Protect yourself while cruising

ckrobyn

I wonder how old that post is? Everything he was talking about with the luggage is completely and hopelessly outdated if you are flying to your port.

Most of the other stuff he says makes sense but the largest number of crimes that occur on a cruise occur while tourists are in port...Not actually on the ship.

Cruise Ship Security

Travel Security & Safety

by Chris E McGoey, CPP, CSP, CAM

Cruise Ship Security

Beware of Your Luggage Outdated info. My advice: Use TSA approved locks!

Cabin Security - For the most part on this section good advice.

Just like in a hotel, protect your cabin key and cabin number. Dishonest crew or passengers will look for the opportunity to snatch a loose key or one that is left unattended.

When in port, be sure to leave your key with the registration desk before disembarking. Has this person EVER cruised? You need your sea pass to get on and off the ship??:confused:

Very old information maybe we should email him/her and suggest updating info?

Cruise Ship Security

Travel Security & Safety

Cruise Ship Security

Just like in a hotel, protect your cabin key and cabin number. Dishonest crew or passengers will look for the opportunity to snatch a loose key or one that is left unattended.

When in port, be sure to leave your key with the registration desk before disembarking. Has this person EVER cruised? You need your sea pass to get on and off the ship??:confused:

do you know of anyplace online to order TSA approved locks?

Cruise Ship Security

Travel Security & Safety

Cruise Ship Security

I have to disagree with you. The advice is totally current because it talks about things to do in connection with a cruise NOT with flying to catch the cruise. If you drive everything that is said is appropriate. If you fly it is still appropriate but you would need to do some adjusting after arrival by air at the port of departure.

In some cases the comment about the room key is excellent advice. True it does not work on the large ships but I have been on some niche lines where there are no sign and sail cards, you simply take a card from a cubby when you leave the ship and place it back when you return. No computers keeping track, etc. The lines simply use the cubbies to tell who is aboard or ashore. The crew even uses the same system.

In that case there is no need to take your room key off the ship.

In other words all of the advice in the quoted article is right on the mark.

I think it may be a recent article, but I've read the same type of articles in the past. Good advice, much of it common sense. I think people regard cruise ships as safer than other environments. I've often wondered why people would even think to allow their children or teens (especially girls) free reign onboard a cruise ship.

We keep our luggage locks in the side pocket of our luggage and put them on before handing them over to the porters. We lock them again before putting them out into the hall at night, removing them before we turn them over to airport personnel.

What I always find odd is that someone would "put drugs into your suitcase" :rolleyes: only to retrieve it after it is offloaded:confused: . The bags are taken by cruise ship personnel and loaded into bins, those bins are then offloaded into a holding area at the port by dock personnel. The bags are sniffed by dogs, to locate any drugs that may be smuggled.

It sounds just like on the TV show, COPS, yeah officer, I'm holding this cocaine and marijuana for my friend. Yeah, right.

As far as theft from luggage, well, with the thousands of pieces of luggage off loaded, there is hardly time for anyone to go through your bags. Not that it hasn't happened, I just think a lot of people leave items behind by mistake, I've done it myself almost every cruise. I just read with doubt in my mind when someone states that a watch, a camera, a necklace, usually one item only, has been stolen from their suitcase. My thought is that a thief would steal the whole bag, make it worth their while.

Finally, many are learning that because you are a citizen of the US (not to impugn any other nationalities) you are not going to enjoy the same set of laws when you are out of the US. I think a false sense of security is felt, because many cruises leave from the US, or there are ships that normally operate and heavily advertise in the US.

Not a bad article, be careful, but don't travel in fear!

What is the difference between TSA approved locks and other luggage locks? Or are you talking about something else? I unpack our bags on the ship. What are you talking about locking up? Your valuables ?

TSA locks are approved by the TSA, meaning they have a key to use if they need to open your bag.

For sending your bags on and off the ships, you do not need TSA locks, you can use your old fashioned ones, the more secure (:confused: ) ones. I prefer to use the type that has a combination that I set myself. There is no TSA regulation regarding locks for the ships.

TSA locks can be purchased at any luggage store, or through the internet, places like ebags.

Oh I see. The last cruise we went on where we flew, we had bought nice locks for our suitcases and they cut almost all of them. So I take it that if we use TSA approved locks, then they won't need to.

I bought mine at Target. I like the kind where you can set the combination myself. That way I don't need to find the key! :) Just have to remember the combination! :)

I bought mine at Target. I like the kind where you can set the combination myself. That way I don't need to find the key! :) Just have to remember the combination! :)

I got some great lime green baggage tags at Target, but I thought they were too expensive for the locks. :eek:

We bought our combination TSA locks at Walmart. They also had a bright colored belt to put around the suitcase, a bright colored piece to put on the handle as well as the bright colored lock. The whole package was about $8.

If you are using a black suitcase, the above-mentioned pieces certainly will be distinguishable and hopefully someone won't walk off with your suitcase by mistake. I think the colors were neon green, orange and maybe yellow. We love them.

I got some great lime green baggage tags at Target, but I thought they were too expensive for the locks. :eek:

I really couldn't say for sure what I paid for them. I bought them the first year they were available for our 17 day Hawaii trip where we changed hotels twice and flew out of 3 airports. I'm sure I didn't pay more than $15 for them though. I want to say about $12, but I haven't priced them in years. Sometimes the convenience is worth a few bucks! :)

Shirleygr,

Thanks for the links! I just ordered some brass ones !

I have the lime green and neon pink key locks. They help to distinguish our luggage at the airport. I also have neon orange and lime green ribbons tied on each of the handles. That with the bright green tags makes our luggage stand out. :D

I really couldn't say for sure what I paid for them. I bought them the first year they were available for our 17 day Hawaii trip where we changed hotels twice and flew out of 3 airports. I'm sure I didn't pay more than $15 for them though. I want to say about $12, but I haven't priced them in years. Sometimes the convenience is worth a few bucks! :)

Oh, absolutely, sometimes it's just easier to grab it when you see it and are thinking of it. We just used zip ties for the longest time after the new security measures, then one day I was cruising the travel aisle at Walmart and saw the TSA locks. I decided to price them at ebags, where I've purchased most of our luggage, and their prices were very good. Ebags just happened to have free shipping right then so I bought them there. I also had a couple of months until our next trip so had the luxury to wait.

BTW, you'll have to tell me about Hawaii sometime. That sounds like a fabulous trip. :)

Archived