Does the Crown really "rock" a lot??

Luna'sMom

I have been reading all of the reviews on this board and as varied as they are with peoples likes and dislikes, the one thing I keep reading is that the Crown rocks a lot, even in calm waters. I am already hesitant about my cruise on 10/9 but now I am really nervous. Why do I have such a bad feeling about this ship. Mind you I have been on 12 cruises and have NEVER felt this way. Maybe it is just because of the List problem, but this ship looks top heavy to me. Can someone calm my fears? I am paid in full (the day before the list) so I cannot cancel at this point.

I have been reading all of the reviews on this board and as varied as they are with peoples likes and dislikes' date=' the one thing I keep reading is that the Crown rocks a lot, even in calm waters. I am already hesitant about my cruise on 10/9 but now I am really nervous. Why do I have such a bad feeling about this ship. Mind you I have been on 12 cruises and have NEVER felt this way. Maybe it is just because of the List problem, but this ship looks top heavy to me. Can someone calm my fears? I am paid in full (the day before the list) so I cannot cancel at this point.[/quote']

The ship is the exact same design as CARIBBEAN PRINCESS. I don't think CROWN PRINCESS is any less stable, she just cruises in waters that have more swells, under-currents, and waves which of course causes more motion. The seas may look calm on the surface, but there could actually be a swell or under-current that is causing the motion.

If you are sailing out of NY, you can probably expect more motion then the ships that sail out of South Florida or San Juan.

Ernie

Thanks for the response, but I am very used to sailing out of NY, in fact have sailed to Bermuda 4 times and we all know how rough the waters can be on the way to Bermuda. When we were on the Celebrity Horizon one year in July, people were getting thrown out of bed it was so rough.

I have no comparison to make as my 8/7 Crown cruise was my first.

The "rocking" was there, but after one day, I didn't even notice it. There were a few rough nights. One evening, it was humerous as many people looked drunk wobbling about, but it wasn't anything where people were falling.

The Crown is one tall ship, so rocking to me is expected. There was even a day in calmer waters that I felt the ship was leaning just a little off center. But I never once had one inkling of fear in me.

Hmmm. I've never sailed out of NY. Always Vancouver, Seattle, Fort Lauderdale and Galveston. So maybe that's the difference. It doesn't bug me in the LEAST bit, as I like the movement. It's just that we have a bunch of friends going with us, who have never cruised, and who are very nervous since the infamous list happened. I know they look at these boards, and I want them to be comfortable.

We'll be cruising out of San Juan in January.

The only time I was slightly bothered by the rocking on the Crown was on the last day at sea. The waters up here in the north are rougher than in the Carribean. On the other days we hardly felt the ship. We felt SAFE. Don't worry about the list. I feel more rocking now that I am home with this "land legs" disorder than I felt on the ship!

Hi Luna'sMom

We are going on the same cruise as you are. I was definitely nervous after hearing about the list but after hearing that the ship did a higher speed turn (thereby causing the list) I am not worried at all.

I think probably part of the reason we are hearing about the rocking is that everyone on board since the list is probably hypersensitive to the motion of the ship as well as, since this is Princess's first ship out of NYC (recently anyway!), there could be a number of Princess "devotees" who haven't sailed the rockier North Atlantic before.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January and there was a constant sense of swaying side to side slightly. The beds in our cabin were perpendicular to the length of the ship and I definitely noticed it when trying to go to sleep. That said, it was NOT a huge movement.

We'll see if the Crown is the same or worse. I'm thinking it will probably be the same and this time our beds are going to be parallel to the sides of the ship so I figure I'm going to be gently rocked to sleep ;)!

Can't wait!

p.s. It may look "top heavy" but don't forget the top part of the ship is made primarily out of light weight metals (eg/ aluminum) and the bottom part is made out of heavy weight metals (eg/ steel). Also there is a lot of ballast plus the engines themselves down low so it won't tip over!

So far, the Crown has sailed only itineraries out of New York, into the Atlantic Ocean. Any time you're in an ocean it'll be rougher and the ship will rock more.

The Crown shouldn't rock more than the other Grand Class ships in the same sea/weather/wind conditions. If you compared it to the Regal, for instance, you could say it rocked more since the Regal has a very different design.

One issue I see popping up more and more in the boards are new cruisers who think of a cruise ship as a floating hotel and then are surprised when there is motion or rocking. Many also book cabins on higher decks thinking that they're "better" whereas in reality, the lower the deck, the less rocking sensation you'll experience. There's also less of a rocking sensation in the middle vs. the forward area of a ship.

