Protect yourself while cruising

ckrobyn

Oh I see. The last cruise we went on where we flew, we had bought nice locks for our suitcases and they cut almost all of them. So I take it that if we use TSA approved locks, then they won't need to.

Exactly. (FWIW, I got mine at Brookstone).

Ron

One thing I never thought to do was take pictures of everything in my luggage. Now obviously this would only apply to those items that are expensive and can't be easily replaced, but then those things are always in my carryon.

"Reporting a crime on board a cruise ship doesn't mean anything will be done or that the crime will ever be investigated."

This is so true and we see reports about this all the time. Use good common sense and be aware of your surroundings and hopefully you won't be a crime victim at sea.

Recent TSA lock story...

I recently flew out of LAX. After paying American Airlines outside check-in the required $2/bag (grrr)...I then had to take my bags to the TSA people so they could put the bags thru 'the machine'. He asked if my bags were locked...as he was looking at the lock. I said yes, but they were TSA approved locks. He then said, "if you want to wait 3 hours for them to come by and unlock them, that's up to you". I unlocked the combination and went on my way. Such a freindly experience!!:confused: :( .

I will still lock my bags coming and going off the ship.

That's almost a little bit scary. But I remember on my last cruise I heard stories of people being robbed and I thought they ment on the islands but they said right on the ship like digital cameras and stuff.

In 35 years of cruising, 2-4 a year, I have never had a thing taken from my cabin or luggage. I have never been assaulted, threatened, cheated, scammed on ship or ashore.

For the past 15 years, I have cruised solo. Same thing.....

In addition to cruising, I travel a lot by car and plane..... Same thing.

Common sense rules!

Don't buy into scare tactics.

Recent TSA lock story...

I recently flew out of LAX. After paying American Airlines outside check-in the required $2/bag (grrr)...I then had to take my bags to the TSA people so they could put the bags thru 'the machine'. He asked if my bags were locked...as he was looking at the lock. I said yes, but they were TSA approved locks. He then said, "if you want to wait 3 hours for them to come by and unlock them, that's up to you". I unlocked the combination and went on my way. Such a freindly experience!!:confused: :( .

Thanks for the heads-up on LAX. Another airport with less-than-helpful TSA people is SAT (San Antonio, Texas). In fall 2004 our new TSA lock was cut and thrown away, they did NOT leave the required notice inside the suitcase that they'd searched it (we SAW them do it) and they unzipped and left open ALL the baggies I'd put our little shampoo & cosmetic bottles, etc. in. Also they opened and smelled every bottle of (new, sealed) shampoo, conditioner, etc. and didn't screw the caps back on tightly, so our clothes were a soapy mess when we got to England. And we were just about the only pax in the airport that morning, so they had plenty of time to do it right. I'm like you ... grrrr...

At other airports, we have had nothing but admiration for the way the overworked TSA people have done their jobs. It can't be easy! And I know they are keeping us safe, bless them. But watch out for the SAT crew!

If you DO happen to go through SAT or LAX and have a problem, you can email your complaint to: TSA.Ombudsman@dhs.gov . Wish I'd known that back then.

When in port, be sure to leave your key with the registration desk before disembarking. Has this person EVER cruised? You need your sea pass to get on and off the ship??:confused:

Very old information maybe we should email him/her and suggest updating info?

Back when I first cruised, I remember your SeaPass was a seperate from your room key.... this may be that old :P

When in port, be sure to leave your key with the registration desk before disembarking. Has this person EVER cruised? You need your sea pass to get on and off the ship??:confused:

Very old information maybe we should email him/her and suggest updating info?

Back when I first cruised, I remember your SeaPass was a seperate from your room key.... this may be that old :P

Archived