Venice Excursion to Padua

douggell

dougelle,

we plan to be in Venice for 3 days before our cruise, and I would like to make a day trip from there. I had hoped to get to the Lake Come area,but it takes about 4 hours by train each way.

Why have you picked Padua? Has anyone else reading this board visited any other cities that are a short distance from Venice? Please give me any suggestions you have. Thanks!

Marian

A few years ago, while on a Med. cruise, we were docked 3 days in Venice. One of the excursions offered on Orient lines was a full day tour to Verona. It was by bus & took well over an hr. (sorry don't remember exactly). The countryside was beautiful. I loved the city w/ the river running through it. We did a great walking tour that included several piazzas that had aging but still beautiful frescoed walls, the obligatory visit to the Juliet balcony & a nice lunch. I'd highly recommend Verona. A few months ago I disembarked from a cruise in Venice; & spent a total of 5 days there. I REALLY wanted to get to Padua to see the Gotti frescoes; but didn't work out the logistics. I had hoped that "O" would offer a tour; but they didn't. I had also looked for a tour/guide based in Venice that would do tours in the surrounding area. I struck out. Only guides I could find were those that did walking tours in Venice itself. The train would have been an option; but we (two 50+ females) weren't comfortable w/ trying to tackle this on our own. And we certainly weren't the "rent the car" types. So, we missed out on Padua. We are planning to make a future journey to explore the Lake District of Italy, probably flying into Milan & starting there. I seem to recall some train info on the "Italy" TripAdvisor.com forums that talked about the journey between Venice & Padua. If you don't get an adequate response here, you might do a search there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187768-i20-Italy.html

I remember a (land) trip we were on a few years ago. We got bored after a couple of days in Milano and, because we had a Eurrail pass, we decided to spend a day in Venezia (retuning to Milano in the evening).

We passed thru both Verona and Padua on the way there and back. It's easy to get there by train from Venezia and I believe it would take less than an hour.

The train trip to Padua is between 25 and 40 minutes, to Vicenza about an hour or so. You can reserve time to visit the beautiful Scrovegni Chapel (15 minutes) on the internet. You can also take a variety of daily tours in and from Venice with Avventure Bellissime (www.tours-italy.com).

Have a wonderful time.

Ben

dougelle,

we plan to be in Venice for 3 days before our cruise, and I would like to make a day trip from there. I had hoped to get to the Lake Come area,but it takes about 4 hours by train each way.

Why have you picked Padua? Has anyone else reading this board visited any other cities that are a short distance from Venice? Please give me any suggestions you have. Thanks!

Marian

Padua because:

(a) very close to Venice (20 miles?)

(b) one of those Italian "gems"

© We will be in Venice for sufficient time to "take a break"

I imagine one could taxi to Padua fairly easily and conveniently - if not inexpensively.

We would like to spend time in Verona, Parma, Lake Garda as well (based on previously auto trips in Italy) but we no longer drive in Europe ourselves.

I love Padua! And Verona and Vicenza. With no disrespect to other board members, it is very easy to visit these places on your own using the Italian train system. See http://www.trenitalia.it for schedules. Have you considered an excursion on the Brenta Canal from Padua to Venice? See http://frommers.com/destinations/padua/0725010011.html. Using that method, you would only need to train one-way or as you said, you could take a cab.

Have a great trip,

Donna

The train trip to Padua is between 25 and 40 minutes, to Vicenza about an hour or so. You can reserve time to visit the beautiful Scrovegni Chapel (15 minutes) on the internet. You can also take a variety of daily tours in and from Venice with Avventure Bellissime (www.tours-italy.com).

Have a wonderful time.

Ben

Thanks for the tour reference...just what I was looking for and stimulates some good ttravel ideas e.g. airport pick up...canal cruise...hotel drop-off or even Lucca pickup...drive through verona/Padua....hotel drop off...etc etc

Doug

We took the train from Venice to Padua. Going to Padua we had a local that made all of the stops. Returning to Venice we made no stops. I think the time difference was about 45 minutes vs. 20 minutes. We did not have reservations for the Scrovegni Chapel (http://www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/eng/index_e.htm) so we had to wait a couple of hours for our turn. They strictly limit the number of visitors who are inside the chapel and the environment is very controlled. We visited the university area and Palazzo della Ragione and then had a nice lunch at a sidewalk cafe before returning to the chapel for our tour.

Archived