Lido and other barstaff

navywife06

Hi all,

I am just off of the Elation and had a great time. One thing that I wondered about was whether the waitstaff that brought drinks around was paid only by the proportion of drinks that they sold. My husband and I drink a decent amount by most standards and it seemed like there was always someone, albeit nice, trying to get us to buy drinks.

I'm not complaining at all.. just wondering how it worked.

I think this may have two answers -

1) The servers and bartenders get an automatic 15% tip included in the price of all beverages sold (I think that's one reason the bartenders don't really like the soda cards - there is only a tip on the initial purchase).

and

2) I think they also get some sort of credit or compenstion for any of the "drink specials" that are being promoted on that particular day. I know on our last cruise everyone was pushing the $25.00 wine tasting they had in the main dining room. For two days ahead of the tasting, all of the cocktail servers, Lido waiters, and even the busboys were pushing the tasting tickets every chance they had.

We too experienced the same thing last week on the Glory. It was almost to the point where I found them to be annoying.

I also noticed that when I didn’t give them an additional tip other than the auto grat of 15% that they would cop an attitude about it. You could visibly see the disgust on their face. This happened twice with two different wait staff just on the lido deck. I told them thank you as well and they said nothing and walked off.

I consider myself good tipper but let me get the service first and then I will show you my appreciation. The drink (drink of the day) were pre-made and watered down when I got it. It wasn’t like they made a special trip or anything, so I thought the 15% was sufficient. I guess not.

Yup, as Serene said, they have a quota of drinks, and the more drinks they sell, the more they make. I've never had a problem... I just say no if I don't want one. Now, on my RCL cruise, they were actually coming through the buffet area, every 2-3 minutes and would come up to us while eating asking us if we wanted drinks... that was bothersome. But I've never had a problem on Carnival.

when you are eating and the waiters keep asking you over and over-- i am taking its not the same waiter?? I would get trully pissed if the same guy kept asking every few minutes

It was 3 guys circling the buffet area. I did say something about it on my comment card... I am fine with them trying to sell drinks... but while I am eating, I'd prefer to be left alone. They also did this in the dining room. They came through in 2 hours, with 6 different "shots" and a few more "special drinks"...

in the dining room i am lucky to even see the bar waiter one time in the evening...usually close to the time we are done too.

they must know that your wallet--lol

Yeah, I was quite surprised... now, it was just as difficult to get a "normal" drink from the bar waiter... but if you wanted a shot in some silly RCL shotglass, they were everywhere in the dining room! LOL!!

ahh, yes Royal Cribbean--- yes those shot waiters are out in abundance. expensive too--lol never seen such a thing on carnival-- did you buy any of those? i got one for the glass only

ahh, yes Royal Cribbean--- yes those shot waiters are out in abundance. expensive too--lol never seen such a thing on carnival-- did you buy any of those? i got one for the glass only

Oh yes, I bought PLENTY of them :rolleyes: Because I'm an idiot :p LOL!!!

I am thinking the 15% auto-gratuity goes into a pool and the "extra tip" you add goes straight to them.

If they give a disgusted look when you "only" tip 15%, then perhaps they will not bother you so much in the future!

I am a big proponent of giving a fair amount of tips, but for bringing a drink, 15% is plenty.

There is no excuse for a server who, upon receiving the standard 15% tip, gives a "disgusted" look. I would not patronize that person again. Really, a complaint to a supervisor would be appropriate, but I would not want to pursue that because I am on vacation and I really don't care!

There is no excuse for a server who, upon receiving the standard 15% tip, gives a "disgusted" look. I would not patronize that person again. Really, a complaint to a supervisor would be appropriate, but I would not want to pursue that because I am on vacation and I really don't care!

Diddo!

Just off the Carnival Miracle, I was wondering how the tipping situation occurred. I was told that the bar waiters receive the 15%. So, the more they sell, the more they make. The bartenders have to split the 15% they receive from people ordering drinks at the bar. However you slice it, these people work hard. I don't know if any of you actually spoke to waiters to find out how much base pay they receive from the cruise line. It is not much. They rely on tips. And they work their butts off. We are lido people(like to spend time around the pool) and have developed relationships during our stay with a few bar waiters. It is nice to have these people cater to you, just like in the dining room. For that we always tip extra at the end of the week. They definately deserve it. Being in the tipping industry, if the service deserves it, SHOW IT!:)

i always add good tip for my drinks,and then all i have to do is nod....from the other side of the pool lol,and they give me great service and drinks arent watered:))),i like to keep bartender happy,if hes happy im happy:p

Just off the Carnival Miracle, I was wondering how the tipping situation occurred. I was told that the bar waiters receive the 15%. So, the more they sell, the more they make. The bartenders have to split the 15% they receive from people ordering drinks at the bar. However you slice it, these people work hard. I don't know if any of you actually spoke to waiters to find out how much base pay they receive from the cruise line. It is not much. They rely on tips. And they work their butts off. We are lido people(like to spend time around the pool) and have developed relationships during our stay with a few bar waiters. It is nice to have these people cater to you, just like in the dining room. For that we always tip extra at the end of the week. They definately deserve it. Being in the tipping industry, if the service deserves it, SHOW IT!:)

I agree that they deserve all the tips they get, and I don't mind tipping extra for good service... It's the constant aggressive sales of the DOD's and shots that bothers me. It's like a timeshare pitch that's never ending... I'm on vacation to get away from salesmen. The next thing you know they'll have telemarketers calling your cabin phone... lol.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with tipping more where it is due.

However, I am not going to tip them extra just because they rely on tips. It would take a lot for me to reduce tips on a ship, but if I get standard, ho-hum service, you're going to get a standard, ho-hum tip, it's as simple as that. If you want a tip beyond the 15%, or the daily tip amount, I think it should have to be earned. Of course, I think the standard tips should have to be earned as well, but I'm not going to give an extra tip to someone who just does their job and walks away without saying a word. I'm not going to reduce their tip, either.

Archived