As with everything else, two people on the same ship at the same time will experience different motion and report back.

Lunas Mom,

We were on the 7/29 sailing of the Crown & I have said in a couple of places that there was rocking, but please.

It was not excessive but minor ! I just thought it was strange when the waters were so calm.

But make no mistake , it was NOT that bad. And at no time with my children on board did I not feel 100% SAFE !!!

There were a couple of small things that bothered me, but the ships motion did not make my top 5 annoyance list.

We had a wonderful time & the Crown is a beautiful ship. Please do not worry, go & have a great time.

I will look for your post when you get back & I am sure it will be positive !!!!

I have sailed on very small ships--lots of rocking and bumping along the way, and larger ships--hardly anything. I can say that Crown had some periodic motion, more towards aft. This was barely given a second thought the few times it was mentioned by anyone in my party. But one thing I really noticed, is no motion in the theater which is in the front of the ship. That is usually where it is most noticeable, but I never felt anything. Also, the traditional dining room was so smooth, and on every other ship I have been on I have always had vibrations in the dining rooms. So it is a trade off, but please don't worry...almost all of the time you won't even notice a thing!

We were on the 7/29 cruise. Minimal motion compared to other ships. She did not do the kind of gyrations that create seasickness. Once in the Caribbean, you hardly knew that you were moving the waters were so smooth. If you want to minimize motion, get a low cabin mid-ship.

My experience on the Crown on the July 20/22nd sailing (the one delayed due to "the list") was it rocks no more or less than the CB (which I've been on twice) and the Grand (once). The CB didn't really have anything to compare it to since it was calm waters both times. The Grand, out of Houston, got rough and the pools were closed. On the Crown the first day was the roughest and the last day was getting rougher the closer we got to NY. The roughest I've been is going out around Vancouver Island on a Seattle to Alaska cruise.

One thing I noticed on the Crown. We were walking the Sun deck as we saw them closing the pools because it was getting too rough while we were heading South. Water was sloshing around in the pools and getting pretty violent. The Calypso had it's net over it and we walked to the Neptune and four kids, about 12 years old were having a ball riding the waves. A couple of them floated near the edge of the pool and let the water slosh them up onto the deck and they then flopped around like fish out of water. Fun to watch. The curious thing I noticed was the water ALWAYS sloshed end to end in the pool, not side to side - even though we weren't going exactly into the wind. The wind was more of a 45 degree angle across the bow. Must be because of the stabilizers. Once I noticed this I noticed there was very little side-to-side sway - all fore and aft. If the movement was more side-to-side I'd agree it there might be something to the "top heavy" theory.

Just my observations from a salty Norwegian.

Marlin

I have been reading all of the reviews on this board and as varied as they are with peoples likes and dislikes' date=' the one thing I keep reading is that the Crown rocks a lot, even in calm waters. I am already hesitant about my cruise on 10/9 but now I am really nervous. Why do I have such a bad feeling about this ship. Mind you I have been on 12 cruises and have NEVER felt this way. Maybe it is just because of the List problem, but this ship looks top heavy to me. Can someone calm my fears? I am paid in full (the day before the list) so I cannot cancel at this point.[/quote']

I was on the Crown during the 7/11 sailing when "it" happened. Before the trip, I felt the ship looked a little too top heavy as there are a few more decks on it than past ships I have been on. With this, before the list, the sailing from New York to near Florida was pretty smoothe. My cabin was in the front of the ship on the Caribe Deck and we felt almost no movement. It was a very nice, relaxing cruise until the 18th when it tilted. I've concluded that, had the ship actually been top heavy, we wouldn't have recovered from the list. So go on your cruise and have fun! I know we did, before the second to the last day!!:(

The curious thing I noticed was the water ALWAYS sloshed end to end in the pool, not side to side - even though we weren't going exactly into the wind. The wind was more of a 45 degree angle across the bow. Must be because of the stabilizers. Once I noticed this I noticed there was very little side-to-side sway - all fore and aft. If the movement was more side-to-side I'd agree it there might be something to the "top heavy" theory.

Just my observations from a salty Norwegian.

Marlin

I noticed the same thing. It didn't concern me, though.

Here's my theory....

You are onboard a ship!

The only time you would expect it NOT to rock is when it's tied up in port....

Rougher the seas, more movement. Higher the wind speed, more movement. Weather system nearby, more movement. Smaller the ship, more movement.

