Boarding Question-Luggage

We plan to arrive at the ship by 11:00 for our Navigator sailing this Saturday. Once we are on board, do we have to lug around our carry-on bags or can we leave as many bags as we want with the porter? Some have said you can just drop off carry-on bags in your room - others have said fire doors were closed until 1:00 pm so it was not possible to go to the room. I'd like to have just a small tote bag with pool things and valuables and leave everything else with the porters when we embark. Is this possible?

I have not been on the Navigator, but I have always been able to put my bags in my cabin earlier than 1:00pm. This past Feb we sailed from San Juan, and the sailing time was not until 10:00pm, and we had bags in our cabin by 10:45am.

You can give as many bags as you want to the porters, but it's nice to take a carry-on with you that has a change of clothes for dinner in case your luggage arrives at your cabin late.

We've always boarded as early as possible, sometimes before 11:00, and we've never had a problem accessing our cabin. We just leave our carry-on stuff in there and then go off and explore the ship.

Philip

do not leave valuables with porter, carry on's usually contact meds and cameras. my last cruise in May met some people who got all their luggage except their carry on! RCCL told them they were told not to check in valuables/carry on luggage. Supposedly it says so in the cruise documents - never really noticed and that they would have trouble claiming with their insurance company (doubt that), but it was a pain for them.

Enjoy your cruise

On our recent Rhapsody cruise, some of the firedoors were closed, but we found one on the opposite side open and walked around the bow to get to our room to drop off our bags. This is the first time the doors have been closed, and may be a new thing to cut down on the traffic for cleaning the rooms since they have spread the stewards thinner.

On our Explorer cruise the fire doors were also occasionally closed, but they are not locked. (would be VERY unsafe) and there wasn't a problem with going throught the doors. We dropped of our bags, our steward asked us to leave them in the closet so no one would see them and take them. It's no problem to drop off the bags in your cabin, just be brief so you don't bother the stewards who are trying very hard to get cabins ready.

We sailed on the Mariner two weeks ago. We had planned to carry on our small suitcase that we carried on the plane with us. As we were about to enter the terminal on of the workers advised us not to since we would have to be carrying it around with us. We did check it then. We were glad we did because they weren't letting people roll their suitcases onto the escalators. If you wanted to take your suitcase you had to carry it so it was not resting on the escalator. The lines for the elevators were long too so I wouldn't have wanted to deal with that. Once on board we got lunch and then tried to get into our cabin. This was about 12:30. Not only were the doors closed but there was an attendant there not letting anyone in the hallway. We asked him if we could go drop stuff off but he wouldn't let us. This was the case on every deck since we had used the stairs and saw attendants at each one. In the future I won't plan on getting to the ship until 1 so we can just go to our room.

Ever see someone with a roll on bag fall backwards down an escalator because their bag got caught? I've always put mine on the step ahead of me, but my DH didn't at LAX and it got caught about 1/3 of the way up and he fell all the way down the escaltor and fractured his spine. It's a bit of prevention on their part I'm sure. Too many people are dragging a bag, carrying a boarding bag and can't really hold on. We always use an elevator now. I don't care how long a line may be. That ship is not going to pull out without you.

They had someone standing at each escalator to make sure that if you had a wheel suitcase that you carried it instead of resting it on the step in front of you. We had a small suitcase that was light so it was no problem for my husband to pick it up off the steps. When we were disembarking they were actually custom officials at each escalator who were very adamant, almost to the point of being rude, that you did not put down your luggage.

Getting on the ship it was pier employees. Getting off the ship it was definitely customs officials. Full uniform and everything. There was also pier employees there but they directed everything to the customs people.

Archived