15 may well be 5-10 ft. Go out in those waves in a 20 ft boat and see what rocking really is.

Also, when leaving NYC the first two says sail is against the 5 knot Gulf Stream sweeping up the Atlantic coast. Have you ever flown in a plane in a fast moving jet stream? Guaranteed the seat belt sign is on and you are bouncing up and down. Well, the ship acts similarly, and when going against the Gulf Stream the stabilizers will, IMHO pick up some of the turbulence and it gets transmitted to the ship as "rocking". Frankly, the Crown had no more motion than say the Dawn princess crossing the wide open Gulf of Alaska. Then, when returning north again to Bermuda we ran across the Gulf Stream, always tough to reach across a swell. That explains the side to side motion (it was fun to watch the PAX move along in the Photo Gallery like a wave moving across the deck).

Don't get caught up with all this drivel about bad design, faults in the ship, etc. The Grand class design is well proven by now, and IMHO safe.

I hope you don't take offense, but I have to disagree. My first cruise, and I was only a little sick the first couple of days. However, I did experience moving feelings several times during the cruise - sometimes in bed, once in the Princess Theater, during one of the shows, when the airplane hanging from the ceiling was visably moving back and forth (sideways). However, I am prone to car-sickness (first cruise, so I don't know if I'm prone to sea-sickness :D ), but after drinking ginger ale the first couple of days, I had no problems - no patch necessary.

But for why I disagree with you.... On the same cruise, DH & I were in the pool late one night - another few people were there as well - we had a wonderful time. The pool water was washing up and down the pool, creating quite a wave. DH could stand in the deep end (7 foot end) flat-footed, when the wave went to the shallow end. We had lots of fun "body surfing" in the pool that night. (However, it was a lot less fun when I was surfed to the side in the same pool during the "incident" :eek: .)

So, I don't think the movement was due to damages from the "incident". However, IMO, and I am a new cruiser, so I have no basis to base this on, but IMO it was not bad - I was on a ship in the middle of the water, so I expected movement.

I think it is fair to note, that I may have not been around the pool enough to notice, and was never there at night.

I too did see the plane in the theatre move a little. I guess what I noticed was a lot less motion than on my other cruises, this had been my third. And in my mind motion is definitely to be expected.

I was on a western caribbean cruise last year from Miami and that cruise was much rockier than crown. We were in calm waters on that cruise.

On the crown, I always looked at the wave height on the tv information and I did notice 1 day and night we had moderate waves. The rest of the time we had minimal.

I think it is fair to note, that I may have not been around the pool enough to notice, and was never there at night.

So noted.:) (BTW - for anyone yet to go... the pool was wonderful at night... no chair hogs, lots of stars, beautiful skies.... I definately recommend it!:D

I too did see the plane in the theatre move a little. I guess what I noticed was a lot less motion than on my other cruises, this had been my third. And in my mind motion is definitely to be expected.

Agreed. :D You're on a ship, right?? Ships move, therefore motion!:)

the 7/11 Crown cruise was only my second cruise so I'm not about to call myself an expert, but as compared to the Voyager OTS there was a lot more rocking on the Crown. Both cruises were out of NY so we dealt with the same seas. The only time I ever felt Voyager move was when we were docking. Otherwise one would have never known they were even on a ship.

I'm sure the difference lies in the size of the ship and the hull design.

Archived