Don't worry so much. Just go and have a good time.:p

I was on the Crown during the 7/11 sailing when "it" happened. Before the trip, I felt the ship looked a little too top heavy as there are a few more decks on it than past ships I have been on. With this, before the list, the sailing from New York to near Florida was pretty smoothe. My cabin was in the front of the ship on the Caribe Deck and we felt almost no movement. It was a very nice, relaxing cruise until the 18th when it tilted. I've concluded that, had the ship actually been top heavy, we wouldn't have recovered from the list. So go on your cruise and have fun! I know we did, before the second to the last day!!:(
:p My experience exactly....we were on the Dolphin Deck - past midship - the entire cruise was very smooth - even leaving New York - only a few times waiting for elevators did I feel movement. Even when we left PC we all talked about how smooth the water was not even a ripple - then the list - we knew it was not caused by the ocean.

Haven't been on the Crown or any Princess ship yet,but was on Carnival Legend twice and there was always more movement there. It also left from NYC.I happen to like the movement,it almost puts me to sleep.Thats one reason I like to cruise.I enjoy the swaying when I'm laying in bed.It's a ship,its moving through water,its gonna sway.

Laura

I noticed the same thing. It didn't concern me, though.

I was also on the 7/11 cruise, it was very smooth. Never felt any motion and never saw the pool sloshing about. We always commented about this being smoother than other cruises we had all been on and other pax confirmed the same.

Reading all the rockiness posts after, maybe have something to do with the stabilizers after the list.

Hello! My husband and I were on the June 23rd cruise! Out of 8 cruises I have been on (mostly princess), this was my very first experience not getting sea sick! I always get a little sea sick (like I have a sinus infection) the first 2 days of my trip. . .BUT not this time around. It was the most smoothest ride I have ever experienced. Next week I am booking with the Crown again for next August! Actually, 1 year from today I'll be on her again! Yeahhh! =) Happy Weekend!

I was also on the 7/11 cruise, it was very smooth. Never felt any motion and never saw the pool sloshing about. We always commented about this being smoother than other cruises we had all been on and other pax confirmed the same.

Reading all the rockiness posts after, maybe have something to do with the stabilizers after the list.

;) I think you hit the nail on the head!!!!

The Crown Princess 7/11 sailing wqas my first cruise so far and I had nothing to compare it too but i thought it was fine. Now my GF said it was rockier but this was her first time leaving from NY so thats a pretty good reason why. Myself I liked feeling it rock about sometimes it reminded me I was on a ship in the middle of the ocean in the middle of nowhere. The first night or secong night at sea from NY we went onside by the lifeboats and you could see some pretty heavy waves hitting that ship and I thought to myself" those are pretty nice size waves and this is all you feel?" So I think leaving from NY had a lot to do with it. Also to the experienced cruisers what are considered decent sized waves? That night by the lifboats they were 4 to 8 foot waves I believe. Is that a big or moderately sized waves?

Four to eight foot waves barely constitutes "moderate swell".

You're talking "heavy seas" when you get up to double digits, teens and above.

Perhaps one of the old salts can put up the actual classification of waves and sea state.

Derf - you're the master of the odd fact, how about it?

Four to eight foot waves barely constitutes "moderate swell".

You're talking "heavy seas" when you get up to double digits, teens and above.

Perhaps one of the old salts can put up the actual classification of waves and sea state.

Derf - you're the master of the odd fact, how about it?

Well again to a first time cruiser it looked nice size waves whether they were or not is another story.

I hope you don't take offense, but I have to disagree. My first cruise, and I was only a little sick the first couple of days. However, I did experience moving feelings several times during the cruise - sometimes in bed, once in the Princess Theater, during one of the shows, when the airplane hanging from the ceiling was visably moving back and forth (sideways). However, I am prone to car-sickness (first cruise, so I don't know if I'm prone to sea-sickness :D ), but after drinking ginger ale the first couple of days, I had no problems - no patch necessary.

But for why I disagree with you.... On the same cruise, DH & I were in the pool late one night - another few people were there as well - we had a wonderful time. The pool water was washing up and down the pool, creating quite a wave. DH could stand in the deep end (7 foot end) flat-footed, when the wave went to the shallow end. We had lots of fun "body surfing" in the pool that night. (However, it was a lot less fun when I was surfed to the side in the same pool during the "incident" :eek: .)

So, I don't think the movement was due to damages from the "incident". However, IMO, and I am a new cruiser, so I have no basis to base this on, but IMO it was not bad - I was on a ship in the middle of the water, so I expected movement.

Archived