CDC Warning Re: Diphtheria

In preparation for our Baltic cruise next month, I requested health information from the CDC for both Eastern and Western Europe. I received their reply yesterday, and was surprised by the following warning:

"An outbreak of diphtheria is occuring in all the states of the former Soviet Union. Travelers to these areas should be sure that their diphtheria immunization is up to date." This info is contained in CDC Document #220240.

I'd suggest that Baltic cruisers check with their doctor right away. The CDC recommends that shots be received 4-6 weeks prior to departure.

Jack

You know, I was just looking on the CDC website yesterday and read the same thing. I haven't had a booster in 12 years, so I guess I need to do that. I wonder if it matters on a booster how long prior to the cruise. We will be in St P Aug 4 and 5.

I thought about not bothering with it, as I also read that it is rare for tourists to contract it. But no point in taking risks, 1 in 10 people who contract diptheria die from it.

:)

We keep updated with our diptheria shots. Looked at our records and see that we need to booster shots in a couple of years.

Our doctor insisted a few years ago that we get the hepatitus shots - both A and B.

And on some cruises we have had to take malaria pills.

:)

"An outbreak of diphtheria is occuring in all the states of the former Soviet Union. Travelers to these areas should be sure that their diphtheria immunization is up to date." This info is contained in CDC Document #220240.
The advice is good, although the tense used in the warning is a little misleading. It's been like this for many years now.

Good public service message. I had read it in the cruise line info but did not run with it to far. My wife did some followup and found that it is included with the shot one would receive with a tetnus booster - 2 in 1, if you will. A tetnus booster is good for about 10 years so assume diphtheria would be the same. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm pretty sure that the diphtheria and tetanus combined vaccine is a 10 year job.

Slightly off the topic, if anyone's thinking about hepatitis A there's a 10 year version for that too. You need an initial shot, and then a booster a year later to take you to ten.

My travel clinic always tells me that I shouldn't travel as far as the office without hep A, tetanus, polio and typhoid. And those four will do you for most places you'll ever think about travelling to, at least on a regular basis.

Good public service message. I had read it in the cruise line info but did not run with it to far. My wife did some followup and found that it is included with the shot one would receive with a tetnus booster - 2 in 1, if you will. A tetnus booster is good for about 10 years so assume diphtheria would be the same. Can anyone confirm this?

That's what they told me at the health center I called to schedule my shot.

You're not too late to get your booster. Two weeks is recommended, but we went and got our shots yesterday at our travel clinic. They said two weeks is recommended but that you will be protected in less time.

We also got our Hep A shot. There is a new vaccine that is lifetime protection once you get the second shot.

We got our deptheria and Tetanus shots today.....can't even remember when we had our last ones. They told me if you ever go to the emergency room you get one as a matter ou course. The shots cost $45 for each of us and weren't covered by insurance! That was a shock! Anyway thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll check out the hep A shots next week.

Yvon

We got our deptheria and Tetanus shots today.....can't even remember when we had our last ones. They told me if you ever go to the emergency room you get one as a matter ou course. The shots cost $45 for each of us and weren't covered by insurance! That was a shock! Anyway thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll check out the hep A shots next week.

Yvon

How badly did it hurt?

Signed, A great big Chicken.

I'm not the poster you were looking for, but we just got ours day before yesterday. It was like a little pin prick--barely felt it. And I'm not a big needle lover, either. It didn't hurt as bad as when they stick your finger. I've had no side effects at all. My husband's arm has been sore for the last two days. The cost hurt more than the needle.:D

I received several surprises in my attempt to get the Tet/Diph and Hepatitis-A vaccinations. First, I was surprised that our primary care doctors had only the Tet/Diph vaccine. Secondly, I was shocked that in the city and environs of Orlando there are only two places that have the other most common vaccines (Typhoid, Hep A&B, Cholera, etc.) and they're both associated with local hospitals. Even the Orange County Health Dept. is no longer in the business of vaccinating the traveling public.

And the third surprise was the asking price for getting the shots. The charge at Orlando Regional Medical Center's Travel Assistance Unit is $55 for the Hepatitis-A vaccine (per person); $25 each for the Tetanus-Diphteria vaccine; and $25 per person for administration of the injections. Total for my wife and myself -- $210! Fortunately, my insurance covered about half of the cost. But I'm sure that many insurance plans don't. Preventive medicine doesn't come cheap any more.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was just looking at the Princess site re: Getting Ready to Go and found they recommend checking in w/ the CDC for vaccinations. When I checked the CDC site, http://www.cdc.gov/travel/easteurp.htm, they list several shots. Looks like I'll be seeing the Doc before I go. Haven't had the TET/Diph for years. Ah well, guess I should get the physical before the wedding night anyway:D .

Archived